Male commentators (channel 9)

Home Forum Australia Male commentators (channel 9)

This topic contains 58 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  TB Sep 14, 2019 at 12:59 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Yeah, there’s a BIG difference between sideline commentators and actual callers.

NettySuperFan

Yeah, there’s a BIG difference between sideline commentators and actual callers.

Yep, and the reason there are used isn’t nescessarily for any insight, but to be the ‘pretty-face presenter’

Nettynut

Kelli Underwood calls AFL games on ABC.

Ian

Yeah, that’s ABC and it’s radio. It’s not free to air commercial TV. She called some AFL games on Ch10 several years ago, got severely criticised and I don’t think anything like that is going to happen again any time soon. I’m not saying that’s right, I’m just saying that’s the way it is.

Cricket seems to be the only big name male sport where female ball by ball callers are a feature. And that’s only a recent thing.

Brig

Lauren Arnell is on ABC as a caller and is excellent.

Yeah, on commercial tele, other special comments ive seen have been from Sam Lane,  Caro, Daisy Pearce, and of course boundary work…

Its annoying that women dont get to call even the women’s game. Cause community, women like Chylo Kurdas call the VFL weekly.

Turningpoint

Step up your game boys.

Abbey McCulloch just retired.

Rebound1977

I couldn’t care less whether a commentator is a woman or a man and neither do most people, I think what the thread is getting at is not liking inexperienced or boring commentators and several of the males doing SSN fall into this category.

I would much rather hear an experienced person calling the game and I think Ch9 really needs to look at bringing in former players and coaches who have the ability to commentate.  I would love it if they brought Yvonne Willering in – she is fascinating to listen to but unfortunately has only rarely been used as a commentator.  I’d also love to listen to Ruth Aitken, Tracey Neville and Norma Plummer who I think would be brilliant.  Kath Harby is probably one of the best former players as a commentator.  Liz Ellis and Sue Gaudion are the absolute best to listen to.

It would also be great to maybe get commentary from an umpire too – I think Sharon Kelly would be awesome but she doesn’t like doing that type of thing.

hiphop

Step up your game boys.

Abbey McCulloch just retired.

She was pretty much retired last year and while she would be ahead of Megan Anderson in quality, she has a lot of improving to do.

Belle7

I can see I’m late to this chat but still wanted to comment.

Some of the male commentators are okay. Sue Gaudion though, she’s terrible. She gets players’ names wrong, makes up her own nicknames/shortened names for them, says things that don’t make sense because she can’t select the correct words to use … she drives me crazy, and she’s assigned to commentate so many matches, which is such a shame. So I’d r any of the male commentaries over Sue!

Waylay

Some of the male commentators are okay. Sue Gaudion though, she’s terrible. She gets players’ names wrong, makes up her own nicknames/shortened names for them, says things that don’t make sense because she can’t select the correct words to use … she drives me crazy, and she’s assigned to commentate so many matches, which is such a shame. So I’d r any of the male commentaries over Sue!

Are you kidding? Sue is the voice of netball! The reason she is assigned to so many matches is because she’s a great laugh and bloody knowledgable, plus above all she is so passionate about the game. Last season she did a stellar job at boosting tv ratings so that channel nine would stay involved. She’s a big reason we can even watch the netball live in the first place. Open your eyes (or ears in this case) and you’ll see how fantastic she is.

Ian

Goodness me.

Belle7

Are you kidding? Sue is the voice of netball! The reason she is assigned to so many matches is because she’s a great laugh and bloody knowledgable, plus above all she is so passionate about the game. Last season she did a stellar job at boosting tv ratings so that channel nine would stay involved. She’s a big reason we can even watch the netball live in the first place. Open your eyes (or ears in this case) and you’ll see how fantastic she is.

Sue’s definitely enthusiastic, but all her spoken errors are frustrating!

mcleod

There is nothing wrong with Sue, she is by far the best.

Pardalote

I am frequently an occupant of Pedant’s Corner, and sometimes find myself correcting radio announcers who mispronounce – nukular rather than nuclear (a la George Bush) is a particular irritant. But I have not noticed Sue Gaudion to be anything but audible, intelligible, engaging and entertaining. I am not aware of any ‘spoken errors’ to which you refer, without any evidence. Do you have an axe to grind with her, Belle7, since your only posts – since joining the Forum yesterday – seem to be about Sue.

hiphop

I’m not a huge fan of Sue commentating either. The Home Alone call she keeps hollering about is getting boring and her Fever bias is bad. I don’t think she is the worst by long way but I don’t understand the people who fawn over as if she is perfect.

But as long as no one is arguing for more Sharni calling games I will be happy.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.