2019 SSN Pre-Season tournament (Brisbane Mar 8-10)

Home Forum Australia 2019 SSN Pre-Season tournament (Brisbane Mar 8-10)

This topic contains 401 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Turningpoint Mar 15, 2019 at 12:22 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Marksa7

Yay, finally, and l got what l wanted.

Ian

I sort of go along with her sentiment, but not the way she’s putting her case here…

Super Netball: #TeamGirls Cup and legitimising women’s sport https://www.sportingnews.com/au/netball/news/super-netball-2019-team-girls-cup-preseason-tournament-australia-netball-league-brisbane/bu1bpsslv29z1dojqllp0xz7d

Marksa7

Team Girls campaign is not meaningful to me but too bad for me.  I like the point that its women who play at the top level.

This may be the inaugural official pre-season for SSN, however concept isn’t new; used to be ANZ preseasons

Jbss

I feel shes got it round the wrong way, rather than seeing it as womens sport not being respected due to the language we use, the language we use is a product of womens sport(and women) not being respected. It’s a bit nit picky, but I agree that team girls sounds childish but that’s who they’re trying to inspire, if the campaign were aimed at women getting back into sport later in life I would hope the branding would be a bit more serious.

Ian

Turningpoint

I sort of go along with her sentiment, but not the way she’s putting her case here…

Super Netball: #TeamGirls Cup and legitimising women’s sport https://www.sportingnews.com/au/netball/news/super-netball-2019-team-girls-cup-preseason-tournament-australia-netball-league-brisbane/bu1bpsslv29z1dojqllp0xz7d

My back is up.

I think we will forever tiptoe around what we use in terms of gender reference in Sport.

Typically the prefix or suffix ‘W’ get thrown in the latest round of sports hitting Fox.

Does this legitimise the sport. Can the Qld U16 boys cricket team beat the Southern Stars. Or the Matilda’s – not the cricket boys but the Qld U-16 Football boys. At what point to you vindicate legitimacy.

Much more than the influx of quality female sport, I personally legitimise Netball. Netball is a self sustaining business. Is the AFL-W supported by the AFL? The Football W-League by Soccer Australia, The NRL-W by the NRL etc etc.

#TeamGirls Cup. I personally love it. Never gave it a 2nd thought. Give it a name and play. That’s a key piece of marketing targeting the next generation. That’s a key part of your business – succession. It’s credible. That is a serious business! It’s a great opener to the season, to the main course – SSN.

It also showcases Government spend on a stadium built just for Netball. Write an article on that.

I live and breathe sport. I see Netball as a serious sport. To get a bit picky over #TeamGirls lost me a bit. It was hard for me to read this article by the writer who is a young woman who lives and breathes netball. Yet in a forum read by many, minimalise’s or name shames a quality marketing initiative.

Lucie referenced the NRL not being able to boast sell-out crowds like Netball. So the NRL is a sport that is legitimised. But there’s a thought in my mind that things get buried under ‘boys will be boys’. They’re not advertised as boys because they’re men right?

Netball has so much over the NRL. Their players have respect for the game and Brand. Each player knows their obligation to protect the game now, and for the next generation. You see it. You hear it when they’re interviewed.

Here is what brand protection looks like in the NRL. Players who fought to be in partnership with the NRL and the game.

Greg Inglis was charged with mid-range drink driving offences (reported as 0.085). He was pulled over at 2.15pm after driving for around 2 hours or so. The obvious question is what was his BAC when he started the car?

Don’t get me started on the cost to this Australian Captain compared to the Australian Cricket Captain. That sand paper wouldn’t have killed a flea.

Ben Barba? In 2013 he was alleged to have punched his GF Ainslie Currie in the face. In 2019, in Townsville, he is charged with punching Ainslie Currie and receives a life ban.

We all know there are more examples. I would rather pay to go to #TeamGirls Cup then to pay to watch ‘men’ like this play serious sport.

Lucie, Netball is a professional, serious sport. It is played by serious sports people. You’ll find that people on the Street talk Netball and take it seriously. :close_tema:

HDav

I get the article’s point about #TeamGirls, but that hashtag isn’t aimed at me, a middle aged woman (ouch!). It seems more aimed at my 7 year old niece, who is a fanatical firebirds fan after being a member last year.  Watching her get excited about meeting the players (who are such great sporting ambassadors and very generous with their time for their fans) and excited about the upcoming season is a breath of fresh air. When I was her age, I had started playing netball but I never saw it on TV, it was never promoted in the press. “Sport”, as far as following a team, was limited to football teams and the state cricket team. It never occured to me, or probably anyone, that netball was a sport that could be followed as a “sport” and not just a fringe activity. So if #teamgirls gets the attention of the teens and pre-teens over the next couple of years and builds momentum, then it is a good starting point. After all, the fan power of teenage girls has been well known in the pop music industry for decades.

