Beth Cobden update

Home Forum Australia Beth Cobden update

This topic contains 40 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Fluffy May 17, 2019 at 10:44 pm.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ian

hiphop

There you go. Buying in to the hype about the SSN being the Saviour of World Netball.

It’s only in it’s 3rd season, and most of the imports in the SSN up until this year were English Roses. So, I’d say its done wonders for England.Many of the other Imports (with the exception of Pretorius and Aiken) have plied their trade in NZ and England before now. And lets not forget South Africa has had Norma Plummer as Head Coach for 4 years.

Lets give some credit as well to the VNSL and ANZC for the growth in World Netball. Since many of the imports now in the SSN started in those competitions.

Actually that argument counters what you are trying to say. English imports join the SSN and after just a couple of year are able to reach that top spot. The fact there is now a real third presence who will challenge for the top spot is completely a positive reflection on the SSN. Guthrie played in NZ for years but really made the huge improvements which lifted England to number one when playing at the Giants. Same could be said for Jo Harten.

I won’t give credit to the VNSL when the real English internationals do everything they can not to play in (remember when Geva was stood down by England for not playing domestic netball?) and where players who are potential bench warmers in SSN go and get a starting spot. The Lightning did an interview where they talked about both Peace and Mweni having to be eased into training on a special program because their English club training schedule was so far behind what would be expected in SSN. It is a second tier competition.

Back to the original discussion. The Tbirds currently have two relatively inexperienced South Australia mids. I can understand why if they are having injury concerns with Pitman as well that they would chose a more experienced international. Shimmin is great but is not a WD. These are not development teams. The Thunderbirds need to win more games this year than they did before.

netballcrazy1

Key word TEMPORARY replacement. They may still be looking outside of the club…

Surprised Blackman wasn’t elevated being at WD/GD but maybe they’re shifting the line up a bit

NettySuperFan

Key word TEMPORARY replacement. They may still be looking outside of the club…

Surprised Blackman wasn’t elevated being at WD/GD but maybe they’re shifting the line up a bit

Yep, I agree. I expect they are looking for a more permanent ‘temporary’ replacement player, and seeing the English has finished, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone from there come over.

Ash72

I won’t give credit to the VNSL when the real English internationals do everything they can not to play in (remember when Geva was stood down by England for not playing domestic netball?) and where players who are potential bench warmers in SSN go and get a starting spot. The Lightning did an interview where they talked about both Peace and Mweni having to be eased into training on a special program because their English club training schedule was so far behind what would be expected in SSN. It is a second tier competition.

I completely agree VNSL is not at the same level as SSN: the majority of the players are either students at universities or hold full time Jobs! Netball is not their main job! One of our best GA’s Kathryn Turner is a full time teacher and Rachel Dunn is a scientist! There is no way these players could devote any more time to training whilst having careers outside the sport. I regard it as a talent pool, where the best players are spotted and then offered deals in Australia to hone their talents. However, the standard is improving and players such as Guscoth and Cobden got to elite levels of play BEFORE they made the move to SSN…..

Ps if you did want a British replacement for Cobden then I’d recommend Amy Flanagan, who I think would meet the required level😊

Jbss

The only import I would like seeing in SSN is Van der merwe( I think that’s how you spell it) from South Africa.

Bluebird

VNSL is not 100% professional. They all have day jobs so of course the training schedule is different. But credit should be given to VNSL for giving players like Proscovia the opportunity to play and develop into world class players.

James

The only import I would like seeing in SSN is Van der merwe( I think that’s how you spell it) from South Africa.

She would be great in front of Guscoth and Sterling!

Jinxibo

I’d like to see Fi Toner but i’m not sure she’s at this standard. I’m sure she’d step up. Toner can cover GD, WD and C

Also l’d like to see Panagarry or Allison

madforit

Many of the other Imports (with the exception of Pretorius and Aiken) have plied their trade in NZ and England before now.

Small point… Pretorius actually did play in England. She played for Team Bath in the same season as Potgeiter – the one before SSN started I think.

Fluffy

I’d go with Nat Panagarry or Amy Flanagan, both of whom are in spectacular form.

But first, let me rage against people who’ve brought Beth back WAY too soon…eight months to recover from an ACL?  That’s madness.  GRRRRR.  :ireful:

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.