TEAM BATH 2019

Home Forum United Kingdom TEAM BATH 2019

This topic contains 136 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Ash72 Apr 22, 2019 at 10:19 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Bath Hammer

I do wonder if she is putting all her effort & focus in winning the netball World Cup with England & not making quite the same impact with Bath, being primarily concerned not to pick up an injury.

Bath Hammer

The top 4 currently look well set to remain there, each team capable of beating the other. We had a good win against Thunder so aren’t a million miles away  but our form & consistency needs to improve significantly or one of the top 4 to have a slump for us to make the play offfs in my view.

Fluffy

I do wonder if she is putting all her effort & focus in winning the netball World Cup with England & not making quite the same impact with Bath, being primarily concerned not to pick up an injury.

I personally worry that her form will start to dip now she’s not being challenged by the very best, week in week out.  As an England fan, I’d like to see her not having to try and do it all, which seems to be her role at times in the Bath line up.

Ian

Fluffy

<script async=”” src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Anyone go to this one?  It’s SO frustrating the lack of coverage that Sky is giving to netball, despite a) having the property for years and b) all the interest generated by CWG…all that goodwill towards netball will ebb away if EN isn’t careful and if we don’t win the NWC, well…..

Seriously, though, did Stars play out of their socks, or Bath not really fire?  Seems much closer than I’d have expected it to be on paper.  Would love to see a report…or get some feedback…or anything :rolleyes:

Ash72

I personally worry that her form will start to dip now she’s not being challenged by the very best, week in week out. As an England fan, I’d like to see her not having to try and do it all, which seems to be her role at times in the Bath line up.

I agree with you Fluffy, I was immediately concerned when I heard she was coming “home” to Bath. They are not the same team she left, to play in Australia and I think there is too much pressure being put upon her to help them get to finals. I’ve always thought that Serena plays best when the players around her are also playing well and everyone sticks to a game plan; she goes a bit awol when this doesnt happen. I personally don’t think she copes with this sort of pressure and I’m worried about her form going into WC.

Bath Hammer

I agree with you Fluffy, I was immediately concerned when I heard she was coming “home” to Bath. They are not the same team she left, to play in Australia and I think there is too much pressure being put upon her to help them get to finals. I’ve always thought that Serena plays best when the players around her are also playing well and everyone sticks to a game plan; she goes a bit awol when this doesnt happen. I personally don’t think she copes with this sort of pressure and I’m worried about her form going into WC.

As an interested observer but in no way an expert it seemed to me there were high hopes for this season so the lacklustre nature of the performances is disappointing. Is it a lack of player quality or coaching compared to rival teams?

Bath Hammer

I am aware that Bath have continually produced excellent netball players who have gone on to success elsewhere but why has the core team comparatively underperformed  for a number of years now after having been the top team from the inception of the super league? Yes, it was always likely that other teams would catch up but the best we seem to be able to do now is maybe scrape into the top 4 but with little hope of winning the league whereas a team like Wasps can be newly formed and immediately achieve sustained success. I ask again, is there a change of policy to favour young up and coming players, do we not attract the absolutely best players or is it a coaching issue. This could be a good site if more people contributed and there were fewer official tweets posted.

Ash72

I think you would have to question what the coaches are doing. They have some amazing players but their results don’t reflect this.

I think the issues in the last few years have been with the unsettled shooting partnerships and now that Drakeford-Lewis is there as a solid GA, I would have thought they would build the attacking end around her. It doesn’t seem to have happened in the televised games I’ve watched though; she seems to be taken off when she’s doing a good job and they bring Rudland on, who doesn’t put up the same volume of shots or have the same accuracy.

Bringing in the 2 import shooters was a mistake: Kim Commane has been the better of the 2 and thus Friday is surplus to requirements. Surely a set up like Bath has a young GS to bring through and develop?

I often think Rachel Shaw is not feeding her shooters consistently good ball and wonder if a change at WA would be a better move than switching the shooters up? I know Mia Ritchie is a C/WD, but she’s fast, skillful and has good vision into the circle so maybe they could try her at WA?

They keep taking Imogen Allison off and moving Guthrie back to WD:why??!!!

Hey, I’m no expert but I do think some of the coaching decisions are odd and it’s frustrating to watch!

Bath Hammer

That’s interesting Ash. It does seem that the same substitutions are continually being made & not working. Some re-thinking seems to be called for because we are not going to trouble the top 4 playing like this. It will be interesting to hear other people’s views.

Ian

Bath Hammer

So we haven’t slipped up in the recent matches against bottom half teams & today there was a better margin on the road but now we have the heavy lifting to do with encounters against 4 of the top 5 teams in the next 5 matches. How we do against those teams will define our season. We look as if we may be off the pace but let’s hope we are coming good at the right time.

Fluffy

I think you would have to question what the coaches are doing. They have some amazing players but their results don’t reflect this.

I think the issues in the last few years have been with the unsettled shooting partnerships and now that Drakeford-Lewis is there as a solid GA, I would have thought they would build the attacking end around her. It doesn’t seem to have happened in the televised games I’ve watched though; she seems to be taken off when she’s doing a good job and they bring Rudland on, who doesn’t put up the same volume of shots or have the same accuracy.

Bringing in the 2 import shooters was a mistake: Kim Commane has been the better of the 2 and thus Friday is surplus to requirements. Surely a set up like Bath has a young GS to bring through and develop?

I often think Rachel Shaw is not feeding her shooters consistently good ball and wonder if a change at WA would be a better move than switching the shooters up? I know Mia Ritchie is a C/WD, but she’s fast, skillful and has good vision into the circle so maybe they could try her at WA?

They keep taking Imogen Allison off and moving Guthrie back to WD:why??!!!

Hey, I’m no expert but I do think some of the coaching decisions are odd and it’s frustrating to watch!

Much of Bath’s success came when the great Lyn Gunson was at the helm of the club – and let’s face it, they couldn’t really fail with the likes of Cookey, Dunn, Mentor and co in their line up.

Think that the coaching has a LOT to do with it – unfortunately, Anna Stembridge didn’t light things up when she was England coach and now seems to be back to the “chuck all the bibs in the middle” school of sorting out problems.  Moving Imogen Allison is a total mistake, however good Guthrie is at WD (which I think is her better position), Ritchie I’m sure was a C/WA before, and Friday really seems surplus to requirements.  If I was coaching (fat chance!) I’d put my starting seven on and get them to work it through – they’ve certainly got the dreaded P word in spades, but just don’t seem capable of delivering

Bath Hammer

So, what is the view on squad strength between the top 5 teams? Do the best players tend to seek out the best coaches, everything else being equal, or is recruitment superior in, say, Wasps than it is at Bath?

Ian

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.