England's journey to netball Commonwealth Games gold

Home Forum United Kingdom England's journey to netball Commonwealth Games gold

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Nov 5, 2018 at 7:51 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ian

TheBroadbean

Still get goosebumps reading and thinking about this.

May never happen again but I’m still really proud that an English team delivered on what they have been saying for years.

Fluffy

Think it all goes back a long way, to when Nigel Holl was made performance director and really revamped the structures and training regimes.

I just hope that EN doesn’t sit back and think all is now sorted – we need the next generation, and the next generation – to keep pushing on…

Ian

May never happen again but I’m still really proud that an English team delivered on what they have been saying for years.

I was all prepared for England to have their big shot in 2019 at home, but they got there a year early. Still a sore point for me I must say. I can honestly say I can’t really remember a team playing any better than Australia played at the Commonwealth Games of 2018. But then they choked. The players and especially the coach. Well done to England for capitalising. Reckon it was important that they had a tough match the day before whereas Australia had walks in the park all the way through. That and the fact England actually knew what their best 7 was!

Fluffy

I was all prepared for England to have their big shot in 2019 at home, but they got there a year early. Still a sore point for me I must say. I can honestly say I can’t really remember a team playing any better than Australia played at the Commonwealth Games of 2018. But then they choked. The players and especially the coach. Well done to England for capitalising. Reckon it was important that they had a tough match the day before whereas Australia had walks in the park all the way through. That and the fact England actually knew what their best 7 was!

Don’t forget Tracey had a really strong game plan and was brave enough to take HH off to get her head straight, as well as removing Kadeen as soon as she could thereafter.

Yes Australia were playing well but they weren’t really challenged – anyone can look good playing in those situations.  England were clinical, for the first time I can remember, and kept their foot on the pedal.  My biggest worry is that they’ll go to WNC in Liverpool and will be hyped out of all expectation by Sky Sports and England Netball…the NGB’s done it before, in a desperate bid to protect the board’s jobs, and it backfired.  They need to keep a lid on expectation, and just work hard….I’m sure Tracey’s focused on that, but will Sky go crazy?  I’m worried!

Jinxibo

I agree Eng mustn’t sit back and their biggest danger at NWC 2019 will be themselves and hypering everything to the MAX !

I’m not sure TNev knows her best 7, i think she has a group of players she knows are at the same level as the Diamonds and Ferns. She’s got them playing very well and consistently together. Hence they do not panic if they are down on the scoreboard and were able to stay with the Diamonds in the final quarter and take full advantage when in the dying stages.

Ash72

I’m really worried that we don’t have that 4th shooter sorted. I think having Haythornthwaite come on if H&H need a breather or if we need a different dynamic in attack is working well for us. But I just don’t think we’ve got another strong option. I actually believe that Rachel Dunn is a better shooter than Corbin/ Clark/ Cardwell and that is a serious worry as she’s definitely past her best. I’m crossing fingers and toes and all other body parts that George Fisher has an epic season and elevates her game to the level needed to be an international GS; I believe it’s psychology rather than skill which is important here.

Jinxibo

I’m really worried that we don’t have that 4th shooter sorted. I think having Haythornthwaite come on if H&H need a breather or if we need a different dynamic in attack is working well for us. But I just don’t think we’ve got another strong option. I actually believe that Rachel Dunn is a better shooter than Corbin/ Clark/ Cardwell and that is a serious worry as she’s definitely past her best. I’m crossing fingers and toes and all other body parts that George Fisher has an epic season and elevates her game to the level needed to be an international GS; I believe it’s psychology rather than skill which is important here.

I think it could be Fisher. If she gets selected for the Uganda series then she may have a chance. I suspect HH and Cardwell maybe rested as they both had lots of tape on their knees.

Ian

It is Fisher. She should have been in the team for the Gold Coast! But there seems to be this fascination with Kadeen Corbin.

Ian

Jinxibo

It is Fisher. She should have been in the team for the Gold Coast! But there seems to be this fascination with Kadeen Corbin.

I don’t think she was ready for the Gold Coast. At Mavs she played GS and GA, she wasn’t the quickest but she was very very accurate. I was disappointed that she spent so much time on the bench at Wasps and similar to Dunn she stopped shooting from distance.

K Corbin offers pace, when she’s not sulking or being “showtime” :shout:   :shout:   :shout:

Ash72

In shooting it’s all about mental strength and I think Kadeen just doesn’t have the self belief needed (interestingly she had lots of determination and self belief when she played GK!).

I think Harten, Housby and Haythornthwaite all have that self belief , which means even when they’re having a wobble you know they can turn it around.

I think Fisher is almost there, she just needs a good coach and a few good performances under her belt to consolidate her natural ability.

I actually think that the chink in the Diamonds squad is also to do with psychology. In my opinion Caitlin Thwaites would be unstoppable if she was “allowed” to become a definite starting player. I think every time Lisa Alexander does things like taking her off after a quarter it eats away at her mentally and stops her becoming the player she could be. In comparison Tracey Neville has let Housby work through dodgy games and contributed to making Helen the player she is.

Sorry this is so waffly but I just really want Fisher to reach her full potential and would love Neville to back her!

TheBroadbean

Not at all, I love reading people’s opinions!

Personally I wouldn’t even have Corbin or Cardwell in the team.

I think there is definitely a starting 7 but then you need the bench players to be able to come on and make an impact straight away. With the shooting circle it’s a bit lacking.

I’m really glad Neville saw sense and took off Corbin in her 2 minute cameo in the CWG final. She fumbled the ball, I cringed and next minute she was off. Neville was clinical and knew she could not let the same thing happen again from the previous games that still haunts many an England Netball fan….!

I think maybe Corbin is aware of this and tries a bit too hard which usually results in many a turnover!

Pardalote

I actually think that the chink in the Diamonds squad is also to do with psychology. In my opinion Caitlin Thwaites would be unstoppable if she was “allowed” to become a definite starting player. I think every time Lisa Alexander does things like taking her off after a quarter it eats away at her mentally and stops her becoming the player she could be. In comparison Tracey Neville has let Housby work through dodgy games and contributed to making Helen the player she is.

Yep, very good point. In the CWG match I think the quality of the players from both teams was about even, but England had two advantages: 1) Nothing to lose and no expectation (outside of themselves, anyway); 2) a better coach, with a Plan B and C.

Ian

Geva. She’s the secret. If she’s not there, they don’t win that game or pretty much any other big game.

She’s the only GK that can really put pressure on BOTH Caitlins. And it was her pressure over 4 quarters that eventually told on Fowler in the semi, otherwise England wouldn’t have even made the final.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.