Tracey Neville to step down after World Cup

Home Forum United Kingdom Tracey Neville to step down after World Cup

This topic contains 46 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Ash72 Jun 13, 2019 at 5:37 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    englishrose21

Its regrettable that the implication from this is that pregnancy/babies and the national coaching role are mutually exclusive….. Tracey Neville guided them to a gold Medal -its be offering her around the clock nannies, IVF and anything else i could manage if i was in charge at England Netball….

I genuinely hope that this is truly a ‘choice’ for Tracey and that it reflects the type of parent she hopes to be, rather than because she sees the role as untenable

I assume by standing down she doesn’t want to have ‘round the clock nannies’. She 100% deserves to have time to spend with her child. It’s a case of England netball respecting her decision, hence why she gave them so much notice to find her replacement. It’s not as though they have the budget to pay her loads and would it really be worth effectively missing the first years of your child’s life? I wouldn’t want tht for someone who has changed England Netball and got us to this stage.

Pardalote

As a wise person once said, one of the great gifts of life is to know when you have done your best work. Go out with them wanting more, I reckon

Fluffy

Its regrettable that the implication from this is that pregnancy/babies and the national coaching role are mutually exclusive….. Tracey Neville guided them to a gold Medal -its be offering her around the clock nannies, IVF and anything else i could manage if i was in charge at England Netball….

I genuinely hope that this is truly a ‘choice’ for Tracey and that it reflects the type of parent she hopes to be, rather than because she sees the role as untenable.

This IS England Netball you’re talking about Monty!  :acute: :biggrin:

Have been thinking about the timing, though – any decent employer would ask for three months notice for any job, and if the new cycle starts straight after the NWC they surely want someone in place to pick that up from the get go?

The other person who hasn’t been mentioned yet is Thirlby, but I’m wondering if she’s had enough success for the job?  She’s well respected at Bath?  Would personally still prefer Obst to get it if she can be released by Thunderbirds….or what’s Lyn Gunson up to now?  She was responsible for the current crop of internationals coming through in the first place – with a clearout predicted after NWC, maybe she should be weaving her magic again?

Fluffy

I genuinely hope that this is truly a ‘choice’ for Tracey and that it reflects the type of parent she hopes to be, rather than because she sees the role as untenable.

This IS England Netball you’re talking about Monty!  :acute: :biggrin:

Have been thinking about the timing, though – any decent employer would ask for three months notice for any job, and if the new cycle starts straight after the NWC they surely want someone in place to pick that up from the get go?

The other person who hasn’t been mentioned yet is Thirlby, but I’m wondering if she’s had enough success for the job?  She’s well respected at Bath?  Would personally still prefer Obst to get it if she can be released by Thunderbirds….or what’s Lyn Gunson up to now?  She was responsible for the current crop of internationals coming through in the first place – with a clearout predicted after NWC, maybe she should be weaving her magic again?

englishrose21

This IS England Netball you’re talking about Monty! :acute: :biggrin:

The other person who hasn’t been mentioned yet is Thirlby, but I’m wondering if she’s had enough success for the job? She’s well respected at Bath? Would personally still prefer Obst to get it if she can be released by Thunderbirds….or what’s Lyn Gunson up to now? She was responsible for the current crop of internationals coming through in the first place – with a clearout predicted after NWC, maybe she should be weaving her magic again?

I read on a Sky News article with Joanna Adams the CEO  of EN that the next ‘season/training’ for England begins on 3rd September so that would have been 3 months, they hoped to have someone by then so that Tracey could do a handover.

I think Thirlby would be great, is that why she left Bath? I definitely think she’s had enough success, they won 4 Superleague titles under her guidance! Also she’s coached England A.

I like the idea of Karen Atkinson but she’s just taken on the Sirens job and lives in Italy? Would it be too much to take on?

Obviously Tamsin has said she’s keen for the job but will it be possible for her to take over in September?

I don’t think Tania Obst would even consider it, she’s got her Thunderbirds to develop and it would be too much of a juggle I think. Additionally EN CEO said they would prioritise someone English

Lyn Gunson, she mentored Janine Southby when the ferns were going down the pan, other than that I have no idea but I think if she isn’t heavily involved with English netball she wouldn’t be an option.

TheBroadbean

One person we haven’t mentioned……. Olivia Murphy.

Ash72

When is Tamsin Greenway’s baby actually due?

englishrose21

When is Tamsin Greenway’s baby actually due?

If she announced at 3 months (who knows she may be further along) she’d be due end of November

Ash72

Hmm,  she’s so ambitious  (which I admire) I can still see her taking the job if it’s offered. I think that all of the others being mentioned all could do the job too but my gut feeling is that Greenway was born for the role!

Bluebird

I have no idea who Tamsin’s partner is but she did say she had found someone that was incredibly supportive of her netball so it really wouldn’t surprise me if she did go for it. Let’s face it, if England Netball want the best English coach then all they need to do is make it work by giving the best support possible. And this should filter down to VNSL club level because pregnancy is something they’ve managed to ignore up until now.

But I’d totally understand why Greenway might wait until the next opportunity.

Fluffy

I really want this to be the best COACH available for the job, not the best English coach for the job – England are on a roll now, and we need to make sure the net is as wide as possible.  Look what Plums has done for SA.

TB

Tania Obst could still be considered for the role. She would be doing exactly what NT is doing.

How much of a “game changer” it would be if NT is successful at the WC and takes Gold? I don’t know if its been discussed on here, but I wonder how much of say(or influence) NT had on Kimi Poi playing for Magpies?

Someone mentioned on another thread, how much influence Norma Plummer has, on getting SA players into the SSN comp?

Its the perfect comp to push international players into, seeing there is no import cap.

Jinxibo

I really want this to be the best COACH available for the job, not the best English coach for the job – England are on a roll now, and we need to make sure the net is as wide as possible. Look what Plums has done for SA.

I agree Fluffy. When EN give Dan Ryan the U21 role a few years ago i believed they were lining him up for this role. Since his season with the Thunderbirds i’m not so sure.

They won’t get Plum, i think she is enjoying her time at SA too much. What about Jill McIntosh? would they consider Mel Hyndman? i didn’t realise she was based in the UK

TheBroadbean

Yes Melissa Hyndman is actually the Director of Netball at Queen Ethelburga’s Private School in York where I’m from (haven’t seen her around though!)

englishrose21

Tania Obst could still be considered for the role. She would be doing exactly what NT is doing.

How much of a “game changer” it would be if NT is successful at the WC and takes Gold? I don’t know if its been discussed on here, but I wonder how much of say(or influence) NT had on Kimi Poi playing for Magpies?

Someone mentioned on another thread, how much influence Norma Plummer has, on getting SA players into the SSN comp?

Its the perfect comp to push international players into, seeing there is no import cap.

But isn’t it NT last season with Lightning before she solely focuses on the ferns? Not a fact but it’s widely believed to be the case? As she isn’t contracted next year for Lightning.

I don’t think EN will enter into a new four year cycle with someone who is juggling a domestic and national team.

It was circumstance that meant NT found herself doing it but it’s far from ideal and not how you’d start a new four year cycle.

Also assuming there is the large numbers of retirement in the roses that has been suggested the new up and coming players need more support?

Happy to be proved wrong though, I’m not against TO.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.