QUEENSLAND FIREBIRDS 2019

Home Forum Australia QUEENSLAND FIREBIRDS 2019

This topic contains 88 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Dec 14, 2018 at 1:43 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Tully

Maybe Lightning will sign Clemesha in place of Mikaere?

NettySuperFan

Firebirds Team 2019:

Shooters: Romelda Aiken, Gretel Tippett, Tippah Dawn
    Mid Court: Caitlyn Nevins, Jemma Mi Mi, Mahalia Cassidy, Gabby Simpson
    Defence: Kim Jenner, Tara Hinchliffe, Laura Clemesha

NO GEITZ!!

CharlesWB

No, Geitz has retired.

In typical Firebirds social media fashion neither of their links to “the full story” work…

CharlesWB

Time for the other Laura to step up now. Their circle defence is now their weak spot. Unless maybe they go with a Jenner/Hinchliffe combo. (Someone said one of them plays GK as well as GD.)

netballcrazy1

No Somerville? Or was she in NSW

Ian

Very underwhelming team announcement. Hard to see Firebirds challenging for the title in 2019 with Geitz retiring and no positive new signings to announce.

Ian

No, Geitz has retired.

In typical Firebirds social media fashion neither of their links to “the full story” work…

Looked like the site had crashed the last time I looked!

Tully

Time for the other Laura to step up now. Their circle defence is now their weak spot. Unless maybe they go with a Jenner/Hinchliffe combo. (Someone said one of them plays GK as well as GD.)

Hinchliffe is a fantastic GK. Their defence circle with the two young guns will be great.

NettySuperFan

In retrospect, it makes a lot of sense. I was very confused, and I’m sure most of use were, when Firebirds decided to recruit 4 defenders and only 2 shooters, but looking back, knowing Getiz would retire in a year or two, held onto Clemesha for the future. Had they not recruited Clemesha this year, she may have gone to a different team, and they may not have been able to get her back for the 2019 season. Smart work, Jenke!

CharlesWB

Hinchliffe is a fantastic GK. Their defence circle with the two young guns will be great.

That’s good to hear. It may not be a bad season after all.

Ian

Ian

gwalk11

Very underwhelming team announcement. Hard to see Firebirds challenging for the title in 2019 with Geitz retiring and no positive new signings to announce.

I am willing to give our attack end one more season to grow. If we do not challenge this season, it is time to replace Aiken, bring in a star midcourter, and let Clemesha move on. I know Jencke is loyal but there is a point in time when trying the same thing and expecting different results becomes madness.

CharlesWB

I am willing to give our attack end one more season to grow. If we do not challenge this season, it is time to replace Aiken, bring in a star midcourter, and let Clemesha move on. I know Jencke is loyal but there is a point in time when trying the same thing and expecting different results becomes madness.

Whilst I appreciate all that she has done over her time with FB, I fear that Romelda may be past her best. I don’t know how Tippah Dwan plays so we will have to wait and see. At least with her in the 10 (and she’s been a training partner so has been in the FB environment for a little while now), there’s an option when Romelda goes off the boil: move Gretel to GS and bring on Tippah at GA.

Our mdi-court of Mahalia, Caitlyn & Gabi isn’t too shabby really.

As for the “other” Laura, as I have stated elsewhere, she has always underwhelmed me. We’ll have to hope she finally takes her game to the next level this coming season.

gwalk11

Whilst I appreciate all that she has done over her time with FB, I fear that Romelda may be past her best. I don’t know how Tippah Dwan plays so we will have to wait and see. At least with her in the 10 (and she’s been a training partner so has been in the FB environment for a little while now), there’s an option when Romelda goes off the boil: move Gretel to GS and bring on Tippah at GA.

Our mdi-court of Mahalia, Caitlyn & Gabi isn’t too shabby really.

As for the “other” Laura, as I have stated elsewhere, she has always underwhelmed me. We’ll have to hope she finally takes her game to the next level this coming season.

Agree with all of this. If they do not give Tippah a chance, I will be really disappointed. I can only see the point in signing Clemesha if they are just using her as a bench player, while developing the Hinchliffe/Jenner combination. The year Clemesha was our starting GK was our worst defensive year in memory.

In terms of midcourt – I am on record as a big Cassidy fan but I do think she will need to improve this year, as she was sometimes our weak point. There were times in the final where she was just jogging in defence, and she needs to work on her decision making in big moments. Luckily, I suspect she will improve a lot with another season as a starter and a full pre-season (particularly given she was coming back form injury this year).

Either way, will be interesting. Hope I am wrong and next year we are great!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.