Super Netball opportunities limited for new generation of shooters

Home Forum Australia Super Netball opportunities limited for new generation of shooters

This topic contains 28 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  AN91 May 18, 2019 at 11:32 pm.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    NettySuperFan

Players like Garbin are not getting game time because of the bonus point system.

Wallace and Housby are signed for 2 or 3 years so surely Garbin will move to get court time. She is far too good for bench warming.

To where? Not another Australian team, thats for sure. Swifts and Thunderbirds are the only teams in which she has a chance at taking the court.

James

I think this will be Thwaites last year, she wants to stay in Melbourne but obviously Magpies don’t want her and Vixens have Mwai coming back and I think they will prefer her over Thwaites, unless Thwaites does a Cox and is a bench impact player but that won’t do Diamonds hopes any favours

Id like to see Garbin move to Thunderbirds next year and partner with Glasgow as they would be close to be the Aussie shooting combo in a few years.

Austin to move to Firebirds and play GS with Tippett in GA once Romelda retires, which I think will be after a World Cup

Guyza

Yeah, it’s frustrating watching Stanton and ATN flail at the opportunity to lock down a starting GA bib, while Garbin and Austin are largely surplus to requirements, although I think once CBass/Harten settle that Austin will be used more often. Will be very interesting to see some of the movements for 2020 post-NWC.

Tully

Austin should go to Fever or if Maria retires post WC then to Thunderbirds; whilst garbin should go to Firebirds (to replace Aiken).

sevm

I would think Garbin would go to Brisbane, and Austin to Adelaide. Austin seems to be a more natural GA, and Garbin a more natural GS.

CharlesWB

Hmm . . . now I only have Fast 5 to go on, — yes I know, I know —  but please if we (Firebirds) get a choice can we please have Kiera Austen. :-)   Sophie Garbin did not impress me at all and at the time seemed to me over-rated. (I acknowledge that she may well have improved since then, I have not seen her play). I think an Austen/Tippett circle would be something to behold.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Garbin is a quality GS. I rate her higher than Austin!

Tully

I rate Austin higher but long term Garbin will be the better GS and Austin the GA. I think last year and the amount of court time received by Garbin may  have contributed to her being rated higher and the players voice article she wrote came across as very confident. However, I remember at the time thinking that the second year wouldn’t be as easy in particular with Haythornthwaite offering a legitimate shooting change up for the Swifts rather than Garbin. Whilst that hasn’t happened Housby and Wallace have showed their international class.

At fast 5 Austin was quite clearly the stronger performer. I put Glasgow in the same class as Garbin and Austin.

There is also Koenen who is improving at a great rate. Being a QLDer, the Firebirds may target her to replace Aiken in time. Koenen and Tippett would be a nice combination. I hope we see that.

CharlesWB

I rate Austin higher but long term Garbin will be the better GS and Austin the GA. I think last year and the amount of court time received by Garbin may have contributed to her being rated higher and the players voice article she wrote came across as very confident. However, I remember at the time thinking that the second year wouldn’t be as easy in particular with Haythornthwaite offering a legitimate shooting change up for the Swifts rather than Garbin. Whilst that hasn’t happened Housby and Wallace have showed their international class.

At fast 5 Austin was quite clearly the stronger performer. I put Glasgow in the same class as Garbin and Austin.

There is also Koenen who is improving at a great rate. Being a QLDer, the Firebirds may target her to replace Aiken in time. Koenen and Tippett would be a nice combination. I hope we see that.

Yeah, between folks here raving about her and that article (which I actually categorised as *over* confident — or a bit self-important) and then finally seeing her at Fast 5, I was extremely underwhelmed by Sophie Garbin.  I don’t say she will never be a Diamond, but I think she is a couple of seasons away from even the larger squad.

Glasgow has certainly impressed. Hell even Amy  Sommerville has, considering how little court-time she has had.

EastWest

I would never fully judge a player by their performance at Fast 5, particularly a shooter. Garbin can’t really cover GA so that is probably her biggest weakness. But she has an excellent hold for a “shorter” GS and with proper rotation she finds great position under the post, but she needs both the C and WA there to help with that – something she doesn’t have in Fast 5. And to add to her game she needs regular court time and performance coaching.

Austin is a great talent but again needs court time. Something else I’d like to see from her is some more aggression in the way she takes and delivers the ball. She is comfortable shooting from anywhere but every time she has the ball it seems she isn’t always 100% sure what she’s going to do.

naks10

Garbin played great on Sunday arvo in ANL – Malesala was at GA, O’Brien at WA. Ball flew around the circle and found Garbin easily.

ahdz

Are we able to watch the ANL games anywhere?

Turningpoint

Are we able to watch the ANL games anywhere?

Yes. It is about time this started getting coverage on Telstra.

I’m not sure about a 2 camera 2 commentator call (even commentators in training). I don’t understand the cost. I’d be happy to commentate the local game free of charge. There is a possible 4 week exposure in July?

Video/Televised footage gives SSN teams opportunity to scout players outside of their franchises.

Just a thought.

AN91

I’ve noticed that Netball Queensland live stream the rounds that they host on their Facebook page. The quality of video is quite high and they tend to get in some local netball players/coaches to commentate. Would be great if other state bodies got on board!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.