Kiwis over Australians in Super Netball upsets Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander

Home Forum New Zealand Kiwis over Australians in Super Netball upsets Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander

This topic contains 31 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Jbss Aug 18, 2019 at 2:38 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Ian

This is a bit silly. There are more than enough Australians playing in the competition. Just choose the right ones please.

minkie

I agree with LA

Young ones are missing out

Ian

Rore was a good move for Swifts. I think Cullen was chosen just purely and simply because she was there in Sydney. But Poi was a funny one. They could easily have got a local player instead of her.

mcleod

Rore was a good move for Swifts. I think Cullen was chosen just purely and simply because she was there in Sydney. But Poi was a funny one. They could easily have got a local player instead of her.

They had a local player Rainbow wasn’t it.  She got all of 5 minutes before Poi joined.

Same thing needs to be asked as to why Van der Mere and Erin Burger were called in.  Surely those 2 spots could have gone to locals.

netballcrazy1

If LA is only keying in on the Kiwis who have joined the competition late this season then I think she is wrong. She said “What we don’t want to be doing is developing the next layer of talent for the Silver Ferns,”. But the truth is that Rore and Cullen aren’t the next layer of talent for the Ferns, they have been around for a while and one of them isn’t even playing matches with the Swifts. Poi is the only example of this statement. If she was reffering to imports as a whole, sure, but then this would be a little bit of a different conversation. In the end, this is hopefully a one off event with the INF hopefully declaring an official domestic season and the months for international events.

It is also really importnant to highlight that a lot of these decisions were made past the halfway mark of SSN, and bringing in young talent from an ever-growing gap between ANL and SSN is not a favoured move from clubs over bringing in an experienced player. For example, bringing in an ANL player who is going to have to gel with the team can be harder than bringing in an experienced and proven player, halfway through the season, especially for competetive teams.

Marrietta

I agree with LA

Young ones are missing out

Well she can’t have it both ways. What makes the SSN supposedly the ‘best netball competition in the world’ is the number of elite players from a range of countries all playing together in the various Australian franchises. Interesting ,that it is more of an issue for LA when a few NZ players are added to the teams . I take her point about blooding young players coming through, but it would seem the purpose of the super league is not to blood emerging players. Presumably that happens at levels below the SSN. As for the comments from some that having Noeline coach in the SSN gave her an advatage at the WC.. That is probably right to a certain extent- she has certainly learned that the Australian franchises have facilities that NZ teams could only dream of. Of course her coaching experience in Australia has been developmental for her. in the same way Megan Anderson – one of the Australian Diamond’s assisitant coaches learned a lot about the NZ  style of play ,and NZ players in her years playing,and then coaching in NZ.

netballcrazy1

Just to add to my last post: I think we have a great number of young players getting positions in these teams and court time too, it has increased a lot this year more would be wonderful but we need more teams for that and expansion is a whole other conversation. Also bringing in ANL players whose fitness and skill level is not up to standard mi-dseason may not be favoured by copetetive clubs.

mcleod

I must say Maria Folau has been very helpful in getting Sasha Glasgow to become a better player, so Lisa should be thankful for that.

Bluebird

The question she should be asking is why aren’t coaches emptying the bench onto the court when it’s obvious that the match is won? Ah yes, bonus points.

mcleod

The question she should be asking is why aren’t coaches emptying the bench onto the court when it’s obvious that the match is won? Ah yes, bonus points.

The bonus points do me head in.  How can the Magpies win by 6 goals on Monday and get 5 points, yet the game before that , the drew with the Tbirds and yet still got 5 points.

That is just very wrong.

netballcrazy1

I agree, a lot of the reasons associated with young talent not getting court time is to do with these bonus points. Get rid of them, we thrive, keep them, Channel 9 worries about blow out games.

Ian

This year was almost certainly a one off anyway, in that the competitions ran at such different times. That wouldn’t normally happen.

familjen

Last year it’s too many Roses, now it’s Silver Ferns :rolleyes:

James

Lisa is probably asked a question of “do you think there is too many Kiwi players in Super Netball” or something along those lines and she probably said yes same as last year when Roses won CWG, I doubt she went out looking for reporters to complain or even comment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.