Latest INF World Rankings

Home Forum World Latest INF World Rankings

This topic contains 99 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  boogieya Mar 21, 2019 at 5:29 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Not sure but it should be pretty soon. And it’s going to be REALLY interesting.

If any of the teams end up with the same about of points, how would they determine the rankings. Would they just make the teams equal in the ranking, or do they use another stat to separate them?

The ratings figure that you see is rounded up or down to the nearest number. So even if teams have the same rating figure which could possibly happen this time, one of them will almost certainly be fractionally in front of the other. I’ve just done a rough calculation and have NZ, Eng & Jam VERY close together. There’s a possibility that the Comm Games champions could be as low as 4th!

NettySuperFan

If any of the teams end up with the same about of points, how would they determine the rankings. Would they just make the teams equal in the ranking, or do they use another stat to separate them?

The ratings figure that you see is rounded up or down to the nearest number. So even if teams have the same rating figure which could possibly happen this time, one of them will almost certainly be fractionally in front of the other. I’ve just done a rough calculation and have NZ, Eng & Jam VERY close together. There’s a possibility that the Comm Games champions could be as low as 4th!

I think it would be awesome if Jamaica could jump into 2nd. That would be amazing, to have three different teams be in second place at one point in the span of less than a year! Thanks for clarifying :)

Jinxibo

Can’t agree mcleod. They rested a few of their big stars – who absolutely need a break ahead of a big 2019. Overuse injury concerns/off season surgeries/mental freshness/occ health and safety are all valid reasons. They gave their next players down valuable court time, and these players are going to be the future of English netball. How else will they learn other than playing against the best nations. No point sending them to Europe Netball style tournaments – they need to see what it’s like playing top 5 sides.

Yes all the players are in need of a break, but England are playing Uganda in December in 3 tests. Um why and just why. I thought NZ played a lot of tests, but clearly England do as well.

Summerhill is right IMO. Eng did the right thing and rested their big guns. Some of the B+ team that lost to JAM are part of the elite programme. Don’t know if you saw any of the games but i can let you some of the “elite” were very disappointing.

I don’t think the team to play Uganda has been selected yet but i expect it to be a mix of the squad that toured JAM and fast 5. The big guns will be missing, that includes HH as she took a knock to the knee  :big_boss:

PhilT

Done a calculation myself using Quad Series, Constellation Cup and the Jamaica v England series (they’re the only games played since July if I remember correctly) and I have

1. Aus 210 -(2)
    2. NZ 173 (+1)
    3. Jam 172 (+8)
    4. Eng 170 (-4)

Ian

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I have. There could be some minor differences when they work them out officially, but all we know is that 2nd to 4th will be very close and England could very well drop from 2nd to 4th despite being CG champions.

NettySuperFan

Yikes! But I’m very surprized to see Australia move down 2, they have only had two loses and I-don’t-know-how-many wins, so its hard to understand why/how those loses can outway the many more wins they have had.

Ian

I actually didn’t worry about working out Australia’s rating. I was only concerned with 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

But when you have such a high rating already, you don’t gain very much by winning matches and you lose quite a bit by losing matches. That’s because you’re always playing against teams rated a fair bit inferior to you. And remember, the last set of ratings were in July, so we haven’t had a huge number of tests since then. Conversely, if you lose to a high rating team like Australia, it doesn’t cost you much, but if you manage to beat them, it’s a big boost to your own rating. That’s why NZ can jump up to 2nd place despite this record…

Since July:

Aust 6 wins 1 loss
    Jam 5 wins 0 losses
    Eng 2 wins 4 losses
    NZ 2 wins 5 losses

Ian

The latest rankings update is out and it’s just as I predicted… NZ, Jam, Eng in that order for 2nd, 3rd & 4th all incredibly close together.

. http://netball.org/archives/15388

1 Australia 211 (-1)
    2 New Zealand 173 (+1)
    3 Jamaica 172 (+8)
    4 England 172 (-2)
    5 South Africa 142
    6 Malawi 119 (-5)
    7 Uganda 119 (-4)
    8 Northern Ireland 111
    9 Scotland 111
    10 Trinidad & Tobago 107 (+9)
    11 Wales 97
    12 Barbados 95 (+1)
    13 Zimbabwe 84
    14 Fiji 83
    15 Samoa 81
    16 Zambia 73 (+7)
    17 Cook Islands 70
    18 Papua New Guinea 64
    19 Sri Lanka 51 (+26)
    20 Ireland 49
    21 Swaziland 9 45
    22 Grenada 45 (+9)
    23 St Vincent & Grenadines 44 (NEW)
    24 Botswana 38
    25 Singapore 37 (-2)
    26 Canada 35 (+1)
    27 Malaysia 31 (-2)
    28 Hong Kong 21 (-2)
    29 Bermuda 20
    30 Tonga 19
    31 Gibraltar 18
    32 Namibia 17 (-6)
    33 USA 12 (NEW)
    34 Thailand 11 (NEW)
    35 St Maarten 1 (-8)
    36 Chinese Taipei 0
    37 Israel 0
    38 Switzerland 0
    39 Argentina 0 (NEW)

Ian

This is how close it is…

NZ 172.5
    Jam 172.1
    Eng 171.8

Those are the actual ratings before they get rounded up & down, so there is 0.7 between the 3 teams.

NettySuperFan

It so great to see the rankings so close. Would love to see Jamaica spend some time in 2nd place, just like England got to. It would also be nice for the three of them to close the gap a bit on Australia seeing when they verse in a match it really is up in the air sometimes. Also something maybe underated is the closeness between Uganda and Malawi. Had Uganda won 1 game against England they would’ve moved up to sixth place which is great strides for the team. It would also be nice is SCL could play some practice matches against Uganda since Peace is playing there now (similiar to how England played against Giants and Swifts), although I can imagine money could be an issue for the team which is sad. Also huge congrats to Sri Lanke on their massive jump up the rankings, and St Vincent & Grenadines on their high ranking for a new team. Also the fact that there is a TINY 0.7!!! points between 2nd and 4th. I don’t think England could be too upset with there placing when they look at that.

Pardalote

NI and Scotland tied on 111. That makes the European rivalry even tighter, as they are often playing off – with Wales – for two spots in CWGs and WC tournaments

blondebomb

Why has Sri Lanka done such a jump?

familjen

I think because they won the Asian world cup qualifier and a couple of tests against Singapore + a losing series against Malawi?

Ian

Why has Sri Lanka done such a jump?

Not sure if you remember back a few years ago but they brought in a coach who was really deplorable. She simply had no idea and played favourites. As an example, she picked her own daughter who clearly wasn’t up to it as an international player and made her the captain. All of the top Sri Lankan players then decided to boycott the team because she was the coach. That included Sivalingam, the incredibly tall shooter who was the reason for a lot of their previous success. So Sri Lanka went totally downhill. All that is happening now is they are returning to where they should have been all along as they’ve got a new coach and all the top players including Sivalingam have come back.

Ian

This is how close it is…

NZ 172.5
    Jam 172.1
    Eng 171.8

Those are the actual ratings before they get rounded up & down, so there is 0.7 between the 3 teams.

The rankings have been updated after the Quad Series. England have returned to 2nd place and New Zealand has dropped to 4th. But as with the previous set of rankings, there is very little between 2nd, 3rd & 4th…

Eng 173.1
    Jam 172.1
    NZ 171.7

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.