Male commentators (channel 9)

Home Forum Australia Male commentators (channel 9)

This topic contains 58 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  TB Sep 14, 2019 at 12:59 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    intimidation

Why does channel 9 insist on hiring men to commentate a sport they know little about, when there are plenty of ex-players/other women who are infinitely more knowledgeable about the game? None of them are interested in netball, they simply wish to further their careers with Channel 9. And I think that’s not good enough. Being a super netball commentator ought to be the epitome of a commentating career. The men spit out nothing but cliches and general sports terminology, and they get excited at the wrong times/over nothing. Their on court interviews also leave a lot to be desired, because they know little about the players or the game. Does anybody genuinely appreciate their work?

ahdz

Same could be said for the women who commentate on rugby league that aren’t players themselves. I think it’s for diversity and to try and bring in new fans to the sports. FTA sports need ratings and the networks will do whatever they can to bring new people in I guess

Kwkiwi

I don’t mind some of the male commentators. I think some of them do a good job and don’t detract from watching the game at all. They all have a good knowledge of sport, clearly. Some of the women commentators actually are harder to listen to, even though they’ve played netball.

James

Just because you’ve played a sport doesn’t make you a good commentator. Annie is one lady who springs to mind!

Yes, some of the men are horrible but the women aren’t that great either

Sue, Liz, Cath, Dan and Sharelle to an extent are great in commentary together but Sharelle is now Vixens assistant, Dan is coaching NI. Unfortunately Sue, Liz and Cath cannot be at every single game.

Geitz, Chatfield, McCulloch and Anderson on the sidelines this year haven’t been that great and I actually think Jack Merketta I think his name is has probably been one of the best on the sidelines

Will McCloy is getting there when it comes to netball knowledge. Seb sounds like he is learning how to commentate from Annie. Tom Rehn again is decent but nothing special

I’m just glad they haven’t gone like the NRL recently on Channel 9 and have 5/6 commentators who all ramble and make themselves sound self important

Kellie

I think Seb Costello being so awful means that we’re automatically jumping to thinking that the other men are, too. As James said, Will McCloy is pretty decent. I don’t mind Tom Rehn either, I’ve noticed he will defer to his female counterpart if he isn’t sure about something.

intimidation

Same could be said for the women who commentate on rugby league that aren’t players themselves. I think it’s for diversity and to try and bring in new fans to the sports. FTA sports need ratings and the networks will do whatever they can to bring new people in I guess

Which women commentate NRL? None as far as I’m aware. Yvonne Sampson hosts the coverage from the studio (and does a fine job of it), but she is not a commentator. Lara Pitt and Megan Barnard have also had minor roles on the sidelines, but I don’t believe there has ever been a female primary commentator during live play.

Same goes for AFL, except for Kelli Underwood’s brief appearances.

Do you really believe the diversity of novice male commentators is attracting new fans to the game?

hiphop

Just because you’ve played a sport doesn’t make you a good commentator. Annie is one lady who springs to mind!

Yes, some of the men are horrible but the women aren’t that great either

Sue, Liz, Cath, Dan and Sharelle to an extent are great in commentary together but Sharelle is now Vixens assistant, Dan is coaching NI. Unfortunately Sue, Liz and Cath cannot be at every single game.

Geitz, Chatfield, McCulloch and Anderson on the sidelines this year haven’t been that great and I actually think Jack Merketta I think his name is has probably been one of the best on the sidelines

Will McCloy is getting there when it comes to netball knowledge. Seb sounds like he is learning how to commentate from Annie. Tom Rehn again is decent but nothing special

I’m just glad they haven’t gone like the NRL recently on Channel 9 and have 5/6 commentators who all ramble and make themselves sound self important

Completely agree. Seb isn’t great but Megan Andersen is terrible and McCulloch isn’t much better. Both of the Adelaide men commentators are really good and I agree Will McCloy is getting better.

This is exactly the sort of thread I would expect to see in a mens sport, complaining about women commentators, which would make me so angry. There are bigger issues facing our sport.

ahdz

Actually you’re right, the only woman I’ve heard commentate was Ruan and she’s a former Jillaroos captain

mcleod

I just watch the games in silence, I can see what is happening no need for endless horse race announcing.

Bluebird

I quite like the men. They make me laugh. And because they don’t know as much it does mean you get some explanations from the female commentator which is good for any viewers new to the sport.

GoSwifts

The word ‘interception’ in netball commentary does my head in – doesn’t matter if it is a female or male commentator.  Second, an intercept is an intercept, not a bad pass.  One of the commentators was going crazy over ‘Em’ Mannix intercepts (why isn’t she ever called Emily by the commentators?) when one of them was an overcooked pass that sailed into ‘Em’s’ hands and missed Bassett altogether.  A few seasons ago they used to be harder on what constituted an intercept but now anytime the defence gets a ball thrown in the air and not deflected it becomes and intercept.  No wonder the stats are now showing 9 intercepts a game.

Waylay

Megan Anderson is an awful sideline commentator, so monotoned

Turningpoint

I haven’t seen any jobs advertised.

Love to put my spin on it.

Of course I wouldn’t do SCL games.

mcleod

The word ‘interception’ in netball commentary does my head in – doesn’t matter if it is a female or male commentator. Second, an intercept is an intercept, not a bad pass. One of the commentators was going crazy over ‘Em’ Mannix intercepts (why isn’t she ever called Emily by the commentators?) when one of them was an overcooked pass that sailed into ‘Em’s’ hands and missed Bassett altogether. A few seasons ago they used to be harder on what constituted an intercept but now anytime the defence gets a ball thrown in the air and not deflected it becomes and intercept. No wonder the stats are now showing 9 intercepts a game.

Then there is the utter excitement when a shooter gets a long bomb.

But I was pretty impressed with the excitement of Annie and the guy, when Nelson got that stunner at the games end on Sunday.  Even I clapped,

Jbss

I can’t get on board with Mccloy after some of his social media comments about netball which is a shame because he’s alright. Maybe they were taken out of context but I think they were tone deaf and gross anyway. Rehn is alright but I think he gets paired with Cox a lot who does a good job of helping him do his which someone like Sergeant probably wouldn’t. I don’t think it has to be gendered, let’s just get good commentators and keep channel nines employees to a sideline, announced, introductory etc role where they ask questions of the actual experts. Men like Dan Ryan are brilliant commentators and because they actually know the game are so much more insightful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.