Super Netball opportunities limited for new generation of shooters

Home Forum Australia Super Netball opportunities limited for new generation of shooters

This topic contains 28 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  AN91 May 18, 2019 at 11:32 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Pardalote

Chatfield said another big challenge for goalers was dealing with the increased physical demands of playing at the top level.

“I find with shooters, quite often when they’re younger they dominate in that area because they’re generally taller and no one can out-rebound them, but as they start to get older and defenders get a bit tougher on them, then that’s when they have to put the real work in.”

Of course, Chatfield would say that. But it is nonetheless probably true; many of the players with mongrel end up in the defense end.

Bluebird

I would say the qtr bonus point system is probably preventing the younger Aussie shooters getting some SSN court time.  In VNSL and ANZP some teams will put on the younger players at the end to get court time. That’s just not happening in SSN unless there’s an injury or the team is playing so badly it’s the last resort.

TrentA

It will be interesting to see if the SSN brings in an import restriction.

ANZP has it set at 1 per team.

VNSL has it set at 3 per team but no more than one in each area of the court can play on court at the same time. I think that’s how it works if my memory serves me.

If there is a shortage of shooters and it’s due to the pressure of the position, then surely putting in resources to help the younger shooters cope with that pressure will assist with retaining those players.

NZ has had a lack of shooting talent for many years. And a lot of aspiring shooters ended up at the other end of the court. The Beko League and the ANZP have now seen a large number of options presenting themselves. But NZ could’ve found itself in the same position as there were 4 teams with Imports playing in the shooting circle. Mystics had Brice, Stars have Hodges, Steel have Potgeiter and Tactix have Beveridge. So whilst the Import limit is set at 1 per team, it would appear that there is no restriction on which area of the court those Imports can play in.

Dissy

VNSL has it set at 3 per team but no more than one in each area of the court can play on court at the same time. I think that’s how it works if my memory serves me.

If there is a shortage of shooters and it’s due to the pressure of the position, then surely putting in resources to help the younger shooters cope with that pressure will assist with retaining those players.

NZ has had a lack of shooting talent for many years. And a lot of aspiring shooters ended up at the other end of the court. The Beko League and the ANZP have now seen a large number of options presenting themselves. But NZ could’ve found itself in the same position as there were 4 teams with Imports playing in the shooting circle. Mystics had Brice, Stars have Hodges, Steel have Potgeiter and Tactix have Beveridge. So whilst the Import limit is set at 1 per team, it would appear that there is no restriction on which area of the court those Imports can play in.

NB- Mystics never had Brice because she was never allowed to take the court…..so that import is now missing

TrentA

NB- Mystics never had Brice because she was never allowed to take the court…..so that import is now missing

To be pedantic, Mystics did have Brice. She was signed, presumably did the pre-season and played in their first game. The upside to that situation is that due to Brice not playing any further games, Nweke has been discovered and given the GS bib.

Actually the only import to play regularly is Potgeiter. Both Hodges and Beveridge have been on and off court all season. Not that their replacement players (Leaver and Halpenny) are going to be Silver Ferns options.

naks10

Brice isn’t missing anymore… she’s playing for GWS Fury in NSW Premier League… :-)

netballcrazy1

Brice isn’t missing anymore… she’s playing for GWS Fury in NSW Premier League… :-)

Interesting since the Mystic has said she was fulfilling her contract and that they were satisfied with that.

Edit: Just realised the ANZ season is over

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Players like Garbin are not getting game time because of the bonus point system.

Wallace and Housby are signed for 2 or 3 years so surely Garbin will move to get court time.  She is far too good for bench warming.

JR

I really like what the do in the competition in the VSNL where they allow 3 imports but there must only be one in each third.

But that won’t overcome the preponderance of imports in the GS position here in the SSN. And it won’t make much difference in Goalers as I think Swift are the only team with 2 imports as their starting goalers. Not sure what’ll happen when MJ comes  back for the Vixens – they have 2 imports and 2 Australians. I don’t think both MJ or Venter would be regular starters instead of Thwaites and Philip.

Thinking about the defenders there’s two teams with both GD and GK as starters – T’Birds (leaving Shimmin – their MVP for 2018 – on the bench); and Lightning

Kat

If Mwai had been fit and able to play do you think that the Vixens would have taken Thwaites?

If you think they would have, how much court time do you think Mwai and Thwaites would have had?

Just pondering those questions in my head.

Just to add Thwaites is one of my favourite Diamonds.  She has had to overcome so much rubbish in her Netball career and she keeps on getting stronger.  I realise she is probably nearing retirement.  Though I think she has a few more years in her, but obviously it is her decision.  I just hope her decision to retire is on her say so, and not because she doesn’t get picked for an SSN team.

PhilT

It’s only 2 imports allowed in VNSL. The court area rule has been controversial, with Team Bath’s interpretation of it causing a few disputes.

JR

It’s only 2 imports allowed in VNSL. The court area rule has been controversial, with Team Bath’s interpretation of it causing a few disputes.

Thanks for the clarification Phil. I read that article about the Stars infringing it and remembered it completely wrongly!! Thought it was 3 and only one in each third…nope 2 max registered and those 2 players can’t play in the same part of the court.

Jbss

I think it should be three per team. That means the league won’t get imports who aren’t ‘marquee’ signings if you will. If they make it one for each third I don’t think the rule should be that they can only play in the area that they’re signed in. That benefits players who are GS/GAs or C/WA/WD, GD/GK etc and disadvantages players like Haythornthwaite who is a WA/GA. It also limits coaches. Had Firebirds had an import GD then Jenke wouldn’t have been able to move Aiken. It would mean only one of Housby, Wallace and Haythornthwaite could be on court. Anyway if there’s three per team then there’s still going to be 24 high quality imports playing and it will force coaches to select their imports more carefully. Unfortunately, in the short term this would disadvantage teams like Lightning and Tbirds especially the latter who are trying to rebuild.

JR

If Mwai had been fit and able to play do you think that the Vixens would have taken Thwaites? If you think they would have, how much court time do you think Mwai and Thwaites would have had?

No idea! Aren’t all the contracts 2 or 3 years for the SSN. Simone is one of my favourite EVER players; I’d like to think she’s a fair person and would have had them sharing the load each game. But then again, she chose Vetner and she’s not got much court time.

I remember the look on Caitlyn’s face at the end of the last Magpies game. She was looking into the camera and she looked so sad.

I am glad she’s at the Vixens; she seems happy and I wish her well for the SSN season and for the Worlds. CBass looks out of sorts, understandably given her 10 week break after she broke her arm (her arm is still in a splint – it’s skin coloured and barely visible but I sit behind the AWAY team’s bench at the Vixens’ games and it was very obvious). So she’s not been able to gel with Jo yet…whereas Thwaites and Philip are moving well around each other and sharing the load. I hope Thwaites gets lots of court time during the games at the Worlds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.