NSW SWIFTS 2019

Home Forum Australia NSW SWIFTS 2019

This topic contains 172 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Sep 16, 2019 at 6:49 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Tully

This is so exciting!! I understand a lot of people’s argument of “what about Aussie talent” but let’s face it- this is only for the remainder of the season and it’s exciting as a netball fan to see more kiwis coming in 😍 and rore in the swifts was not a thought that ever crossed my mind

So if it’s “only for remainder of the season” why is it necessary?

NSW has always been one of the strongest states in Australia for netball development. Not a single NSW defender in the Swifts (excluding Moore now she is out injured). You can’t tell me NSW doesn’t have the talent.

It’s necessary when the swifts are quickly losing their defenders to injury and heading for their first finals series as a team. Rore is a great pickup and can help them with experience and talent.

i don’t see why you’re taking aim at the swifts for not developing nsw players when they are? Sophie Halpin is a defender and she’s an important part of the team, not just a benchwarmer. So what if the swifts are lacking nsw defenders? They are and have been developing nsw midcourters (Fraser, O’Brien, Hadley) as well as shooters (Letherbarrow).

not to mention the other nsw team the GIANTS, who have Matilda McDonnell, Tegan O’Shannassy, Kristiana Manu’a, Sam Poolman and Amy Parmenter.

what the swifts have done is fine.

I am not talking about what Giants are doing.

The Swifts have 4 imports in their 10 and 5 in their 12 this week. Sure, there is Fraser and Halpin. I think they have both been great and would be disappointed to see them on the bench behind an import. Because when the young talent has been backed they have performed, why run to an import? Overall do you really think the Swifts are developing and bringing through NSW talent? Because for all the NSW talent there are two players in Halpin and Fraser (not counting Hadley as she is not a young player coming though, she is an established Diamond) that have been given a chance. Moore was in the 10 so wasn’t used as a replacement player.

I am not targeting the Swifts. The thread is about the Swifts so I’m not going to start discussing another team (unless they are brought up as above).

For the record Swifts are my second favourite team. I like their style of play.  It this is disappointing.

You do have to mention the giants when your point was about Netball NSW as a state not holding up their strong reputation in player development. Sure they’ve opted to go with out of state talent (Klau, Turner, Garbin and Proud) but this is where my point of the Giants comes in.

If you look at the 2018 NSW 19/U team;

-Fraser has been picked up and developed by the Swifts

-Matilda McDonnell has gone to the Giants

-Teigan O’Shannassy/Giants

-Latika Tombs/Giants

and if you look at 19/U teams from the past 3 years;

-Claire Iongi/Swifts

-Amy Parmenter/Giants

-Toni Anderson/Giants

-Kiera Austin/Giants

-Claire O’Brien/Swifts

-Lauren Moore/Swifts

NSW players are being developed whether it’s on court in SSN or as training partners. Please don’t tell me not to talk about the giants because it’s a swifts thread when you are making a point about NSW players. NSW is two teams!

To me it almost seems like you have little faith in Akle as a coach, assuming that she will have tunnel vision for her imports when she has shown consistently that she backs her Australian talent. The only imports that you can say are always on the court are Housby and Wallace.

Who cares if Rore is in the swifts for not even half a season. Enjoy the spectacle and enjoy the fact that every player wants to experience the best netball competition in world. Enjoy that an experienced silver fern wants in on an Australian franchise even if it is only for the remainder of the season.

No, my point was not Netball NSW as a state not developing players or holding up their reputation in that regard. As I have said many times in here they are renowned for that.  Have not done the maths but it would be either NSW or VIC that have the most representatives in SSN overall. My point was netball in NSW at grassroots is phenomenal and as such if there are any teams in the league who have large pools of players to draw from Swifts would be one. As it stands how many NSW players will be in the Swifts 12 on the weekend?

As for my faith in Akle as a coach, not sure what you mean there? I’ve said before I like how Swifts play and if you were to ask me where I would rank Akle as a coach, it’d be top 3 in the league. As a coach overall that is, but of course there are many aspects to that.

