Different national playing styles

Home Forum International Different national playing styles

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  familjen Jul 15, 2019 at 10:50 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HDav

After hearing Noeline Taurua on the segment with Cat Tuivaiti speak about the different Australian/New Zealand playing styles after coming to Sunshine Coast, and about to be immersed in 10 days of international world cup netball, I wondered if some of our contributors could point out some defining aspects of the different styles of netball played around the world.  For example, I know that NZ favours a zone defence, but Australia more one-on-one tight marking, but what denotes a Caribbean style?  Is there an Asian style developing? Do the African nations play yet another style?  What do you think contributes to the different styles (if anything)?  Is it coaches, or pathways available to young players, or a mixture of different things?

Jbss

Malawi play a possession based style similar to what Noeline is trying to do with NZ I think.

boogieya

Same Topic but different take on this subject

UMPIRES

my main concern about The Worlds this time round are the nations sending umpires who will struggle to keep pace with the ever increasing pace, the speed, the athleticism and the sheer physical development of the game over the last 4 years.

The New Zealand, English & Aussie ones will be OK and have had the experience of SSN, ANZ & Superleague week in week out but with only the occasional international games of the other nations HOW WILL the other nations umpires cope?

I have a ‘nasty gut’ feeling some matches will be decided on the UMPIRES take on the rules which will leave players floundering.

Especially if they are trying to umpire the top 5 nations

⚪️⚫️Fan

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🌹supporter

buckled in for an amazing 10 day ride

HDav

Interesting that you say that, boogieya.  Since posting the original question, I’ve listened to a couple of the podcasts by Sharelle McMahon and Bianca Chatfield, and apparently Diamonds defence training has been focusing on defending off the body to avoid the contact calls.  Also on playing 15 minutes without timeouts.  I highly recommend this podcast (The Inner Circle).

hiphop

Caribbean is really aerial with loads of high balls.

Malawi play a possession style game and I think all of the African players really put their body behind the ball and drive hard onto it. It is quite Australian in some ways just not as controlled.

Bluebird

Same Topic but different take on this subject

UMPIRES

my main concern about The Worlds this time round are the nations sending umpires who will struggle to keep pace with the ever increasing pace, the speed, the athleticism and the sheer physical development of the game over the last 4 years.

The New Zealand, English & Aussie ones will be OK and have had the experience of SSN, ANZ & Superleague week in week out but with only the occasional international games of the other nations HOW WILL the other nations umpires cope?

I have a ‘nasty gut’ feeling some matches will be decided on the UMPIRES take on the rules which will leave players floundering.

Especially if they are trying to umpire the top 5 nations

⚪️⚫️Fan

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🌹supporter

buckled in for an amazing 10 day ride

I don’t think you need to worry about the umpires. It’s a myth that all attending nations have to provide umpires.

familjen

There’s only 4 or so umpires not from Australia, New Zealand or England. The South African umpires have also improved remarkably as a result of the Quad. Which leaves basically the 2 from the Carribean + 1 from Singapore that will probably find the top line games tough, and even then, they’ve done a fairly solid job. I actually think Terrence Peart was on the money the other day with the “not set” calls and offensive contacts on Bassett, and I’d be pretty embarrassed if I were Australian the way many of the Australian fans have been hurling abuse in the crowd.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.