Bassett to miss Quad Series

Home Forum Australia Bassett to miss Quad Series

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Tully Jan 13, 2019 at 5:16 pm.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    netballcrazy1

netballcrazy1

Not ideal as the last international before the WC but Thwaites will have the opportunity to really step up and Kiera Austin will thrive in the environment and may even make her debut (unlikely with Wood and Tippett there though).

Nettynut

Terrible news.  I’m not looking forward to it like I was. This brings home that we have waaay too many import GS.

Jbss

Well it is quite obvious how little depth there is at GS and the common complaint has always been what happens if one of the Caitlins gets injured alot of people on fb seem to think Mehurst should’ve been brought in instead but it hardly solves the issue of having another GS.

Montyandpoppy

:-P Wouldn’t it be Tegan Philips who would be the most hard done by? Medhurst has never been in contention for international play if you listen to Lisa Alexander (between the lines 🤭) Phillips was always in the squad  at least….

TheBroadbean

Tegan Philip’s SSN form unfortunately doesn’t seem to translate over to international games!

Jinxibo

What no Cbass :cray:

This is sad news this but it makes the Quad Series more exciting IMO

netballnut

Such a shame for CBass, and I hope her recovery goes well.
    I’m a huge fan of Caitlin Thwaites, so I hope this means we will see her as the main shooter for the series.  It will also be interesting to see how Aus perform with the different attacking combinations – it might actually be a good thing for them in the long run being forced to do this.
    Ash72

This is Caitlin Thwaites golden moment of opportunity. I hope she embraces it and shows what she’s truly capable of: it’s a mental test more than anything….

Loz

Awful news. I may not watch with no CBass. Pity Stanton didn’t get on court last year. Not up to Diamonds but she is at least a GS. 😟

mcleod

Awful news. I may not watch with no CBass. Pity Stanton didn’t get on court last year. Not up to Diamonds but she is at least a GS. 😟

They will be fine, didn’t they beat the Ferns by about 20 this time last year, with no CBass, mind you there was no Langman, Kopua, Watson or Taurua.

Tully

Austin has played plenty of GS. Austin is not your typical flashy speedy GA. Quite effortless and efficient in her movement, very similar to Pettit. Austin is 185 cms so taller than Garbin and only 2 or 3 cms shorter than Stanton. All 3 were at fast  5 and Austin was clearly the best performing of the 3 there. It’s a shame she has stayed at Giants to sit behind Harten and Bassett. Maybe in 2020 she will move for court time.

i agree with the sentiment that imports have substantially impacted the pathways for the young Australian shooters coming through. Will be interesting to see what ATN, Stanton, Lange and Glasgow do with their SSN court time this year and Hodges in NZ. Garbin is there as well but can’t see her getting as much court time this year. Swifts didn’t have the same level as depth last year. If Housby went off the boil (up until last couple of rounds) they’d change Wallace for Garbin as they didn’t have a GA changeup. With Haythornthwaite now they do have that to either replace Housby or move Housby back to GS. There is a big opportunity if one or two of them steps up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.