Shadine Van der Merwe keen to stay a Thunderbird

Home Forum Australia Shadine Van der Merwe keen to stay a Thunderbird

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  James Aug 16, 2019 at 3:29 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    netballcrazy1

netballcrazy1

Can someone summarise key points from this article?

Signings for 2020 Thunderbirds will be very interesting, I would love to see Guscoth and Cobden back and I know Cobden is temporarily returning to Adelaide next week (not sure for how long). I know Guscoth had a job here so I’m hoping she will be drawn back to that and by working with Sterling (they seem to have become pretty good friends). Don’t re-sign Lange, bring either Hodges or Ryde in depending on Folau’s decision. I don’t know if there would actually would be room for Van der Merwe in this situation, I think she has been pretty average until this week so I don’t know what to think.

englishrose21

Can’t read the article but I agree with you netballcrazy1. If everyone stays including Guscoth and Cobden I’m not sure there’s room for her. Although I guess Guscoth will be out for a year so she may only be available for the second half of the season? She has had a very long season as she played the full season of the superleague and then the World Cup so I’m sure she’s not at her best. She also hasn’t had a pre season with the club so would be interesting to see what she’s capable of.

summerhill3

It’s pretty hard to judge a player when they haven’t done a preseason with the club, been part of building structures, learning the culture/tactics etc.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Cobden should just focus on actually getting her knee right.  She was rushed back too soon for Tbirds,  and was left on court after complaining about quad muscle tightness above her knee 10mins before she did her ACL.

She needs a strong solid rehab.

Ash72

Cobden should just focus on actually getting her knee right.  She was rushed back too soon for Tbirds,  and was left on court after complaining about quad muscle tightness above her knee 10mins before she did her ACL.

She needs a strong solid rehab.

Totally agree with this.

Also with regard to Van der Merwe, I think she is a good player but not yet a great player and should have probably got another season in Superleague under her belt before moving up to SSN level.

NettySuperFan

Just read this in the paper this morning. It doesn’t say anything particularly insight beside what the title says, that she is keen to play for the Thunderbirds next year. It was just the pretty generic thing, like SSN is the best comp in the world and in order to improve I want to be playing in it. Probably interesting to note she said Thunderbirds have started conversation around signings for next year, but most people probably expected that, and most clubs are probably doing the same.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Shadine stay on for the 2020 season while Cobden recovers, since they isn’t really any decent WDs in South Australia right now (except Maisie Nankivell kinda). Although I would like to see if Tbirds can attract someone like Maddy McAuliffe (who I think might be South Australian) over to fill in that role, just don’t know how likely that is to happen.

hiphop

McAuliffe is a Queenslander.

I would rather they put some time into Nankivell. I think imports are great when they are a big improvement on locals. But I don’t think Shadine is. If Gusgoth comes back they have some cover in that WD position.

NettySuperFan

McAuliffe is a Queenslander.

I would rather they put some time into Nankivell. I think imports are great when they are a big improvement on locals. But I don’t think Shadine is. If Gusgoth comes back they have some cover in that WD position.

Right, don’t know why I thought she might be South Australia. But I still think she would be a great fit for the team, although she seems to have taken on a unofficial leadership role at Lightning, so she might be quite invested there. Agree that Nankivell is definitely a prospect. Right now, I think Shadine has the edge on her slightly, but probably not for long. I think signing Shadine just for 1 more season would be a good move while Cobden is recovering, and then based on how she goes during the season, you can go from there.

naks10

McAuliffe is definitely a QLDer – came through their underage pathways.

netballcrazy1

Okay yep I agree, keep Shadine while Cobden and Guscoth recover. I think Cobden will be playing next season though because her injury was fairly early in the season whereas Guscoth’s occurred a little later. But I would like to seem them both of those injured girls back and supported by the Thunderbirds next year like Kumwenda has been by Vixens

TACTIXSUPPORTER

She is a good WD, but is she that much better than a young Australian WD??

NettySuperFan

She is a good WD, but is she that much better than a young Australian WD??

Yeah she isn’t an amazing WD, but what young Australia (more specifically South Australian) WD is there? Currently Shadine is ahead of Nankivell for me, and all the other young Australian WDs don’t have much incentive to leave there current clubs. Russell and McAuliffe are both getting good court time, Eddy and Halpin are certainly settled at Swifts, Parmenter is starting at Giants, I guess Mel Bragg from Magpies is an option and Eagland and Anstiss are both getting heaps of court time. Unless there is someone else I’m missing?

Jbss

Sharni Lambden, Allie Smith are both ready for a contract in the next year or so.

hiphop

Emily Burgess is the other SA option. She played with the Thunderbirds in 2017. She and Maisie both play at the same state league club.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.