Roses Programme 2019-20

Home Forum United Kingdom Roses Programme 2019-20

This topic contains 60 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  madforit Aug 12, 2019 at 6:33 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Goalkeepersarekeepers

During the World Cup, there was a mention of a Roses – South Africa test series in the autumn, although I haven’t seen anything about it on the England Netball site.

Fluffy

During the World Cup, there was a mention of a Roses – South Africa test series in the autumn, although I haven’t seen anything about it on the England Netball site.

Surely they wouldn’t run that as well as the Quad series in Jan?

Would be good to see what a line up of Quashie/Artman, Williams and Gibson could do with one eye on the future?  Bit harsh to chuck them straight into the Quad series (would play havoc with our world ranking – especially if Jamaica’s now there?) but agree we need to test future combinations

For me the GK succession planning is key: obviously want Geva to carry on for ever, but it’s vital we find the next person to pick up the bib now!

Assuming full fitness I’d have Quashie, Mentor, Guscoth and Williams at the back, with the option if Geva’s not available to take Shimmin ?  Then I’d take Cobden Panagarry, Haythornthwaite and Guthrie (If Cobden’s not ready, then take Clarke – but we need to look to the future), and then Harten, Housby, Fisher and Ella Clark – think she adds a bit more as a moving, tall shooter than D-L, but would be happy either way.

Joyjamie

I am going to try and not mention my favourite name, small steps.

For the Quad Series what would be everyone’s Starting XI

Mine would be Quashie, Guscoth, Williams, Haythornwaite, Guthrie, Harten, Housby

Still deciding on the remainder of the team.   Everyone would highlight Geva Mentor not starting but we really need to give her a rest and also Long Term for the team.   Is she really going to be at the next World Cup in 4 years?

Joyjamie

I am going to try and not mention my favourite name, small steps.

For the Quad Series what would be everyone’s Starting XI

Mine would be Quashie, Guscoth, Williams, Haythornwaite, Guthrie, Harten, Housby

Still deciding on the remainder of the team.   Everyone would highlight Geva Mentor not starting but we really need to give her a rest and also Long Term for the team.   Is she really going to be at the next World Cup in 4 years?

albinogiraffe

I’m not sure Layla will be back for the quad….

for me both Serena and Jo (and I guess Helen) need some down time – mentally and physically.

Ash72

I’m not sure Layla will be back for the quad….

for me both Serena and Jo (and I guess Helen) need some down time – mentally and physically.

Yeah I’d be surprised to see Guscoth or Cobden in squad, from an injury point of view maybe it would be a bit risky?

I’d love to see Fisher get lots of court time and be our starting GS (maybe with her old Wasps partner Haythornthwaite at GA) and I’d also like to see a solid alternative to Mentor emerge at GK so we have more options there.

I agree with Mcleod that we can probably expect to see both Dunn and Poi in the Ferns squad and I’d also expect to see MSB; who was very unlucky not to be selected for the WC.

madforit

I wouldn’t have Ella Clark anywhere near my squads. She’s not dynamic enough. She’s got one speed and one speed only. I just don’t think she’s a step in the right direction for the Roses. I’d rather we bring in a young up & comer like SDL.

Cobden won’t be anywhere near ready for January. I’d even bet against her and Suncorp next season. But we’ll see. Guscoth I’d bet against for January too but who knows.

I’m worried about GK.. we have no height behind Geva which is an issue. I wouldn’t take Artman. I’ve never rated her. But I’m not the coach so it’s anyone’s guess right now.

I’d hope that those playing SSN would get a rest. Start of a new year cycle is the perfect time to try some new blood in there. Yes, ranking points, but if you don’t try them now, when?

Jinxibo

I wouldn’t have Ella Clark anywhere near my squads. She’s not dynamic enough. She’s got one speed and one speed only. I just don’t think she’s a step in the right direction for the Roses. I’d rather we bring in a young up & comer like SDL.

Cobden won’t be anywhere near ready for January. I’d even bet against her and Suncorp next season. But we’ll see. Guscoth I’d bet against for January too but who knows.

I’m worried about GK.. we have no height behind Geva which is an issue. I wouldn’t take Artman. I’ve never rated her. But I’m not the coach so it’s anyone’s guess right now.

I’d hope that those playing SSN would get a rest. Start of a new year cycle is the perfect time to try some new blood in there. Yes, ranking points, but if you don’t try them now, when?

Have you been reading my diary ? :diablo:

agree you with you re Ella C and Artman. Now we have Kate i’m wondering if we’ll see Quashie and Artman playing GD. Technically they both only play one position and I don’t think that’s good enough anymore.

Ash72

I’ve said this before but Ellie Cardwell was a really good GK in her original Thunder days before she switched to GS………

Joyjamie

More importantly who is the one that will cover/replace Serena Guthrie

not sure about Natalie Pangarry.    Not sure who will step up.   gabby Marshall has been injured recently

would like to give either Iona Darroch or Yas Parsons a try

TheBroadbean

Gabby Marshall is back playing now I think (although only in the last few days).

I can see her as a worthy successor to Guthrie eventually.

Totally agree with Quashie. I rate her as the next GK option over Artman.

Amy Carter is another young player I have been impressed with too.

Again there is quite a good stock of WD’s. Imogen Allison is a standout for me although I suppose Carter is a WD too.

Ash72

Amy Carter is a great C but she’s a C/WD and we do really need to find a C/WA. I’ve liked what I’ve briefly seen of Parsons at C and would like to see more of her there….Unfortunately Mikki Austin has preferred playing that position herself at Storm: Hopefully this will change next season….

mcleod

Question is the UK comp starting in February in 2020?? Ta much

Bluebird

Can’t see any dates anywhere, but VNSL is probably February. I think the South Africa series is in November.  There’s generally always a test series in Autumn.

summerhill3

Don’t count on seeing Guscoth any time soon – an Achilles rupture is basically a 12 month injury.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.