SSN Preseason matches

Home Forum Australia SSN Preseason matches

This topic contains 160 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Tully Apr 17, 2019 at 9:22 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Marley08

Pies v Lightning

Lightning won 54-53!!

Ian

Was close most of the way. Magpies led 27-25 at half time. But then they stretched the lead to 5 at 3/4 time. Last Q was 16-10 to Lightning.

Ian

Waylay

Hi everyone, first time poster but have been reading the forum for a while and watching netball for many years. Was lucky enough to be in tassie this week and got to see this game! Thought I’d bring together a few thoughts…

Despite going down by 1, it felt like the Magpies controlled the game and were the better side. Lightning probably had their top lineup on in the last q and ran over the top of the Magpies who had rested a few.

Magpies – Shimona Nelson was fantastic – super tough, shot well and was always available. Medhurst fed superbly and was impressed to see Nat shoot about 10 goals in the first half (she sat the second half out). Gabby Sinclair also shot well but went missing a bit towards end. Browne and Robinson were the stars of the show tonight, both were silky-skilled and super zippy. Rav seemed so much more comfortable passing to Nelson than she ever did to Thwaites, was great to see her let the ball go like she used to a few years ago! Mentor was dominant in defence and Magpies felt it when she had a rest on the bench. Brandley played WD and GD and was in everything but heavily penalised. Impressed with Garrett also who got plenty of touches.

Lightning – Steph Wood held things together for the team and shot a long bomb match winner with a few seconds to go. Cara Koenen looks to have improved heaps and contributed probably 15-20 goals in just a half (also played WA). Proscovia was underwhelming and missed a lot of sitters but probably was nervous and feeders looked hesitant. Was surprised to see Jacqui Russell playing WA but she was better in WD. Scherian was creative as usual and McCauliffe was strong. Pretorius came out of nowehere on numerous occasions and stepped up massively in the last quarter. Annika LJ looked completely out of place unfortunately and lightning were much better with Maweni at GK but Taurua may see some potential there.

Overall Lightning were less flashy but delivered when it mattered which is a huge positive for them. Once the connections to Proscovia fire they will be even better. However I think the potential for Magpies is even scarier – they will be top 2 finish this year I’m betting.

thunder123

Thanks so much for the insight Waylay.

How did Collingwood play their midcourt with Browne, Robinson and

Did McAliffe play C ?

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Pies have an outstanding line-up and it will be interesting to see who sits on the bench. Rav Robo Browne Braz fighting for 3 spots.
    Clearly Braz will be WD but 3 world class players to fight for WA and C.
    Anything less than the final will be disappointing for them.

summerhill3

Welcome Waylay, and thanks for your thoughts – I’ve been wondering how the game went.

Rob Wright doesn’t show his hand much during pre-season games – so it was interesting to hear that the Pies didn’t run with their top lineup. I expect Braz to make a big difference once she comes back into the team too. So I don’t think they’d be too down hearted by a 1 goal loss, particularly with Braz out for a full match, and Medhurst and Mentor out for chunks of the match.

As you say, it will be fascinating to watch Lightning this season. If Maweni and Proscovia can settle into Australia and the expectations here, SCL will be an incredibly tough team.

Something that I think will have a huge impact on the season will be the two rounds immediately following the NWC bye. Teams without many internationals (Aussie or OS) will be able to train on without much interruption, while the players returning from Liverpool will have just 6 days to travel, overcome jetlag and the niggles of a tough tournament, before having to take the court again.

So I am expecting that teams such as Lightning, Magpies, Vixens will be most impacted. Fever will probably feel it among the least with just their two book ends out of action.

Ian

Browne was on the bench for the first half, she came on at half time.

Waylay

McAuliffe played C with Scherian in WA for about half the match which was probably their best line up. Koenen and Russell also played WA. Pies should have put the foot down mid-way through the game when Lightning had most of their bench on but to Lightning’s credit they stuck in there to give themselves a chance. Taurua made the trip down too and looked please with the 4th q fightback.

It will be interesting to see how the Pies navigate their midcourt. The Browne/Robinson combo as I said was super flashy and had the Lightning’s head spinning but Rav also played a good game when she was in C.

Was good to see Gabby Sinclair play too. She’s got a nice shot but a low release for a short player which Maweni was able to get a tip to twice in the last quarter. That’ll be something that opposition teams will figure out quickly so she’ll need to change something there.

Tully

Did Langman play? If not then there is just as much upside in Lightning. Surely LL’s presence will help Proscovia settle. Pretorious will settle Maweni, she hasn’t been in Australia very long.

I agree with other comments as to being interested as how to Collingwood play their midcourt. Will be fantastic at the preseason comp to have them all but come season proper someone will be on the bench in an unfamiliar role….

Tully

Something that I think will have a huge impact on the season will be the two rounds immediately following the NWC bye. Teams without many internationals (Aussie or OS) will be able to train on without much interruption, while the players returning from Liverpool will have just 6 days to travel, overcome jetlag and the niggles of a tough tournament, before having to take the court again.

So I am expecting that teams such as Lightning, Magpies, Vixens will be most impacted. Fever will probably feel it among the least with just their two book ends out of action.

I completely agree. I’d also say TBirds (they should have 5 athletes at WC I think?). Actually Lightning will most likely have 5 as well.

Vixens used the return from quad series as a trial. After WC they have 3 days to get home before playing a match so that’s what they did after quad series. Won’t make the transition perfect but may have learnt something they can use next time.

Waylay

No Langman didn’t play – I actually forgot she was apart of the Lightning team… I knew they were missing someone!!

Jbss

The teams least affected by internationals seem to be Fever, Firebirds(although the players that will likely be going are crucial players ie Gabi, Gretel and Romelda), Giants(the two definites being Harten and Cbass with JLP and Keira Austin potential bolters) and Swifts(even though unfortunately the three players most likely to go are all shooters).

Ian

Ian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.