What is happening with the management of Netball Scoop

Home Forum Site Feedback What is happening with the management of Netball Scoop

This topic contains 22 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Deano Jun 17, 2019 at 9:47 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Pardalote

Bluffers guide: We have a new Committee, are rebuilding the website, and NEED YOUR DONATIONS

Those of you who have been following Netball Scoop for a while will know that Michael Hutchinson stepped down as Chair and one of the key drivers of the site late last year. A few people stepped in to take over Michael’s many roles, and, behind the scenes we have gradually been getting our paperwork and processes sorted. We now have a new Committee, which you can read about in the About Us part of the site. It comprises most of the stalwarts from the old team, plus a few new people to provide new blood and fresh ideas. I am delighted to report that we have continued to have the – voluntary – services of two people who are crucial to the professional conduct and output of the site, Ian Harkin and Jenny Sinclair. From trawling the internet for relevant articles, keeping spammers at bay, to running Fantasy Netball comps, soccer sweeps and a million other things, this place could simply not exist without Ian, and his patience as we ask him to provide myriad bits of information is admirable. If you enjoy the articles and photography on Netball Scoop, work that is of consistent high quality, you have Jenny Sinclair to thank for that. As Managing Editor Jenny does a small but significant part of the writing and none of the photographs, but she has also recruited our talented team, and leads them with a steadfast commitment to quality work and integrity.

I am sure that you will join me in thanking Jenny and Ian, and all of the committee and contributors for their hard work  and excellent contribution.

People are absolutely key to the running of Netball Scoop, but they are not the only thing. We need a well maintained, robust website which can handle all of the numerous tasks we throw at it. We have a very dedicated and able technical support person, Jackie McBride from Abletec, who looks after the technical aspects of the site for us (and is the only person who receives a – ridiculously small – regular payment for her work). Many of you have seen her recent posts about the measures she is taking to defend the site from spammers and hackers.   Jackie has been warning the Committee for a while that the infrastructure of the site is old and staggering, and will need to be rebuilt rather than repaired once again. We have taken her advice, and are in the process of contracting to get a new site built and operational in time for the Netball World Cup. We will keep you informed as things progress.

But we need your help. Rebuilding the site costs lots of money for a small, not-for-profit voluntary organisation like ours. Paying for this will leave the coffers empty, so we need to raise more funds, ASAP, which is where you come in. The easiest way for Netball Scoop to raise money is through donations from netball fans who enjoy the services we provide, with no strings (or data theft) attached. It has always been a delight to me that this site is immune from all of the digital tracking that blights so many other places on the internet. We do not sell any information about our users, or allow tracking or other dubious activities. We do not make money out of any of your visits to the site, and do not intend to change that practice. We do sell a small amount of non-invasive advertising, relevant to netball fans, and will continue to do that, but as we stand advertising alone is enough to sustain Netball Scoop’s activities.

So, if you have not donated for a while and have a few dollars to spare, please go to the donation button and give us what you can. Some of you already make regular donations, and we are very grateful for that expression of ongoing support. If you are not in a position to give us any money at the moment, please do not feel guilty; that is what makes the Scoop community so wonderful – we give information, views, analysis and occasionally money when we are in a position to do so, and happily receive the contributions of others when we need to. All are welcome here.

I will update you shortly on our very exciting plans for comprehensive coverage of the Netball World Cup

jabes

After having some involvement with Netball Scoop behind the scenes, the amount of work that goes into keeping this site up and running for our enjoyment is astonishing – and apart from Jackie, this is all done on a purely voluntary basis.

I will most certainly be donating and can’t wait to see what is in store for the World Cup! There’s no-where else we can get such dedicated and insightful netty news!

minkie

Appreciate all you do

Thankyou everyone

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Direct debt continuing

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Pardalote

Thanks Minkie

Pardalote

We do sell a small amount of non-invasive advertising, relevant to netball fans, and will continue to do that, but as we stand advertising alone is enough to sustain Netball Scoop’s activities.

Oops, I missed a NOT in there. It should, read that advertising alone is not enough to sustain….

But I am sure you get the picture

Turningpoint

I’ll check the budget and press go. Done.

I just read the team’s profile.

No words here. It’s a talented group for sure. I thank Ian for steering the road (and on occasion my road) and Jenny is such an articulant. She’s that good that I made up a word for her. Is that a verb or a noun?

AllieC

The work that goes into this site is incredible. I think some people take for granted that the content is all via volunteers including the fantastic match reports and incredible photography.

If you enjoy the site, please consider making a small donation. Every dollar counts.

RSI

Thanks Ian and Jenny.

And thanks, Parda. I’m not sure if I’ve missed something but I can’t see how to donate.

Ian

Should be on the right hand side if you click on the forum home page. https://www.netballscoop.com/forums/latest/

And I’m donating too, because I want to keep this thing going.

amandalouise

Thanks to all those involved behind the scenes for the amazing amount of work you do to keep Netball Scoop as the best source of all netball knowledge on the internet!

I used to donate regularly and am not in a position to do so at the moment – I will go back to giving when I can, but in the meantime, Parda I really appreciate your message not to feel guilty if you can’t give $ (because I do feel bad that this site is something which gives me so much pleasure – it’s the only site I visit more than once every day).

Thanks again everyone

James

I’ve never donated before and just tried to but I don’t have a paypal account – I selected to donate with a card and twice got a message “Something Went Wrong” I’m using an iPhone 8. Will try later on a computer to see if it is any different

poshjerry

I think a ball park figure may have been mentioned last year that gave an indication on the dollar amount of donations that were required to keep the site running, and how much more was needed to reach that target.

Would that knowledge be helpful for readers again to be able to put it into perspective?

Pardalote

I’ve never donated before and just tried to but I don’t have a paypal account – I selected to donate with a card and twice got a message “Something Went Wrong” I’m using an iPhone 8. Will try later on a computer to see if it is any different

Can anybody help James out? Is the card donation system working for others?

James

Can anybody help James out? Is the card donation system working for others?

I ended up just creating a PayPal account and have now donated, will do more when I can

NZChampion

Will be donating this week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.