Australian Netball World Youth Cup team announced

Home Forum Australia Australian Netball World Youth Cup team announced

This topic contains 36 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Ian Ian May 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    IanIan
    • As old as the furniture

. http://netball.com.au/australian-netball-world-youth-cup-team-announced/

2017 World Youth Cup Team

Anstiss, Jessica – WA – West Coast Fever
    Austin, Kiera – NSW – Giants Netball
    Eddy ,Kate – VIC – Melbourne Vixens
    Garrett, Matilda – VIC – Collingwood Magpies
    Glasgow, Sasha – SA – Adelaide Thunderbirds
    Hinchliffe, Tara – QLD – Queensland Firebirds
    O’Brien, Claire – NSW – NSW Swifts
    O’Shannassy, Teigan – NSW – Giants Netball
    * Petty, Hannah – SA – Adelaide Thunderbirds
    Price, Jamie-Lee – NSW – Giants Netball
    Ryde, Emma – VIC – Melbourne Vixens
    Teague-Neeld, Alice – VIC – Collingwood Magpies

*Subject to netball medical clearance

2017 World Youth Cup Reserves

Garbin, Sophie – WA – West Coast Fever
    Jenner, Kimberley – QLD – Queensland Firebirds
    Mi Mi, Jemma – QLD – Queensland Firebirds

Foryoutwoforyoutwo
    • Regular

Interesting how different people view players, Jenner is a shadow yet has been getting court time at super netball and Hinchliffe is a training partner at super netball but has made the team. They are both great players, just thought this was interesting.

Thunder123thunder123
    • Regular

Do we have a list of players who missed out ?

VivantVivant
    • Netaholic

Agree foryoutwo. Hard to believe Jenner has not made the team based on what we gave seen this season. No Latu-Meafou or Lee-Jones either.

Matilda Garrett has done well to make the team at just 18 years old.

IanIan
    • As old as the furniture

Interesting how different people view players, Jenner is a shadow yet has been getting court time at super netball and Hinchliffe is a training partner at super netball but has made the team. They are both great players, just thought this was interesting.

Yeah, I know, It surprises me every time one of these selections come up. It’s almost like the national coach & selectors are saying to the Firebirds coach & selectors, “you don’t know what you’re doing!” But I know it’s not as simple as that of course. There are different reasons that certain players make it and some don’t. Must admit I am surprised Jenner didn’t make the 12.

Netballcrazy1netballcrazy1
    • Regular

Yeah can we have a list of who missed out or who had a chance. Ineteresting that Teague-Neeld is in and Mi Mi isn’t

CorryCorry
    • Regular

Interesting … you can fit a few on court that have had significant SSN (or ANZC for Petty) court time in midcourt and shooting circle, but I can’t spot any defenders in the 12 with top level experience.

Glasgow, Sasha
    Teague-Neeld, Alice
    Anstiss, Jessica
    * Petty, Hannah/O’Brien, Claire
    Price, Jamie-Lee
    GD?
    GK?

VivantVivant
    • Netaholic

Indeed Corry – the circle defenders picked are Garrett, O’Shannassy, Eddy and Hinchcliffe. Eddy has been named on the Vixens bench a few times this year but I don’t recall any of those players actually getting game time in SSN or ANZC

VivantVivant
    • Netaholic

Amandalouiseamandalouise
    • Regular

Gosh, ive really liked watching latu-meafou, sad she didn’t make the cut

TBTB
    • Regular

Hasnt Petty been out injured all season?

BrigBrig
    • Regular

Yes, but I think that Eddy would get more SSNL game time if she was not sitting behind 2 defenders who are having a marvellous season- she looked great at the preseason playing for vixens.
    So tough to make these selections!

So some players like Cook and Rainbow were cut from the squad for that 14 players named in the post above.

For this 12 plus 3 reserves,
    Defenders: Lee-Jones, Anderson and Ellis are out, O’Shannassy, Hinchcliffe and Jenner in
    Midcourt: no change?
    Shooters: Gooden out, Austin in, Garbin to reserve
    (Or could be wrong- I haven’t seen many of these players)

So some fierce competition in the defenders and looks like the Giants program has been a good one for O’Shannassy and Austin coming from outside that selected 14, and outside that wider squad of 20 named last year too.

Hiphophiphop
    • Regular

Yes. I spoke to one of the Thunderbirds girls a few weeks ago about it and they said that Hannah probably wouldn’t play in the Suncorp league this season and they are being really careful with her recovery with the goal of getting her right rather than rushing her back which is nice in this day of do or die sports. Their goal was always to get her right for this competition. Apparently she was amazing on the last under 21 tour at the start of the year.

Do they both play the same position? The defense end seems in experienced.

They seem to have picked a side that allows them to match up against their opposition. O’Brien is a nippy WA, Price is the physical WD and then Petty who is a stronger bodied C/WA and Anstiss who can play a cleaner game in defence. The same could be said in the shooting end. You have Ryde as the massive option under the post or Glasgow who can get on the move at GS. ATN is your zippy GA while Austin is a taller and bigger bodied GA option.

BrigBrig
    • Regular

Biggest movement in the squad from the defenders. Lee Jones, Anderson, Ellis out, O’Shannessy, Hinchcliffe and Jenner in.

Giants program must be going well with Austin and O’Shannessy making the team, they were not in the wider squad last year, or the 14 on the website.

BrigBrig
    • Regular

Matilda Garrett has done well to make the team at just 18 years old.

From the Giant’s pages, I see that O’Shannessy just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago as well. yikes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.