Kiwis over Australians in Super Netball upsets Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander

Home Forum New Zealand Kiwis over Australians in Super Netball upsets Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander

This topic contains 31 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Jbss Aug 18, 2019 at 2:38 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    TACTIXSUPPORTER

Well Franchises need to put faith in their young Australians.

Massive Poi fan, but it’s crazy they didn’t use a training partner

James

Poi, Burger and van der Merwe are the ones I’m annoyed at. They haven’t played any better than an Australian could have so they didn’t need to be included. Also Potgeiter now that Aiken is back give a young player (not ALM as she is going back to NZ) the spot on the bench, she will rarely get on court but will be in the training squad

Also Malesala and Cullen but they were only TRP

Venter I think is the biggest waste of a spot as she rarely gets on court and now she is injured. But I think they only got her until Kumwenda is back so her injury will probably last a while now

mcleod

Same could be said for Charlee Hodges coming and playing in the ANZ, she didn’t set the world on fire, infact bench sat for over 1/2 the comp.

Thought she was supposed to be back in the Tbirds fold after the ANZ, she may have been for 1-2 games, but is now gone for Emma Ryde.

Dehany from the Vixens another waste of a import, bench sits.  Bench sat for Jamaica at the WC as well.

And if the NZ comp starts in Feb like the UK one, and the SSN in late April again in 2020, expect the same thing to happen.

montyb

This makes me grin just a little bit…. given it was only a few years ago players like khao watts and Caitlyn thwaites were being elevated to diamonds squads after being given opportunities in Nz. I do appreciate the comp was officially ‘trans tasman’ back then, but still surely it has to go both ways Lisa?

al_ex

Dehaney is not a wasted Import, she is without doubt the best GK not in a starting 7. She’s made a big impact in quite a few games when Mannix has been quiet, especially the Fever game in Perth where they stole the draw. As for bench sitting for Jamaica, which players wouldn’t be when Sterling is also in the team.

Tully

Dehaney is not a wasted Import, she is without doubt the best GK not in a starting 7. She’s made a big impact in quite a few games when Mannix has been quiet, especially the Fever game in Perth where they stole the draw. As for bench sitting for Jamaica, which players wouldn’t be when Sterling is also in the team.

I agree, Dehaney is not a waste of a spot. In both her teams she is behind Sterling and Mannix. When she has come on for Vixens she has had very good impact. Being off contract she could move to a team where she would walk into starting 7 such as Firebirds or Giants. Vixens can them bring through a young defender (they have plenty!).

Venter was signed due to Kumwenda’s ACL injury and before Vixens heard about Thwaites / Magpies split. Will she be there next year? Who knows.

Burger, Potgeiter, Poi, Van Der Merwe and I would say Rore aren’t needed. Rore’s stats were poor against Vixens and she did not keep Watson quiet, Halpin could have done the same job.

NZChampion

Rores stats were low, however most WDs struggle to shine in the stats. Her attacking through court is flawless, something the stats don’t show. Swifts did beat Vixens didn’t they? She is signed to Pulse next year anyway.

Nettylife

I think Rore did have a big impact on Watson. She normally averages around 45 feeds per game and was down to 33.  But she is only temporary and contracted back in NZ but I guess might come back when she decides to retire internationally.

Tully

I think Klau shut down Thwaites. Once Kumwenda was on the feeds were slick.

xpert11

Same could be said for Charlee Hodges coming and playing in the ANZ, she didn’t set the world on fire, infact bench sat for over 1/2 the comp.

Thought she was supposed to be back in the Tbirds fold after the ANZ, she may have been for 1-2 games, but is now gone for Emma Ryde.

Dehany from the Vixens another waste of a import, bench sits.  Bench sat for Jamaica at the WC as well.

And if the NZ comp starts in Feb like the UK one, and the SSN in late April again in 2020, expect the same thing to happen.

Hodges’ played well in the Stars win over the Steel in the 2019 Elimination Final. She was a development player, I thought she made the best of her chances with the Stars.

James

I think all the imports this year in ANZP didn’t set the world on fire even Potgeiter and I like how they’ve all gone and new imports have been contracted

Turningpoint

Yes. I remember how much time the bench players used to get before bonus points.

I think it is similar to now. One of the NZ WC winners spent many, many minutes on the Firebirds bench when she was Australian.

Love to see the stats on actual minutes pre SSN before I blame BP’s.

The win now mentality has seen non Australians used in the SSN in favour of the Australian up and comers.

Clearly coaches don’t see the upside in the longer term investment. Not at the moment anyway.

sarahlove

I actually agree with someone else’s comments here. She can’t have it both ways.

Also, NZ imports shouldn’t be taken as different to any others. Before winning the World Cup, I doubt it would have been a consideration.

If it’s purpose to be the best competition in the world, then it should have whoever the best players in the world are.

If it’s purpose is to grow Australian players, then it needs to be only Australian players, or a much tighter import rule/number.

If it’s purpose is to grow lower tier nations (“grow the game”), then nobody in the top *however many* should be imported.

James

I actually agree with someone else’s comments here. She can’t have it both ways.

Also, NZ imports shouldn’t be taken as different to any others. Before winning the World Cup, I doubt it would have been a consideration.

If it’s purpose to be the best competition in the world, then it should have whoever the best players in the world are.

If it’s purpose is to grow Australian players, then it needs to be only Australian players, or a much tighter import rule/number.

If it’s purpose is to grow lower tier nations (“grow the game”), then nobody in the top *however many* should be imported.

+1

NZ said from the beginning they were building future Silver Ferns and that’s why they kept the import cap to 1 per team in ANZP

SSN said from the beginning they wanted to be the best league in the world, in order for that to happen you need to have the best players in the world – if they’re Australian that’s great if not then so be it

As I mentioned earlier it’s the wasted import spots that annoy me when they very rarely get on caught but are taking the spot of an Aussie (Venter, Poi etc)

Woodsy

Yes,yes,yes get rid of those bonus points for each quarter. I think if a team loses by 3 or less they should get a bonus point. If your team is winning or losing by a lot throw on your bench players please

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.