Australian Netball Awards 2018

Home Forum Australia Australian Netball Awards 2018

This topic contains 54 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  jabes Dec 13, 2018 at 9:26 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Exactly, so if an import wins the SSN MVP, it just makes sense to present the award after the GF so they can actually receive it! Saturday night was the “Australian Netball Awards”. Nothing against her, but Jhaniele Fowler of Jamaica should not be winning an award on such an occasion, especially when she’s not there to collect it!

Ian

Tully

Poor planning perhaps, but Jess is on holiday in NZ.

While I agree there could be some awards presented during/at the immediate completion of the SSN, each team would be allocated a certain amount of tickets and I guess it comes down to who is available aside from actual capped Diamonds. As far as SSN goes, the imports have contributed to the success of SSN and Netball Australia as a whole in the past two seasons and should have the opportunity to celebrate as much as any other player.

This wasn’t the SSN awards. It was the Netball Australia awards. So I disagree that Francis should have been there. Charles? Eagland? Surely there were others available.

schmeetle

The Herald Sun this morning had 19 pages of “sport” coverage.

By accident I found a tiny 71 word article on the Netball Australia Awards… in the social pages. :Gigakach:

Luvpav

I just noticed the reserves for Team of the Year.

Jo Harten, Kim Green, Laura Geitz.

So no Caitlin Bassett or Courtney Bruce or Ash Brazill.  Weird!

Hobson

By accident I found a tiny 71 word article on the Netball Australia Awards… in the social pages. :Gigakach:

The Herald Sun already covered the story on Sunday.

schmeetle

The Herald Sun already covered the story on Sunday.

Ta for that!!

I don’t usually read the Herald Sun, just came across it while waiting in a cafe.  I’ll see if their coverage is online and hopefully not behind paywall.  Then I can check my misplaced outrage  :blush2:

Tully

They do need to look at how they coordinate tickets though. Vixens used their allocation to Watson, Weston, Mannix and Moloney (which makes sense) however, that means Thwaites wasn’t there. Surely regardless of club all Diamonds should be there? Especially when Francis, Stanton and Nevins are there. Would have been nice for Thwaites to celebrate the year with her aussie teammates.

sevm

Why aren’t all Diamonds squad members given a ticket? then a smaller allocation is given to SSN netball clubs?

jabes

I’m sure I saw Thwaites in some of the photos.

netballcrazy1

Isn’t the whole team allowed to go? And yes Thwaites was there I think.

Tully

No, it depends on allocation.

are you sure Thwaites was there? She was at the VIS awards…

jabes

I just looked at a heap of people’s instagram posts, and she wasn’t in any of them, but I’m pretty sure I saw her in the background of instragram stories on the night. She was wearing a light blue top.

Ian

I just noticed the reserves for Team of the Year.

Jo Harten, Kim Green, Laura Geitz.

So no Caitlin Bassett or Courtney Bruce or Ash Brazill. Weird!

You see those match MVPs they announce after each game. Those players are the 3 vote winners for those games. The same judges also give 2 & 1 votes and all of the votes are added up to give us the SSN MVP. That was Fowler.

Now… as far as I know, those votes were also used to choose the team of the year. Firstly they go from GS to GK to see who got the most votes for each position. So Fowler most votes for a GS, Tippett most votes for a GA, Watson most votes for a WA etc etc. THEN for the 3 reserves, they look at all the remaining players and pick out the shooter, midcourter and defender with the highest number of votes. And obviously that was Harten, Green & Geitz.

Ian

By the way, what I just said about the team of the year… I do not know that for absolute certain because as far as I know they’ve never announced how they pick it. But that is what I’ve been able to deduce/ascertain/guess from all the voting.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.