Roses Programme 2019-20

Home Forum United Kingdom Roses Programme 2019-20

This topic contains 60 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  madforit Aug 12, 2019 at 6:33 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    englishrose21

I missed Rebekah Airey’s name when I look through the list originally. Interesting choice, she’s had very little game time. I guess unless they sign someone else to replace Kerry Almond though she’ll be starting GK for Thunder next year?

Jinxibo

Very interesting choices. Welcome to the Roses Kate :wavemulticolour:

Thought one of the Corbins would get selected.

Artman and Ella C are still questionable for me.

Netball Europe starts on the 27 Sept, wonder who will make the squad … :dance2:

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Why has it taken so long for Shimmin to play for England if she has dual citizenship?

So strange!

GOAL POST

And where is Sam Cook??? Shes had an impressive season and stood tall for tge Stars. Oh and Semple – one of tge most underrated shooters ever…..isnt she an english citizen because uf they’re not picking her then id rather recommend she come back to NZ considering the Magic need a replacement shooter.

Jinxibo

And where is Sam Cook??? Shes had an impressive season and stood tall for tge Stars. Oh and Semple – one of tge most underrated shooters ever…..isnt she an english citizen because uf they’re not picking her then id rather recommend she come back to NZ considering the Magic need a replacement shooter.

that’s a good idea, why haven’t they named a replacement?

personally i’d like to see Malia Vaka

Jinxibo

Why has it taken so long for Shimmin to play for England if she has dual citizenship?

So strange!

not strange just Obst :cool2: :mafia: :hi:

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Semple is back home in NZ right now. Will be a decent pick up for Magic and NZ. Great GA.

What international tests does England have this year?

Joyjamie

Does anyone know who chose the Roses? Was it Tracey Neville or Jess Thirlby.   I am really surprised by Jess Shaw being in there, Bath connection there.   Myself would have kept the Corbin.   Think Jade Clarke might be retiring.

Nettylife

Does anyone know who chose the Roses? Was it Tracey Neville or Jess Thirlby.   I am really surprised by Jess Shaw being in there, Bath connection there.   Myself would have kept the Corbin.   Think Jade Clarke might be retiring.

I listened to Jess Thirlby the other day and can’t remember if it was on her radio show or her interview on The Netball Show podcast but she hasn’t officially started yet and these selections were done prior to her getting the job.

I find that strange,

Ash72

To my mind 2 of the players named as Roses “futures” ( Amy Carter and Imogen Allison) are both better players than Jess Shaw. In fact I’d say that they’ve both got the edge on Laura Malcolm too.

Oh well, let’s see what next season brings…

Nimbostratus

I listened to Jess Thirlby the other day and can’t remember if it was on her radio show or her interview on The Netball Show podcast but she hasn’t officially started yet and these selections were done prior to her getting the job.

I find that strange,

Yeah it’s a bit odd that they wouldn’t hold off until she started and was able to choose her own players?

On Sam Cook I think she is a great player but has said previously that she doesn’t want to play for England due to the level of commitment.

Joyjamie

If that’s the case she didn’t chose the players why is she England Coach? Obviously just to follow orders.   guess Tamsin possibly wanted to chose her players and that went against her.   Has Ama agbeze retired along with Jade Clarke.   Funny that Beth Cobden is in the squad for the next year when she is injured.   she needs to take time away and recover and start playing club netball before being considered for England,   I am slightly concerned she has had two cruciate injuries in a short space of time

Bluebird

It will be the decision of the selectors, not just the coach. Its also dependent on the players putting themselves forward for selection. Plus, the Roses Programme isn’t the only way to gain selection onto the squad.  The programme is about making sure we have a pool of committed players to choose from.

albinogiraffe

The Roses programme announced are the girls who have accepted a ‘full time’ training contract. A wider group will certainly have been offered them and players can choose to accept or not.

Obviously there are variations on commitment for those playing in the SSN but those variations are negotiataed and agreed with players and their clubs.

EUB & RDunn proved that you can still be successful in the Roses tournament/series squads by maintaining a training programme independent of the full time programme and holding down a full time job too.

For me there aren’t many surprises in the group named (Shimmin, obviously who wasn’t on the radar at all). Guscoth/Cobden are obvious inclusions to maintain care/rehab oversight and ensure they are within the elite environment still – both have long International careers ahead of them (future captain material too) so important they stay connected. The programme isn’t just court training it is about ‘learning’ to be an elite player – conditioning, match analysis, nutrition, media etc etc

JShaw perhaps a surprise – for me I might have gone with Amy Carter in there (as well? Instead?).

Yes it seems strange that the new coach wasn’t involved in contract discussions, but the likelihood is that other ‘fringe’ players were invited to talks re: contract and chose to decline (my understanding is that it is far from a lucrative career path). I doubt the group announced would look dramatically different either way.

looloo

Can anyone shed light on why Stacey Francis doesn’t get included?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.