Super Netball ponders change as season reaches halfway

Home Forum Australia Super Netball ponders change as season reaches halfway

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Turningpoint Jun 16, 2019 at 10:12 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Turningpoint

It would be interesting to see the correlation between the audience plateauing and the reduction of free to air games going from 4 to 2.

It would be difficult to increase the squads from 10-12 without increasing the cap by 2 x $30,000.00 (player minimum). $60,000 per Franchise or $480,000.00 across the competition.

There is also an exponential cost increase. From housing to insurances to transport and game day.

Given that after this year 2 years remain on the TV deal it would be interesting how or where the $480k or $960 will come from over the 2 years.

The SCL gameday raise is circa 3000 x $50.00 = $150,000.00 x 7 = $1,050,000.00. Membership around $500,000.00. Sponsors? Wages outside top 10? 25-30% of turnover? I’m just thinking out loud. I don’t know the real numbers.

Over 2 weeks. Say home then away. I would suggest that there’s not what I expected to be left over. So maybe som wiggle room. As a member I must admit, I haven’t sighted the financials since I became a member.

I’m all for 12 in the squad. Rolling subs etc. But no 2 point shots.

But each of the clubs should demonstrate where they sit with  affordability. Some are run by associations responsible for grass roots. I’m just summising. I don’t know. Maybe I’m way off the mark.

Ian

You don’t necessarily have to increase the squad of 10. Game day squads can be increased to 12 by adding a couple of training partners each week. That’s what they’re allowed to do in NZ.

Nesian

ANZ need to become more proactive. We’ve had the same product rolling out for 3 years now with no changes. I love how the SSN keeps trying to evolve.

Scott

Two point goals …. it’s a no from me.

For those that don’t like bonus points, I am guessing it is there until at least the end of the T.V. deal  because Channel Nine like it.

Rebound1977

No two point goals.

Rolling substitutions – yeah, don’t mind it but would have to be done in a way that would not delay the game too much.

Get rid of bonus points – counter-productive to developing new players.

No – to a third umpire.

Better commentators – YES!

Jbss

If you asked me at the start of the year I would’ve said we should have an extra umpire on each baseline to do the circle. After seeing how many umpires are new and still learning I don’t think we’re there yet.

netballcrazy1

Agree with all this but if the bonus point system is going to allow the people at Channel 9 to forget about the two-point shot then I can deal with the bonus points for a few years.

TrentA

ANZ need to become more proactive. We’ve had the same product rolling out for 3 years now with no changes. I love how the SSN keeps trying to evolve.

I agree.

Had an idea that they could add 2 extra teams.

One with a majority of U21 possibles mixed with say 3 Senior players.

The other a Pacific All Stars to give Fiji, Samoa etc a boost.

Don’t asked me to justify the logistics and costs. That’s not in my remit. 😀

Beko can stay at 6 teams, just expand it to 2 full rounds rather than 1 and a half rounds like it is currently.

Jbss

It’s funny trentA because I was thinking if teams aren’t going to be able to play young players due to BPs and if people are calling for two extra teams then I think the SSN should have an AIS team and an ANL rising stars team where the best players from last year’s ANL form a team and play in SSN where hopefully from there they can earn a contract playing for one of the franchise’s. Unfortunately how this all would fit in with current training partner pathways and the like is beyond me and I’m really just hoping the BPs see their way to the door in 2020.

Turningpoint

I have to check my memory.

But before bonus points. I recall there was a distinct lack of bench use in the old ANZ comp.

I am happy to be corrected. It will be my first mistake this year.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

ANZ need to expand. Agree with Trent, add a Pacific island team (develop world netball)
    Logistics might be hard though.

mcleod

ANZ need to expand. Agree with Trent, add a Pacific island team (develop world netball)

Would be to costly.

Turningpoint

Would be to costly.

1/3 of business’ got out of business because they run out of cash.

Either starting or expanding.

My gut feel is that the initial upfront and/or ongoing costs would need some cash on hand.  The income wouldn’t catch up to expenses for some time. And that’s not my job.

mcleod

Would be to costly.

1/3 of business’ got out of business because they run out of cash.

Either starting or expanding.

My gut feel is that the initial upfront and/or ongoing costs would need some cash on hand. The income wouldn’t catch up to expenses for some time. And that’s not my job.

Rugby Union has never expanded into the Pacific Islands for the Super Rugby Comp.  We just have 3 inept teams from Australia.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.