SSN on TV in New Zealand

Home Forum New Zealand SSN on TV in New Zealand

This topic contains 66 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mcleod May 15, 2019 at 2:32 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    mcleod

I can only find one SSN game on Sky Sport today – Swifts v Fever. Has anybody else had better luck finding the other games?

Channel 59 for the 3pm and 7pm games.

daisies

Thank you mcleod.

TrentA

So, after being able to watch this on Sky, I have decided I’m not that impressed with this coverage.

I cannot stand the pre-match stuff. To much, to long and way to irrelevant to the game coming up.

The timeouts really annoy me. In the Swifts game the other day 2 minutes to play in the 4th qtr, Swift are up by 14 and they call a timeout. Just for Akle to tell them she wants 80 goals. They were already on 77.

The commentating is rubbish for the most part. Cox is ok. Gaudion and Ellis are tolerable. But the rest are excruciating. And why does it take so many to deliver commentary on one game? If I counted correctly there are on average 4 or 5? And the interview with Brazill during the warm-up was just nonsense. Not the content but the way it was delivered.

The lack of respect shown for other Competitions is also really annoying. From the way most of them talk you’d think Fowler, Sterling and Proscovia et al had never played netball before they were ‘discovered’ and signed to SSN teams. I realise that Netball is hardly broadcast as it is on TV in Australia so maybe that’s why they have to talk them up all the time.

Watching the game live is just a chore. So I mostly record them on MySky and that way I can fast forward all the rubbish before the game, the timeouts and the ad breaks. That accounts for nearly 50% of the time and I just enjoy the game. If I watch the replays on the App I don’t get any of that annoying stuff, just the game.

In contrast ANZP coverage starts 10 minutes before the game, we get ad breaks during the quarter time breaks and half time and no timeout breaks. So we get more time on the game instead of the 50/50 split that the SSN is. We don’t get constant mention of Bonus Points or banners explaining the Held Ball Rule or the Contact/Obstruction rule or the Net Points each team has.  And the camera angles some times are just mind boggling. To narrow or too low or to short a view of the court and behind the ball action. One example: In the Giants/Magpies game on the Giants CP Kim Green was penalised for not taking the ball wholly in the Centre Third, but you couldn’t see that because the camera was to low to show the foot action. A replay shown later clearly showed her foot over the line. This game seemed to always have to low a camera for the CP. In contrast during the Swifts/Fever the CP always seemed to be via a high camera which was odd given they were played at the same venue.

I don’t know what the coverage is like of other sports on TV in Australia. Maybe the format is being copied from other Sports?

The ANZP is not perfect and there are commentators on that I’d be glad to never see behind a microphone again, but it seems to me that the ANZP coverage treats it’s viewers with a little more credit and respect about the game and their knowledge of it.

minkie

Rugby union and league isnt like this Trent
    They analyze, talk players up down and sideways ‘after or before’ the game, without anything but the play/review inbetween.

mcleod

Agree with everything Trent A.  The time outs are beyond annoying, are they told when to have them, because 14 min into the final Q leading by a big margin, and lets have a chat.

Adds after 4 minutes, then another lot after 10, then lets start, and then lets stop after 5 min into the 1st Q.

But it’s the greatest comp, so I must remember that!!!!!!!!!!!

NZChampion

All facts. 😂 I only watch Folau and Langman tbh.

mcleod

All facts. 😂 I only watch Folau and Langman tbh.

Me to, them and I quite like the Vixens (Thwaites, and Ingles)

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.