Wing defence: the most underrated and influential of netball positions

Home Forum Australia Wing defence: the most underrated and influential of netball positions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ash72 Jun 13, 2019 at 6:19 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ian

JR

I tried to post the link to that article as both a new thread and on the Vixens thread….didn’t work either time, even tho’ when I checked my contributions it was there as a reply to the Vixens thread.

Anywhos ……I thought it was an interesting article – the multitude of stats – both of the WDs and their opponents was great. Tho’ I do think I saw Renae gobble up 3 intercepts at least, not just the two mentioned in the article.

Thanks for posting the link Ian.

amandalouise

Loved the statistical analysis, thanks. A long time ago when I was coaching juniors netball, I took them to a Sydney game. The Wing Defence was Selina Gilsenen. I then had a nightmare rest of the season as EVERY girl wanted to play wing defence! A good wing defence can definitely be a match winner.

JR

SELINA! What a star she was…..I saw her in a snippet recently and was so happy to be reminded of her.

Pardalote

WD’s – are always my favourite players (perhaps helped by the fact that it was the bib I was given – when I was not warming the bench – in the upper Kumbukta Thirds last century). I started with McKinnis, then Squire/Sholz, Lesley Nicol in NZ, then Gilsenen, Hallinan/Ingles, Guthrie, Clarke, Simpson. Braz is a current favourite, and I prefer Moloney to be playing WD, although it is probably better for the team for her to be playing C. But I cannot enjoy Price’s play – too much force, too little subtlety. Perhaps she will persuade me at this WC

Ash72

Great read-maybe because I’ve been playing WD over the last few years😀!

It’s true though a good WD can shut down the WA and puts heaps of pressure on the shooters to work harder to receive the ball .This often causes them to turn over the ball. I play all three midcourt positions but WD is my favourite, as I think it’s easier to read what’s happening from that position.

My favourite WD is Guthrie, she made a name for herself in that position and has provided some of the most incredible intercepts ever when playing it.

For some reason in England we seem to keep producing great WD’s and I definitely think it’s an area the Diamonds could improve on. I’m just watching Ingles play WD in the 2015 WC and to my mind the Diamonds haven’t managed to replace her with an equally good WD in their current WC squad.

Ash72

Actually though, watching the whole Diamonds team performance at 2015 WC -I’m not sure whether they’ve replaced any of them with like for like players: that was such an incredibly strong and talented team and all at the top of their game. There was power all over the court: Geitz and Corletto though- just wow! And the bench too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.