NSW SWIFTS 2019

Home Forum Australia NSW SWIFTS 2019

This topic contains 172 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Sep 16, 2019 at 6:49 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Nettylife

This is the 4th major injury the Swifts have had this year and 2 of them defenders, at the pointy end of the season you can’t blame them for choosing experience. They have also been developing local talent through the season so I don’t see it as win at all costs, just pragmatic  and this will be Cullen’s last week unless something changes. Which is a shame for her, loved seeing the joy on her face last week.

+1  Are the Swifts supposed to throw their season away? I don’t know where I sit with the import issue. I want the SSN to be the best competition it can be and that requires the best players but I also want to ensure Aussie talent is being developed – I know I’m greedy.

While we have unlimited imports I don’t blame the Swifts one bit for securing someone of Rore’s caliber – I am sure that Klau and Turner will benefit from her presence in the team.

What has Sophie Halpin done so wrong that playing her in WD would be throwing their season away?

Sophie Halpin has been great but Eddy has played defence in the circle a bit this year as well and if anything happened to Turner or Klau who would cover them?

Just because Rore is there doesn’t mean she will be a starting player but it’s certainly nice to have a defender of her quality as backup.

Tully

This is the 4th major injury the Swifts have had this year and 2 of them defenders, at the pointy end of the season you can’t blame them for choosing experience. They have also been developing local talent through the season so I don’t see it as win at all costs, just pragmatic  and this will be Cullen’s last week unless something changes. Which is a shame for her, loved seeing the joy on her face last week.

+1  Are the Swifts supposed to throw their season away? I don’t know where I sit with the import issue. I want the SSN to be the best competition it can be and that requires the best players but I also want to ensure Aussie talent is being developed – I know I’m greedy.

While we have unlimited imports I don’t blame the Swifts one bit for securing someone of Rore’s caliber – I am sure that Klau and Turner will benefit from her presence in the team.

What has Sophie Halpin done so wrong that playing her in WD would be throwing their season away?

Sophie Halpin has been great but Eddy has played defence in the circle a bit this year as well and if anything happened to Turner or Klau who would cover them?

Just because Rore is there doesn’t mean she will be a starting player but it’s certainly nice to have a defender of her quality as backup.

Well if Rore is not going to be starting 7 then her recruitment over a young player is even more ridiculous. Like Poi at Magpies. There has to be a player in ANL who has had a great year and could sit on the bench.

Luvpav

Please stop this import madness!

olivia

This is so exciting!! I understand a lot of people’s argument of “what about Aussie talent” but let’s face it- this is only for the remainder of the season and it’s exciting as a netball fan to see more kiwis coming in 😍 and rore in the swifts was not a thought that ever crossed my mind

So if it’s “only for remainder of the season” why is it necessary?

NSW has always been one of the strongest states in Australia for netball development. Not a single NSW defender in the Swifts (excluding Moore now she is out injured). You can’t tell me NSW doesn’t have the talent.

It’s necessary when the swifts are quickly losing their defenders to injury and heading for their first finals series as a team. Rore is a great pickup and can help them with experience and talent.

i don’t see why you’re taking aim at the swifts for not developing nsw players when they are? Sophie Halpin is a defender and she’s an important part of the team, not just a benchwarmer. So what if the swifts are lacking nsw defenders? They are and have been developing nsw midcourters (Fraser, O’Brien, Hadley) as well as shooters (Letherbarrow).

not to mention the other nsw team the GIANTS, who have Matilda McDonnell, Tegan O’Shannassy, Kristiana Manu’a, Sam Poolman and Amy Parmenter.

what the swifts have done is fine.

Swifts1

Not sure why everyone is jumping up and down about the Swifts signing Rore as a replacement player. The Swifts only had 2 imports in their original 10 contracted players but have been hit hard with injuries. Lightning has 4, Tbirds 4 plus 1 replacement player even the Vixens have 3 in their 10. It’s unfair to to have a go at the Swifts when all the teams are doing the same thing.

Tully

Not sure why everyone is jumping up and down about the Swifts signing Rore as a replacement player. The Swifts only had 2 imports in their original 10 contracted players but have been hit hard with injuries. Lightning has 4, Tbirds 4 plus 1 replacement player even the Vixens have 3 in their 10. It’s unfair to to have a go at the Swifts when all the teams are doing the same thing.

Vixens have 2. Kumwenda dropped out of the 10 after her ACL.

Sure Lightning have 4. They are based on the Sunshine Coast as a second team in a state without anywhere near the same strength in netball. They are also helping netball’s international development given who and where their imports are largely from.