Also we went to the new stadium last Sunday and it looks great. Even has ” new stadium smell”.

Turningpoint

Dear Lucie,

I know you have been reading these comments.

Can you please comment on the name of the Women’s Football (Soccer) Cup currently being played.

It is called the “SheBelieves Cup”.

I’ll be waiting.

Regards,

Turning Point

:mr47_05:

mcleod

Dear Lucie,

I know you have been reading these comments.

Can you please comment on the name of the Women’s Football (Soccer) Cup currently being played.

It is called the “SheBelieves Cup”.

I’ll be waiting.

Regards,

Turning Point

:mr47_05:

Correct TP, I’m not sure what “Shebelieves” in but anyway there you go.

Ian

Fever have added shooter Emma Cosh to their squad for this event…

Ian

Also an 11 player squad for Vixens…

Ian

Ian

Suncorp #TeamGirls Cup Squads Finalised

Suncorp #TeamGirls Cup Squads Finalised

Adelaide Thunderbirds:

Nyah Allen
    Kelly Altmann
    Chelsea Blackman
    Sasha Glasgow
    Layla Guscoth
    Georgie Horjus
    Cody Lange
    Hannah Petty
    Chelsea Pitman
    Kate Shimmin
    Shamera Sterling

Giants:

Toni Anderson
    Kiera Austin
    Kim Green
    Jo Harten
    Maddie Hay
    Kristiana Manu’a
    Matilda McDonell
    Georgia Marshall
    Amy Parmenter
    Sam Poolman
    Jamie-Lee Price

Magpies:

Madi Robinson (Captain)
    Geva Mentor (Captain)
    Kelsey Browne (Vice-captain)
    Kim Ravaillion
    Gabrielle Sinclair
    Shimona Nelson
    Ash Brazill
    April Brandley
    Nat Medhurst
    Matilda Garrett
    Sharni Lambden

Melbourne Vixens:

Kate Moloney (Captain)
    Liz Watson (Vice-captain)
    Tegan Philip (Vice-captain)
    Jo Weston
    Caitlin Thwaites
    Ine-Mari Venter
    Kadie-Ann Dehaney
    Emily Mannix
    Sacha McDonald
    Renae Ingles
    Lara Dunkley

NSW Swifts:

Maddy Proud (Captain)
    Paige Hadley (Vice-captain)
    Maddy Turner
    Kate Eddy
    Sophie Garbin
    Natalie Haythornthwaite
    Helen Housby
    Sarah Klau
    Lauren Moore
    Sam Wallace
    Tayla Fraser
    Sophie Halpin

Queensland Firebirds:

Gabi Simpson
    Gretel Tippett
    Tippah Dwan
    Caitlyn Nevins
    Jemma Mi Mi
    Kim Jenner
    Laura Clemesha
    Mahalia Cassidy
    Romelda Aiken
    Tara Hinchliffe
    Macy Gardner
    Maddison Hinchliffe

Sunshine Coast Lightning:

Cara Koenan
    Laura Langman
    Annika Lee-Jones
    Phumza Maweni
    Madeline McAuliffe
    Karla Pretorius
    Peace Proscovia
    Jacqui Russell
    Laura Scherian
    Stephanie Wood
    Sienna Allen
    Chanel Dyer
    Binnian Hunt
    Ash Unie

West Coast Fever:

Courtney Bruce (Captain)
    Stacey Francis (Vice-captain)
    Jessica Anstiss
    Jhaniele Fowler
    Kaylia Stanton
    Alice Teague-Neeld
    Ingrid Colyer
    Verity Charles
    Shannon Eagland
    Olivia Lewis
    Emma Cosh

Waylay

No news regarding captaincy for a few of the clubs. You’d think Kim Green would lead the Giants and Gabi Simpson captaining the Firebirds.

Langman for captain of SCL possibly?? Wood/Pretorius maybe. Pitman looks likely for Thunderbirds captain, Shimmin might be a chance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 402 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.