'Do you even know what you're doing?' male netball umpire reveals criticism

Home Forum United Kingdom 'Do you even know what you're doing?' male netball umpire reveals criticism

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rebound1977 Jul 12, 2019 at 9:37 am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Nimbostratus

I didn’t realise until I read this article that umpires are volunteers!? That’s ridiculous, we pay our mid week social umpires and our Saturday league games and that is so far below this level…… is this just for internationals? Surely the VNSL umpires are paid per game?

familjen

Correct. The travel expenses are typically covered but umpires are not paid for the games they’re on.

TrentA

No doubt he is a very well qualified and experienced Umpire. But best in the world based on those finals, when the reason he was officiating was because of the need to have impartial Umpires? IMO that rationale does him a disservice.

familjen

I think at the Comm Games last year it’s fair to say Burgess, Phippard, Henning, Bredin (!), McPhail, Armstrong-Lush and Stephenson were all pretty much equally excellent and the tournament as a whole was expertly officiated. (Aside from the screw up in sending off Kahatoka in the Fiji v Barbados game)

Ian

Sharon Kelly was undoubtedly the best umpire in the world and never did a single world cup final.

Ian

Rebound1977

I can’t say I really agree with or empathise with the comments in this article.

I don’t think that doing a few WC finals really puts Gary Burgess up anywhere near being the best umpire in the world.  I would rate most Australian and New Zealand umpires in SSN or ANZP as being better umpires than Gary Burgess.  And certainly he doesn’t have a patch on some of the brilliant former umpires such as Sharon Kelly, Jacqui Jashari, Nikki Boyd, Joan Hodson, etc.

Anyways, I think it’s a bit of a stretch making out he was at a disadvantage or treated badly because he is a bloke.  I have been a male umpire now for almost 15 years, and I can’t say I’ve ever had a comment like that asking if I was qualified because I was a man.  I have found a lot of players though who are pretty merciless towards umpires who aren’t very good at or don’t put any effort into what they are doing whether they are male or female.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.