Air Should Be Cleared If Folau Plays For Ferns

Home Forum New Zealand Air Should Be Cleared If Folau Plays For Ferns

This topic contains 49 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Ian May 15, 2019 at 3:53 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Baller

NT has already said she is choosing the team based on fitness, stats and mental attitude. I’m going to assume NT will not choose Folua if she falls short of the ‘attitude’ aspect in her game. No rotten apples from any of our players. I would expect the same from her Aus team. Looking forward to seeing the Aus comp today.

mcleod

NT has already said she is choosing the team based on fitness, stats and mental attitude. I’m going to assume NT will not choose Folua if she falls short of the ‘attitude’ aspect in her game. No rotten apples from any of our players. I would expect the same from her Aus team. Looking forward to seeing the Aus comp today.

Yes I got the feeling in NT’s interview after the Pulse v Magic game, that Maria is not a certain in the Ferns.  Maria has hardly played any Netball since January, she missed the pre season comp, as was handing out the trophy at the Auckland horse Cup, then just a day after hubby makes his social media comments, she is seen having a cuppa with him and Rugby players reps.  Maybe the spine of 6 is now a spine of 5.

Nesian

Agreed, I thought when Nolene was going on about personalities and how they mix it was possibly referring to Maria.

minkie

Don’t know about the present

But I can’t help wondering just what was wrong in the CGames camp apart from the obvious with JS.  I always got the feeling there was unrest amongst the players.

Knew when Izzy opened his gob the second time that Maria would be affected somehow.  Her lack of training/playing pre comp is a massive worry in a new team/country.

NZChampion

Yep I hope she is taking that situation into consideration. I don’t want the Silverferns to carry that mess to Liverpool. But more importantly her form throughout the SSN. I just hope she plays some good netball, don’t say anything and Folau should be good to go.

Marrietta

I would like to know what “clearing the air” would look like to @Ravmarie16. Does she expect Maria to make a public statement saying she does not share her husband’s views in any way.? If so will she require the same sort of scrutiny to be applied to all players likely to be eligible for the Silver Ferns, and other representative teams. ?Her comment of “guilt by association” I find concerning, and a slippery slope.Mcleod’s comments re Maria having the effrontery to have breakfast with her husband and the ARA players’ representative in a public place, and Baller’s comments re “attitude” and “rotten apples” are in my opinion representative of that slippery slope, and suggestive of their discrimination. NNZ cannot chose players to represent NZ on the basis of their personal attitudes or views. They CAN expect players to adequately represent the Code of Conduct of their organisation. I am not aware that Maria , as a Silver Fern has ever breached this expectation. !Australian rugby’s dispute with Israel Folau is over his apparent breach of his contract with THEM, and THEIR players’ Code of Conduct. They are very aware of his beliefs, and that in a “free” society he is entitled to these beliefs. If they are serious about “inclusiveness” and “diversity” they must also accept that Israel’s views and others with similar views are part of that diversity. Their problem is in the management of those players,and those views. Especially if the views might be seen to border on being being discriminatory, and hateful.Clearly they have not been successful at “managing” Israel Folau.

Maria Folau is a New Zealander whose sporting career is with Netball New Zealand, not the ARA. Unless she in some way breaches her contract with NNZ in my opinion she has nothing to answer for, and deserves to be treated with the respect we should accord to all of our representative sports people.

Jbss

Yes in the article which was posted in the Australia thread about Braz this is touched on and Maria apparently sent her congratulations after Brazils wedding and liked her wedding posts, not that it proves she doesn’t have any negative opinions but we can’t just assume the worst either.

Pardalote

Well said, Marietta. I do not for one moment agree with Folau’s views or his self righteous and insensitive method of declaring them, and I fear the hurt he has done to teenagers who might hero worship him. He has undoubtedly broken his contract with the ARU, which is specific about social media behaviour, but unless NNZ has a clause in their contract which says that players cannot marry or keep company with people who say hurtful and inadvisable things on social media – which is a slippery slope, as Marietta says, and totally unenforceable – then Maria has done nothing wrong. It is her behaviour off court and her play on it that matters.

Kat

Well said, Marietta. I do not for one moment agree with Folau’s views or his self righteous and insensitive method of declaring them, and I fear the hurt he has done to teenagers who might hero worship him. He has undoubtedly broken his contract with the ARU, which is specific about social media behaviour, but unless NNZ has a clause in their contract which says that players cannot marry or keep company with people who say hurtful and inadvisable things on social media – which is a slippery slope, as Marietta says, and totally unenforceable – then Maria has done nothing wrong. It is her behaviour off court and her play on it that matters.

I totally agree with Marietta and Pardalote.

NZChampion

That all depends on what she says from here on out, on social media. That’s crucial to a possible axing from NNZ. If Maria just plays netball, shoots the lights, flicks her hair and remains silent. She’s going to WCs period.

JR

Me too. Thanks for calling out that comment about ‘breakfast in a public place’. Sheesh.

And about flicking her hair. There are many players who play with/fix their hair whilst playing. Are you going to call them out too?

mcleod

Me too. Thanks for calling out that comment about ‘breakfast in a public place’. Sheesh.

And about flicking her hair. There are many players who play with/fix their hair whilst playing. Are you going to call them out too?

Freedom of speech, I actually don’t think Maria flicks her hair that much.

NZChampion

That wasn’t an insult. She’s done it since day dot.

mcleod

That wasn’t an insult. She’s done it since day dot.

Bra re arranging is her normal thing after a goal is scored.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Air Should Be Cleared If Folau Plays For Ferns’ is closed to new replies.