SOUTHERN STEEL 2018

Home Forum New Zealand SOUTHERN STEEL 2018

This topic contains 90 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Ian Ian Aug 16, 2017 at 6:23 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    LurchLurch

Askmeaskme

I can see this being a great competition next year. All 6 teams will be competitive. I would put my early money on the Steel still though. Will be great to see Francois, Crampton and Selby-Rickit having to work hard next year but they can step up.

MaryannMaryann

Thats the full 10 – Francois, Crampton, Selby-Rickit, Selby Rickit, O’Connell, Abby Erwood, Kelly, Frew, Bates, Gray.

TrentATrentA

Excited!!
    Great import signing. Swap one Jamaican for another.

Now we just have to wait until May!!! :-(

TACTIXSUPPORTERTACTIXSUPPORTER

Really nice team. Losing FReid and Watson are huge losses, but this team is exciting. O’Connell will be able to develop and that is great for NZ netball.
    Kelly is very exciting!
    That mid is the best in the comp.

A few tall shooters in squads next year. Wilson, Bird, Bevo, O’Connell, Dunn.

Teams are even next year and it will come down to youth

Minkieminkie

Did Steel truly not have any local defenders (home grown wasnt that what I read Steel wanted to do?)

KatesteelKatesteel

Abby is absolutely home-grown. And NZ defenders are pretty much all at the Tactix and Mystics already! Lol!

NesianNesian

You think they might have went for Ashley Smith who was a Steel training partner this season that played GD and is a local player? Who knows their reasoning for some decisions they have made this season.

Kelly is super exciting but she wasn’t their first choice.
    They will most likely be in the finals again.

I’m excited to see how O’Connell and SR combine!

Minkieminkie

You think they might have went for Ashley Smith who was a Steel training partner this season that played GD and is a local player? Who knows their reasoning for some decisions they have made this season.

I wondered that : shame for the local girls

TrentATrentA

I wondered that : shame for the local girls

Why?
    If they want a spot in NZs top domestic team they need to show their worth. Steel have been great at developing local talent and for various reasons they move on.
    This isn’t an NPC competition where players play for the province of their origin.
    Beko League is the development league for local players. If I’m not mistaken there are a couple of defenders in the Southern team that will push for a place in the Steel in the next few years.
    Re Ashleigh Smith, she captained the South team this year and was ok. A bit like her days as a shooter. OK, but not great and certainly not better than Kelly.

Anyway, how many of the 10 are ‘locals’? and how long does a player need to live within a teams Zone before they are classified as local? Frew, Bates, Erwood and O’Connell are. Do the two Selby-Rickitts count as local given the number of years they have played in the south? Gray played for the South Beko team this year presumably because she wasn’t wanted by her ‘local’ team so does that mean she counts?

Minkieminkie

I dont know the team well enough to know who they couldve gotten : did a young Steel fill this spot when the accident happened?

Askmeaskme

Have to agree Trent, the other 9 have come through the netball south system. Hu is the only one of those 9 who moved down to Invercargil for netball, but that was when she was 16, 12 years ago. Even the likes of Gina, Te Paea and Shannon didn’t move down to the south for netball they went for university they played there way through the systems. They are probably the closest to a ‘home grown’ team if you tried.

Yeah, Steel are pretty local. Smith has only played GD for a year…. Not ready.

Kelly adds to that defence line after losing Watson who has headed home.

Minkieminkie

Thats such a shame

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.