I had the same comments about TBirds when they replaced Cobden with an unnecessary import. Same with Burger and Firebirds.

Tully

This is so exciting!! I understand a lot of people’s argument of “what about Aussie talent” but let’s face it- this is only for the remainder of the season and it’s exciting as a netball fan to see more kiwis coming in 😍 and rore in the swifts was not a thought that ever crossed my mind

NSW has always been one of the strongest states in Australia for netball development. Not a single NSW defender in the Swifts (excluding Moore now she is out injured). You can’t tell me NSW doesn’t have the talent.

It’s necessary when the swifts are quickly losing their defenders to injury and heading for their first finals series as a team. Rore is a great pickup and can help them with experience and talent.

i don’t see why you’re taking aim at the swifts for not developing nsw players when they are? Sophie Halpin is a defender and she’s an important part of the team, not just a benchwarmer. So what if the swifts are lacking nsw defenders? They are and have been developing nsw midcourters (Fraser, O’Brien, Hadley) as well as shooters (Letherbarrow).

not to mention the other nsw team the GIANTS, who have Matilda McDonnell, Tegan O’Shannassy, Kristiana Manu’a, Sam Poolman and Amy Parmenter.

I am not talking about what Giants are doing.

The Swifts have 4 imports in their 10 and 5 in their 12 this week. Sure, there is Fraser and Halpin. I think they have both been great and would be disappointed to see them on the bench behind an import. Because when the young talent has been backed they have performed, why run to an import? Overall do you really think the Swifts are developing and bringing through NSW talent? Because for all the NSW talent there are two players in Halpin and Fraser (not counting Hadley as she is not a young player coming though, she is an established Diamond) that have been given a chance. Moore was in the 10 so wasn’t used as a replacement player.

I am not targeting the Swifts. The thread is about the Swifts so I’m not going to start discussing another team (unless they are brought up as above).

For the record Swifts are my second favourite team. I like their style of play.  It this is disappointing.

Jbss

There’s actually not an obvious GD/GK to bring up. Yes there are ANL girls but given Moore was in the 10 the Swifts actually didn’t have any TPs who were circle defenders. This means anyone that joins will not have done preseason or been training in that environment or at that intensity. I like that Grant has been brought in given her finals experience and what she can teach Klau and Turner. I still think Halpin and Turner will get court time. I do still hope that SSN limits the amount of injury replacements who can be imports. Aside from Grant I can’t think of a particularly strong import whose been brought in as a replacement whereas the one already contracted are the ones who are exciting to watch.

Swifts1

Vixens have 2. Kumwenda dropped out of the 10 after her ACL.

Sure Lightning have 4. They are based on the Sunshine Coast as a second team in a state without anywhere near the same strength in netball. They are also helping netball’s international development given who and where their imports are largely from.

I had the same comments about TBirds when they replaced Cobden with an unnecessary import. Same with Burger and Firebirds.

And the Swifts had 2 in their 10 before being ravished by injuries.

Swifts1

Sorry I forgot Nat H but she hasn’t taken court.

I discussion about the number of imports the SSN teams can have is an important and valid discussion to have. I just don’t think it should be in the context of a single teams decision. All the teams except for the Giants have multiple imports.

al_ex

It’s interesting to me that everyone is talking about “local talent” but no one has actually dropped any names. I have followed the Waratahs quite closely and to be honest I don’t think any of the defenders can step up to this level, including Moore. Players like Styles who are in their late 2os are not “emerging” and the other players simply didn’t impress me. Sure the Swifts could have a grab at someone like Ellis who is a Vixens training partner (who is actually a NSW player originally), but given players need to play 4 rounds (I think) to be eligible for finals it would be a risk picking someone who is not certain to make a positive impact on the court. Rore is also quite clearly a replacement for Cullen and I would be astonished to see them both in the 10 in two weeks’ time. And to be completely honest I think Akle will start Halpin anyway, so I don’t think Rore will do anything but good for the careers of the back three defenders. It is shaping up that next year the Swifts will only have two imports (maybe three of Eddy moves southward and they go for Cullen), so I really don’t see why some people are so outraged. I actually feel bad for the team that they might miss out on the championship due to two horribly timed injuries. Would be interested to see how the Vixens and Lightning would do without Watson, Ingles, Scherian and McCauliffe.

netballcrazy1

There’s actually not an obvious GD/GK to bring up. Yes there are ANL girls but given Moore was in the 10 the Swifts actually didn’t have any TPs who were circle defenders. This means anyone that joins will not have done preseason or been training in that environment or at that intensity. I like that Grant has been brought in given her finals experience and what she can teach Klau and Turner. I still think Halpin and Turner will get court time. I do still hope that SSN limits the amount of injury replacements who can be imports. Aside from Grant I can’t think of a particularly strong import whose been brought in as a replacement whereas the one already contracted are the ones who are exciting to watch.

