Beth Cobden update

Home Forum Australia Beth Cobden update

This topic contains 40 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Fluffy May 17, 2019 at 10:44 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    TrentA

Charlee Hodges will be available soon if they want to go that way.

Really annoyed that as soon as there’s an injury, people keep bringing up all these international names. Shimmin is too good a player to be bench warming. Between her, Sterling, Guscoth and Petty, surely they can mostly cover the back 3 positions. Defence isn’t really their problem.

I agree.

But it happens here as well. Look at Stars. Grace Kara announced her pregnancy and instead of promoting any one of many mid court players in the Beko League Stars went with a 40 something Temepara Bailey. Who, whilst she started the season with a hiss and a roar is now struggling to get through a full game. And whilst Bailey isn’t an import, she was retired and took the place of someone who could potentially be playing for many years to come and not just for one season.

But a positive example is Steel last year who replaced import Malysha Kelly with Beko League player Courtney Elliott. That was a huge success story.

It is a shame that people immediately look for Internationals as replacements. But that may be a result of the Beast that has been created. All the publicity around the Worlds Best Netballers playing in the Worlds Best Netball Competition. replace like for like. An import for an import.

NettySuperFan

Devastating for Beth and also for Tbirds and England

If I was Tbirds I’d try and get Sokolich-Beatson as WD cover. Shimming is not a WD

?? No one from NZ is going to play in Australia, unless they want to give up a shot at making World Cup.

jaybee

Presumably they’d wait until after the team is announced. I can’t see any reason why players who don’t get selected for the World Cup shouldn’t play the second half of the season in Australia as an injury replacement.

TrentA

Presumably they’d wait until after the team is announced. I can’t see any reason why players who don’t get selected for the World Cup shouldn’t play the second half of the season in Australia as an injury replacement.

But Sokolich-Beatson is still an import. The experience would be invaluable for her and I’m sure it would help immensely in her development as a player. But surely there is a player from one of the ANL teams that could step up to SSN level? Otherwise what is the ANL achieving?

Ian

But it happens here as well. Look at Stars. Grace Kara announced her pregnancy and instead of promoting any one of many mid court players in the Beko League Stars went with a 40 something Temepara Bailey. Who, whilst she started the season with a hiss and a roar is now struggling to get through a full game. And whilst Bailey isn’t an import, she was retired and took the place of someone who could potentially be playing for many years to come and not just for one season.

Remember when one of the journos and also one of the commentators (think it was Jenny-May) said that Bailey had to be picked for the World Cup. Thought it was silly at the time and it’s looking ridiculous now.

Don’t know the actual figures but surely the average age of the Stars team is way higher than any other, and interesting to note that they started the season really well, but the longer it’s gone on, the more they’re struggling.

EastWest

Devastating for Beth and also for Tbirds and England

If I was Tbirds I’d try and get Sokolich-Beatson as WD cover. Shimming is not a WD

?? No one from NZ is going to play in Australia, unless they want to give up a shot at making World Cup.

They have still met their obligation to play for an ANZP side.

minkie

Dont know legally when they can accept another contract. Mystics last game I think is this week.
    Sure SB could come over but remember she stills need to get granted exemption from NZN if she wants to be considered for Ferns (prehistoric stupid rule)

jabes

Isn’t the rule that they have to be signed with an ANZP club for 2019? So they have satisfied that rule…

GoSwifts

So has the exemption for ‘service’ to NZ netball gone out the window?  I thought Laura and Maria were granted the exemption because of the number of years and amount of tests they had played for NZ.  I am not saying it is right but it is a bit of a kick in the teeth to Laura in what she has had to do to be allowed back into the Silver Ferns fold if they are going to allow any NZ player to start playing in the SSN now that the ANZ comp has been completed.  I would have thought they would want the girls in NZ to be available for selections, team trainings and the like.  Last thing that the Ferns need is an injury to one of their marquee players for a couple of weeks playing in Adelaide.  That court/city has seen too many ACL injuries for my liking.

jaybee

Any player selected in the 20 wouldn’t be available obviously, but for those who just miss out an opportunity in the SSN would do them the world of good if one came up.

I fully expect after the Silver Ferns perform badly at the World Cup for more players to be allowed to play SSN.

mcleod

Any player selected in the 20 wouldn’t be available obviously, but for those who just miss out an opportunity in the SSN would do them the world of good if one came up.

I fully expect after the Silver Ferns perform badly at the World Cup for more players to be allowed to play SSN.

“You fully expect the Ferns to perform badly at the WC”.  Full of happiness aren’t you.  May as well not even send a team.

Lets just fill up the SSN with non Australian players, by all means Thunderbirds have 5 who can’t play for Aus, why not make it 6, 7, 8, hell 10.

What makes you think NZer’s actually want to play over there.  ??????????????????????????????????

mcleod

So has the exemption for ‘service’ to NZ netball gone out the window? I thought Laura and Maria were granted the exemption because of the number of years and amount of tests they had played for NZ. I am not saying it is right but it is a bit of a kick in the teeth to Laura in what she has had to do to be allowed back into the Silver Ferns fold if they are going to allow any NZ player to start playing in the SSN now that the ANZ comp has been completed. I would have thought they would want the girls in NZ to be available for selections, team trainings and the like. Last thing that the Ferns need is an injury to one of their marquee players for a couple of weeks playing in Adelaide. That court/city has seen too many ACL injuries for my liking.

I fully expect M Soc-B to be in the squad of 20, and is certainly pushing for a WC spot, she is a natural GD, not a WD.   Will have played 15 games in the ANZ, plus all the pre season, actually might want a bit of a break, if not in the WC team, I’m sure she will be in the All Stars they play 4 games end of June.

Tbirds can go and get a player from their own training squad.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

I hope they do promote from young Aus talent but I think Obst will want more experience at WD C

jaybee

“You fully expect the Ferns to perform badly at the WC”. Full of happiness aren’t you. May as well not even send a team.

Lets just fill up the SSN with non Australian players, by all means Thunderbirds have 5 who can’t play for Aus, why not make it 6, 7, 8, hell 10.

What makes you think NZer’s actually want to play over there. ??????????????????????????????????

I’ve just had my expectations ground down over the last few years. Let’s hope for a miracle.

And sure, I guess NZ players are happy to play in NZ, except for some who like Laura want to challenge themselves and move up to the next level.

The SSN filling up with imports I consider Australia’s problem, not ours, and it’s certainly done wonders for world netball.

TrentA

“You fully expect the Ferns to perform badly at the WC”. Full of happiness aren’t you. May as well not even send a team.

What makes you think NZer’s actually want to play over there. ??????????????????????????????????

I’ve just had my expectations ground down over the last few years. Let’s hope for a miracle.

And sure, I guess NZ players are happy to play in NZ, except for some who like Laura want to challenge themselves and move up to the next level.

The SSN filling up with imports I consider Australia’s problem, not ours, and it’s certainly done wonders for world netball.

There you go. Buying in to the hype about the SSN being the Saviour of World Netball.

It’s only in it’s 3rd season, and most of the imports in the SSN up until this year were English Roses. So, I’d say its done wonders for England. Many of the other Imports (with the exception of Pretorius and Aiken) have plied their trade in NZ and England before now. And lets not forget South Africa has had Norma Plummer as Head Coach for 4 years.

Lets give some credit as well to the VNSL and ANZC for the growth in World Netball. Since many of the imports now in the SSN started in those competitions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.