Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander wants Canberra Super Netball expansion

Home Forum Australia Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander wants Canberra Super Netball expansion

This topic contains 31 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Turningpoint Mar 3, 2019 at 7:09 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Jbss

I kind of agree with both sides. Obviously they would need financial backing and for governments to want to do that the teams would need interest and eventual success but I also think that having the team at the top level will get more players into the pathways and even if it isnt successful to begin with having the right coaches, staff, facilities and a high performance attitude will get them there eventually. Look at Fever who are just now seeing the fruits of success simply by sorting out their pathways for coaches and players and getting some community backing.

hiphop

Its all well and good talking about running teams on the scent of an oily rag but that only works when everyone else is in the same boat. There is no way a team like that could compete with the Giants or Collingwood in terms of resources. You will end up with another club with the issues Adelaide has had. Mismanagement has played a huge role in what happened with the Thunderbirds but there are things like limited access to massive sponsors, poor facilities and lack of career opportunities which have made it tough in the first place before management shot themselves in the foot time and time again.

NettySuperFan

Yes, this is exactly what I thought too. Tassie and NT would be great additions to the league, particularly since the new netball stadium has been built in Darwin. The comments about ACT, I think it would be better to leave the comp at 8 teams and just resituate the Giants in Canberra. Expanding the competition would certainly go towards giving more young Australians opportunities to break through into starting spots to prepare for Diamonds.

Ian

Canberra and Tassie is where the GWS & Gold Coast teams SHOULD have gone in the AFL.

I do think 10 teams is the optimum number for SSN. If for nothing else, so that we can at last get a decent length season. 14 rounds is too short. 18 would be great.

mcleod

When is the new TV deal due 2020??.  Am guessing that will a lot to do with it.

Ian

2021. Have to wait till then.

Tully

I think Canberra is the most logical choice from an infrastructure perspective and also travel (in terms of not only that team but all the other teams and media as well). I love Tasmania (my favourite Australian holiday destination) but direct flights are not that common especially from QLD (obviously a simple trip for the two Vic teams).

What about a far north qld team? They have made the NRL and basketball (men’s and women’s) work.

if we are going to consider Canberra then with the two Sydney teams that does put 3 teams in a small area. So why not Geelong? Certainly have produced their fair share of superstars over the years (McKinnis, Meaney, Browne, Robinson, Phillip, Mannix is from down that way as well). So 4 of those are current players plus youngsters like Allie Smith and Brooke Allan and they’d have a more than a decent team of local talent.

Jbss

I dont think the eastern states need an extra team. Canberra is in the ACT so it is justifiable. Once Tassie, Act and NT have teams then maybe Qld or Victoria would have enough depth for a third team but for the pathways to stay strong there needs to be a couple years for talent to develop instead of being thrust into a team to fill numbers. Most SSN teams have about four or five training partners and once you look past that most players below need a couple of ANL years. A team in Canberra is most viable compared to the NT and TAS due to the infrastructure atm. Obviously this all has to wait a couple of years anyway.

Tully

They need to be conscious of not diluting the product. I’d prefer a 10 team comp than 8 teams to broaden the comp and expand opportunities. But they need to be strategic about where those teams go. IMO Canberra, north QLD or Geelong are more viable options than NT or Tasmania. A third VIC team would be stronger from local talent only than a team from NT made of locals (obviously there would be imports but then that would mean VIC would not need to produce a third team from locals only either). NT have produced Karyn Bailey and ?? Tasmania Natasha Chokljat and ?? Yes Kelsie Rainbow is from Tasmania but she is no more SSN ready than the Geelong youngsters such as Allie Smith and Brooke Allan I mentioned (although if she is very lucky the Vixens May call her in to replace Honey given she retains a VIS scholarship). Yes Far North QLD have not produced a huge amount of talent either (Jenner and Koenen) however, have proven themselves capable of running an elite sporting team in multiple codes successfully.  Look how long it took WA to be Succesful.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Will top players move to the new teams?

familjen

How about creating a division 2, in which expansion teams from NZ can play in.  😛

netballcrazy1

I think in 2021, when we have the opportunity to expand, we shouldn’t put in a third vic team before trying a state without a team.

I think Victoria should really push more into the two teams they do have and we should offer a pathway (at least on a trial basis or some sort of temporary format) in a state without a team. whether that is ACT or TAS will really be up to a mixture of factors about not only players, but also logistics regarding travel. Personally, with the AIS in Canberra and a former team based there, I think it would be a great opportunity for them and if a second team is viable then either Tas or begin looking to add a third team into one of the states

davo

Bring back the Ravens!

mcleod

If you have more teams, it will make for a longer season, unless you do what the NZ comp does, and have 2-3 games in a week, 1 game a week doesn’t seem enough.

Plus with the 2022 Comm Games in July-early Aug, will that mean another break in the middle of the comp.

You now have the Women’s AFL comp going until end of March, that is most likely to expand to more teams.  So will more players want to play in both like Ash Brazill.

Getting the new TV deal sorted is the biggest hurdle, with so much female sport now in Aus, I was watching Soccer and AFL yesterday in NZ, a few weeks before that Cricket.

I guess those 3 sports are on Fox pay TV, but for some reason Netball isn’t shown on TV outside Australia.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.