I believe I have made my point and you are welcome to disagree. So will leave this at that.

olivia

This is so exciting!! I understand a lot of people’s argument of “what about Aussie talent” but let’s face it- this is only for the remainder of the season and it’s exciting as a netball fan to see more kiwis coming in 😍 and rore in the swifts was not a thought that ever crossed my mind

So if it’s “only for remainder of the season” why is it necessary?

NSW has always been one of the strongest states in Australia for netball development. Not a single NSW defender in the Swifts (excluding Moore now she is out injured). You can’t tell me NSW doesn’t have the talent.

It’s necessary when the swifts are quickly losing their defenders to injury and heading for their first finals series as a team. Rore is a great pickup and can help them with experience and talent.

i don’t see why you’re taking aim at the swifts for not developing nsw players when they are? Sophie Halpin is a defender and she’s an important part of the team, not just a benchwarmer. So what if the swifts are lacking nsw defenders? They are and have been developing nsw midcourters (Fraser, O’Brien, Hadley) as well as shooters (Letherbarrow).

not to mention the other nsw team the GIANTS, who have Matilda McDonnell, Tegan O’Shannassy, Kristiana Manu’a, Sam Poolman and Amy Parmenter.

what the swifts have done is fine.

I am not talking about what Giants are doing.

The Swifts have 4 imports in their 10 and 5 in their 12 this week. Sure, there is Fraser and Halpin. I think they have both been great and would be disappointed to see them on the bench behind an import. Because when the young talent has been backed they have performed, why run to an import? Overall do you really think the Swifts are developing and bringing through NSW talent? Because for all the NSW talent there are two players in Halpin and Fraser (not counting Hadley as she is not a young player coming though, she is an established Diamond) that have been given a chance. Moore was in the 10 so wasn’t used as a replacement player.

I am not targeting the Swifts. The thread is about the Swifts so I’m not going to start discussing another team (unless they are brought up as above).

For the record Swifts are my second favourite team. I like their style of play.  It this is disappointing.

You do have to mention the giants when your point was about Netball NSW as a state not holding up their strong reputation in player development. Sure they’ve opted to go with out of state talent (Klau, Turner, Garbin and Proud) but this is where my point of the Giants comes in.

If you look at the 2018 NSW 19/U team;

-Fraser has been picked up and developed by the Swifts

-Matilda McDonnell has gone to the Giants

-Teigan O’Shannassy/Giants

-Latika Tombs/Giants

and if you look at 19/U teams from the past 3 years;

-Claire Iongi/Swifts

-Amy Parmenter/Giants

-Toni Anderson/Giants

-Kiera Austin/Giants

-Claire O’Brien/Swifts

-Lauren Moore/Swifts

NSW players are being developed whether it’s on court in SSN or as training partners. Please don’t tell me not to talk about the giants because it’s a swifts thread when you are making a point about NSW players. NSW is two teams!

To me it almost seems like you have little faith in Akle as a coach, assuming that she will have tunnel vision for her imports when she has shown consistently that she backs her Australian talent. The only imports that you can say are always on the court are Housby and Wallace.

Who cares if Rore is in the swifts for not even half a season. Enjoy the spectacle and enjoy the fact that every player wants to experience the best netball competition in world. Enjoy that an experienced silver fern wants in on an Australian franchise even if it is only for the remainder of the season.

No, my point was not Netball NSW as a state not developing players or holding up their reputation in that regard. As I have said many times in here they are renowned for that.  Have not done the maths but it would be either NSW or VIC that have the most representatives in SSN overall. My point was netball in NSW at grassroots is phenomenal and as such if there are any teams in the league who have large pools of players to draw from Swifts would be one. As it stands how many NSW players will be in the Swifts 12 on the weekend?

As for my faith in Akle as a coach, not sure what you mean there? I’ve said before I like how Swifts play and if you were to ask me where I would rank Akle as a coach, it’d be top 3 in the league. As a coach overall that is, but of course there are many aspects to that.

I believe I have made my point and you are welcome to disagree. So will leave this at that.

My point about you having little faith in Akle is about the comment you made about seeing Halpin and Fraser on the bench in favour of imports even if they are playing well. Akle has shown all season that she will play them if they perform. That’s all I was getting at

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Ian

Swifts win another thriller against Firebirds http://www.nswswifts.com.au/archives/30098

Ian

Ian

Ian

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.