Latest INF World Rankings

Home Forum World Latest INF World Rankings

This topic contains 99 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  boogieya Mar 21, 2019 at 5:29 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Just a question but on average how much are different tournaments worth in points, such as a comparison between CWG, WC, and the quad series or other matches between countries a bit lower down on the table

That is one of the things I REALLY don’t agree with. The top tournaments are worth no more points at all. For example, the World Championship final between Aust & NZ was worth exactly the same as any regular test match between Aust & NZ.

Drewski

Very very close ranking point totals between teams number 6-9, could easily be changes in pecking order in the next year…

Malawi
    Fiji
    Wales
    Uganda

Personally it feels much more like the correct order is

Malawi, Uganda, Wales, Fiji

netballcrazy1

Just a question but on average how much are different tournaments worth in points, such as a comparison between CWG, WC, and the quad series or other matches between countries a bit lower down on the table

That is one of the things I REALLY don’t agree with. The top tournaments are worth no more points at all. For example, the World Championship final between Aust & NZ was worth exactly the same as any regular test match between Aust & NZ.

What? Really. I second that, big tournaments should definitely be worth more than test matches. So is it that everything in the international netball world is worth the same amount of points? Even small friendlies

Ian

If it’s an officially sanctioned test match it is worth exactly the same as a WC or CG final. The only difference being that in a game between Hong Kong and Ireland or something, because their ratings are so low, there will be nothing like the number of points up for grabs as in a test between Aust & NZ. But the basic rules and scoring method is the same.

netballcrazy1

Wowza. There really need to be some changes with that in the future

Ian

It’s been going for about 10 years I think with no sign of change, so I doubt it will.

To give an illustration of how you earn points, currently Australia’s rating is 211 and NZ’s is 186. If you win, you get 50 points more than your opponent and if you lose, you get 50 points less. So, if Aust plays NZ and wins, they get 236 points, if they lose… 136. If NZ wins, they get 261 points, if they lose 161. So NZ will get more points for beating Aust than Aust will for beating NZ. There are other different rules depending on each country’s rating but that’s the general gist of it.

Ian

Just worked it out. The recent T&T v Barbados series was very costly for T&T. They lost the series 3-0 at home. All they had to do was win one of the 3 tests and they would be going to the Gold Coast instead of Scotland.

netballcrazy1

Woah so Nz could easily take over that top spot even if they aren’t the ‘best team’ necessarily

Brig

NZ would take over the top spot if they beat the top team, and all the other teams under them. Which they could do, don’t know about ‘easily’ but definitely ‘feasibly’!

Ian

No. That’s not right. There is 25 points between them which is a huge margin for Aust & NZ. So at the moment NZ gets 25 more points for beating Australia than the other way round. But that doesn’t mean they take over top spot. Beating Australia in one game wouldn’t be enough. NZ would pretty much have to beat Australia (and everyone else) every time they play them from now to the Comm Games to take the top spot.

If NZ beats Australia the next time they play them, their rating will rise from 186 to 189 and Australia’s will drop from 211 to 208. That’s still 19 points difference.

netballcrazy1

Oh I thought they got 50 points for a win

Ian

No, you get 50 points MORE than your opponent’s rating. Australia’s rating is 211. So if NZ beats them in the next test, they get 261 points for that game.

A team’s rating is the average number of points they score per match over the qualifying period.

Brig

Sorry- thats what i meant by feasibly. NZ can take top ranking by beating everyone for the next year. It seems fair to me.

naks10

Just worked it out. The recent T&T v Barbados series was very costly for T&T. They lost the series 3-0 at home. All they had to do was win one of the 3 tests and they would be going to the Gold Coast instead of Scotland.

Spewing they didn’t have SWal then!

Brig

Yeah, did they have Wallace and McCollin available? Is this problem with playing in the Australian and English comps if it costs the country the opportunity to play at the Comm Games?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.