Tracey Nevilles pencil

Home Forum United Kingdom Tracey Nevilles pencil

This topic contains 58 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Jinxibo May 19, 2019 at 6:59 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    TheBroadbean

I think there has been an ongoing argument with Francis and England Netball so not sure if she will ever wear the England dress again which is shame as I think she deserves it.

Quashie is someone I would name. Think she’s impressed me in all the games I’ve seen her play.

BibsInTheAir

Ah thanks for that – that’s too bad as she would be very deserving. Agree that Quashie has been very good in the VNSL games and probably my pick for that fourth spot if Francis isn’t a viable option.

netballnut

Yes, I assumed that Francis was not an option – from what we’ve seen of the other contenders in defence, Quashie is definitely in the best form.

Jinxibo

To me the current best defender for England after Mentor, Guscoth and EUB is Stacey Francis. Despite the Fevers below par games, she’s been in pretty good form, certainly far more so than Agbeze. Has she called it quits on playing internationally? I can’t recall ever seeing an official announcement about it, so unsure what’s going on there.

You are right. She probably would have been selected for the CWG 2018 but made herself unavailable. As far as i know she still is not available for internationals … the reason :dontknow:

Bluebird

It is a shame that Francis currently doesn’t want to play internationally, whatever the reason that may change in the future. At least Roses don’t have this fake retiring nonsense to save face. With Roses if you are dropped there’s no reason why you cannot have another crack at it later on.

Jinxibo

Cookey said TNev will be telling individual players if they have been selected tomorrow but the formal announcement will be in a few weeks :crazy_pilot:

Ash72

Well based on that I’d say Dunn and Clarke both look solid enough. Williams had a good game and is a definite contender for that final defender’s spot: although I’d agree with others that Quashie is also showing excellent form and could make the squad instead.

Panagarry wasn’t as good as she’s been but I’d say that’s probably because, other than Cholhok, the rest of her team were weak. They had a strong first quarter but then faded out and kept running away from the ball carrier!

Player of the match for me was definitely Amy Flannagan:she is such a match winner-shame she’s never appeared to be in the Roses mix?

Ash72

Guthrie looking good-best I’ve seen her play this season. EUB solid too so both looking on form and certain to be selected. I also thought Laura Malcolm had a fabulous game-really steady and available through court.

So my current picks (assuming no Cobden or Pitman) are:

Harten, Housby, Dunn, Fisher

Guthrie, Clarke, Haythornthwaite, Panagarry *

Mentor, EUB, Guscoth, Williams

*if I was picking irrespective of who is in Roses programme etc I’d take Amy Flanagan (best WD in Superleague, who is also good at C)

Jinxibo

Amy Flanagan hmm, a bolter ??

TheBroadbean

As much as I like Amy Flanagan I don’t think they will take another WD/C option. (You’re a bit short on WA options there Ash!)

I think Pitman will be okay but they need another WA as well as Haythornthwaite so will probably go with Sasha Corbin if she isn’t as I hope they won’t go for Clarke/Guthrie there!

Fisher going for me was based on Cobden and if she was fit enough. It looks like that plan will be scuppered after today’s game so I reckon she will be the other shooter with Nat H going as a mid courter now.

I would probably go with:

Harten, Housby, Dunn, Fisher

Guthrie, Clarke, Haythornthwaite, Pitman

Mentor, EUB, Guscoth, Quashie

You’ve got 2 WA’s, 2 Centres and 3 WD’s.

Jinxibo

Interesting BB and Ash but what is Quashie’s second position ?

TheBroadbean

She’d be a GD.

I can’t remember if I’ve seen her play there before though!

Haha even Geva has played WD…!

Ash72

Seems like we “mostly” agree Broadbean apart from I’ve got Williams over Quashie and then Sasha: she’s too flaky…….In all of the Mavericks games I’ve watched , I’ve actually thought Georgia Lees was the most effective attacking feeder and she plays WA better than Sasha. You’re right about my team though: it would rely on Haythornthwaite playing WA in all of the big games for a whole 60 minutes!😂

Ash72

The reason I’ve gone for Fran Williams over Quashie  (who I agree is also brilliant), is that I think we need a different defensive strategy against South Africa. We really seem to struggle against their shooting circle (especially Potgeiter, who isn’t intimidated by Mentor at all), and Fran plays a different style to our other defenders so may offer something new?

TheBroadbean

Yes it’s a tough call with Williams v Quashie.

Quashie is very like EUB and Williams does offer something different!

Not a lot of WA’s around. Georgia Lees is very good but I think she’ll pick experience if Pitman isn’t recovered from her leg injury.

I do worry that players have just come back too early from injuries and are now paying the price unfortunately.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.