GIANTS 2019

Home Forum Australia GIANTS 2019

This topic contains 131 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Dec 5, 2018 at 10:01 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Flb

Just for laughs. I told my husband (who likes the netball and knows a lot of the players, but occasionally gets confused) about CBass moving  to Giants.

Husband: “Doesn’t Jo Harten play GS as well”

Me: “yes, but she has been playing GA a lot this season and is pretty good there too”

Husband: “oooh yeah, they will be unstoppable”

Husband: “they will have to get Romelda to defend her”

Me:…..

Ian

Well, you could do worse.

Flb

Absolutely :)

montyb

The news of Bassett has got me reflecting a lot on Julie F’s coaching in recent years. For the record, I strongly believed she should have been given the ferns coaching job in 2015 over both Southby AND Taurua. However the last 2 seasons have got me wondering….

Where are the ‘young’ players Julie F used to be so good at bringing through….? Poolman has been a revelation, but i think the conditioning coach gets more credit for that….

Julie did great things with Manu’a and Price at Magic, but since then she has relied on the ‘tried and true’…. Where is the “antiss”, or “Jenner” or “Hodges” under her reign at Giants? Perhaps this modern, professional era is forcing coaches to buy talent rather than grow it, but i certainly don’t see the same qualities on display that i did a few years ago. I appreciate she’s a popular figure on here, and i love her myself, but i think Julie’s coaching in recent years reflects the change in approach at the top level of the game.

Jbss

Yes coaches seem more inclined to buy someone from overseas or another club than develop and invest in young talent. Julie Fitz is an amazing coach but I was hoping to see Austin given the start, hopefully we still see Parmenter or Tombs given a contract and Manu’a who may be going to Tbirds, Lightning or Magpies. In the interview about Basset she mentioned Austin quite a bit and maintained that she’d be given her opportunities too. I think young players are very much still in the mix. Hope Krissy Brice and Charlee Hodges push out one or two of the imports next year. Both players deserve a starting spot in Aus. I still think three to a team is a good limit because it means there is a max of 30 import positions meaning the best will still be able to play here but young players will get their opportunities.

Turningpoint

Yes. All good points.

I thought about it. As much as I love the Bass. I can’t see Julie F getting the best out C-Bass. Not to the extent that Noels did.

Julie F will also have her hands full raising Austin’s confidence and the confidence in any GWS pathway systems in place.

I feel that Harten is a player that instinctively demands the ball. She’s not a complete feeder. Whilst she subbed off for Pratts. I think she could have brought her into the game when she was on court and was losing a little confidence. Just an observation.

That type of play will affect C-Bass early in a game. She needs space opened and settler shots. Also, what if all those media roles affect her as well. Busy, busy, busy.

I’ve been wrong before. :dance:

AM_nettylover

Agree to above, also found it weird that poor Austin sat on the bench basically all season except the Tbirds games then in a prelim final was chucked into the mix… she did well and I think she’s going to be a superstar but how can you expect those connections to hold up in a prelim final when she hasn’t had enough court time to build… you could see the lack of experience and the lack of fluidity in the connection between Austin and Harten in that prelim final… I just thought it was a strange decision, she def is good enough to be in a prelim final but not without experience and court time so Fitzgerald should have given her more opportunities or otherwise stuck with pettit or Brice

Tully

How many years has Austin signed for?

Jbss

One i think?

Tully

Hopefully it is one year. Another year of development then move to a new club and start as GA in 2020.

Ian

thunder123

Do we know how long she has signed for?

NettySuperFan

Do we know how long she has signed for?

By the looks of that tweet, 1 year, but I haven’t heard anything confirmed yet

NettySuperFan

What about Msomi at C for Giants. Could definitely be an option as shes not too unfamiliar with the position. I dont think she would warrant as much money on her first year anyway, not as much as Guthrie anyway

Woodsy

Amy Paramenter has signed with the giants.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.