+1

Tully

It’s interesting to me that everyone is talking about “local talent” but no one has actually dropped any names. I have followed the Waratahs quite closely and to be honest I don’t think any of the defenders can step up to this level, including Moore. Players like Styles who are in their late 2os are not “emerging” and the other players simply didn’t impress me. Sure the Swifts could have a grab at someone like Ellis who is a Vixens training partner (who is actually a NSW player originally), but given players need to play 4 rounds (I think) to be eligible for finals it would be a risk picking someone who is not certain to make a positive impact on the court. Rore is also quite clearly a replacement for Cullen and I would be astonished to see them both in the 10 in two weeks’ time. And to be completely honest I think Akle will start Halpin anyway, so I don’t think Rore will do anything but good for the careers of the back three defenders. It is shaping up that next year the Swifts will only have two imports (maybe three of Eddy moves southward and they go for Cullen), so I really don’t see why some people are so outraged. I actually feel bad for the team that they might miss out on the championship due to two horribly timed injuries. Would be interested to see how the Vixens and Lightning would do without Watson, Ingles, Scherian and McCauliffe.

Rudi Ellis, is who I was thinking of. It is my understanding despite being a TP she could join another club.

Had she not had shoulder surgery I would have suggested Sharni Lambden (despite being Victorian).

Whilst unfortunate injuries are a true test of a team’s depth and squad (and what they are doing in that regard). To clarify my comments are around imports as permanent replacement players as opposed to those there from the start. As I’ve said above I had the same comments about Firebirds,  Thunderbirds and Magpies so my comments do not relate only to Swifts / Rore but the rules that allow it to happen across the league. Next thing we will have a ridiculous June 30 rule like the NRL.

olivia

I am not talking about what Giants are doing.

The Swifts have 4 imports in their 10 and 5 in their 12 this week. Sure, there is Fraser and Halpin. I think they have both been great and would be disappointed to see them on the bench behind an import. Because when the young talent has been backed they have performed, why run to an import? Overall do you really think the Swifts are developing and bringing through NSW talent? Because for all the NSW talent there are two players in Halpin and Fraser (not counting Hadley as she is not a young player coming though, she is an established Diamond) that have been given a chance. Moore was in the 10 so wasn’t used as a replacement player.

I am not targeting the Swifts. The thread is about the Swifts so I’m not going to start discussing another team (unless they are brought up as above).

For the record Swifts are my second favourite team. I like their style of play.  It this is disappointing.

You do have to mention the giants when your point was about Netball NSW as a state not holding up their strong reputation in player development. Sure they’ve opted to go with out of state talent (Klau, Turner, Garbin and Proud) but this is where my point of the Giants comes in.

If you look at the 2018 NSW 19/U team;

-Fraser has been picked up and developed by the Swifts

-Matilda McDonnell has gone to the Giants

-Teigan O’Shannassy/Giants

-Latika Tombs/Giants

and if you look at 19/U teams from the past 3 years;

-Claire Iongi/Swifts

-Amy Parmenter/Giants

-Toni Anderson/Giants

-Kiera Austin/Giants

-Claire O’Brien/Swifts

-Lauren Moore/Swifts

NSW players are being developed whether it’s on court in SSN or as training partners. Please don’t tell me not to talk about the giants because it’s a swifts thread when you are making a point about NSW players. NSW is two teams!

To me it almost seems like you have little faith in Akle as a coach, assuming that she will have tunnel vision for her imports when she has shown consistently that she backs her Australian talent. The only imports that you can say are always on the court are Housby and Wallace.

Who cares if Rore is in the swifts for not even half a season. Enjoy the spectacle and enjoy the fact that every player wants to experience the best netball competition in world. Enjoy that an experienced silver fern wants in on an Australian franchise even if it is only for the remainder of the season.

TB

The unlimited imports (IMO) is almost a stroke of genius – in terms of exposure for the game. SSN has players from a few African countries, NZ and England. People from all over the world, will start downloading the netball app (if they can internationally?).

Netball as a whole, is creating some much needed international interest.

However for the Diamonds team, the national coach may not be too happy about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.