ADELAIDE THUNDERBIRDS 2019

Home Forum Australia ADELAIDE THUNDERBIRDS 2019

This topic contains 309 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Mar 26, 2019 at 11:09 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Any updates on Beth Cobdens knee? Will she be available for England for the World Cup?

You’d have to think so. I must admit when Tbirds signed her, I thought it was another Tuivaiti situation and they had signed a player who would hardly play a game, but no, apparently she will be fit and ready to go round 1.

TheBroadbean

I think the thing with Beth is she has had this before so she knows what to expect.

She was straight in the rehab full time and was monitered by EN.

thunder123

The Adelaide Thunderbirds have shown their commitment to developing South Australian netballers announcing four local talents as the club’s 2019 Training Partners.

The investment in South Australia’s up-and-comers has been further bolstered with the introduction of Adelaide Thunderbirds Pathway Athletes, a new program involving five players.

Charlee Hodges and Chelsea Blackman return as Training Partners, with Nyah Allen and Maisie Nankivell new faces at the club.

Hodges, who was a replacement player for the Adelaide Thunderbirds during the 2018 Suncorp Super Netball (SSN) season, will reconnect with the club following the completion of the Northern Stars’ 2019 ANZ Premiership season.

Adelaide Thunderbirds Head Coach Tania Obst said all four athletes are great examples of the talent developed through the Netball SA pathways.

“We are committed to developing these talented South Australian athletes and I am very excited to see them flourish in our elite training environment,” she said.

“The club is fully supportive of Charlee playing for the Stars and we see this as a great opportunity for her to continue her development.

“This is Chelsea’s second year in the Adelaide Thunderbirds environment and she has hit the ground running. This pre-season her game has already made great progress, which is very exciting to watch.

“Maisie is a hard-working mid-courter and her performances for the 2018 19/U state team, Southern Force and Matrics Premier League side have been rewarded with a Training Partner contract.

“At 16, Nyah formed a formidable shooting partnership with former Adelaide Thunderbird Carla Borrego for Garville’s 2018 Premier League team. She’s an exciting young shooting talent who will greatly benefit from being involved in our program.”

For the 2019 season, the club has introduced its Pathway program, which sees five South Australians – Emily Burgess, Tayla Williams, Georgie Horjus, Asha Thurlow and Chelsea Lemke – named Adelaide Thunderbirds Pathway Athletes.

Adelaide Thunderbirds General Manager Melody Cooper said the Pathway Athletes will be exposed to the club’s high-performance environment on an invitational basis to participate in certain aspects of the program.

“The opportunity for these young, up and coming players to be coached by Tania and our staff and train alongside the Adelaide Thunderbirds players will provide the Pathway Athletes an invaluable insight into an elite netball club,” she said.

“We see these athletes as future players for our club and are dedicated to investing in nurturing and progressing their talent.”

The Adelaide Thunderbirds 2019 season will begin on 28 April against West Coast Fever at Priceline Stadium. Memberships are now on sale.

Training Partner player details

Nyah Allen

D.O.B: 7/03/2002

Height: 183cm

Positions: GA, GS

Chelsea Blackman

D.O.B: 29/09/2000

Height: 185cm

Positions: GD, WD

Charlee Hodges

D.O.B: 17/09/1997

Height: 179cm

Positions: GA, GS

Maisie Nankivell

D.O.B: 29/09/1999

Height: 175cm

Positions: C, WA

hiphop

It is so weird that Charlee is a Tbirds training partner but playing in New Zealand. It is also weird that the Thunderbirds haven’t either realised people think that is strange or they realise and haven’t answered it.

Maisie is a great signing. She is a really natural talent and when I watched her last year I thought she had plateaued a bit. Hopefully this opportunity will allow her to take another massive step forward.

Chelsea Blackman didn’t make it on court in Contax’s premier league grand final win last year. You can read into that what you will.

I would rather have seen Georgia Horjus as a training partner rather than Nyah Allen. She was very exciting all of last year and was the league rookie of the year.

Other than Charlee who is in NZ, I would be so worried if the Thunderbirds have an injury and had to rely on one of those three players. Charlee and Gia playing over seas has exposed a lack of depth in SA netball with so many other players playing interstate.

Chelsea Lemke is a really really weird pick. She has played at ANZC with the Firebirds and was a training partner with the Thunderbirds last year before being dropped down a step again to now being a “pathway athlete”. She would now be in her mid 20s – she isn’t a “young and up and coming” player. If the Tbirds genuinely think she is on her way to selection, then pick her as a training partner. If not then give the pathway athlete spot to an actual up and coming player. Same with Emily Burgess.

Turningpoint

A number of positives for SA Netball.

I hope it takes them to where they want to be. :mafia:

Ian

JR

Why is there a photo of Gretel in that post by Adelaide Thunderbirds?

Edit – ok, got it now having read some other threads.

hiphop

It still wouldn’t have been hard to use a photo of a Thunderbird instead.

Ian

Bluebird

Maybe it’s a way of keeping Hodges in the fold to come back next season? I assume Folau will retire after the WC.

Cath

It wouldn’t surprise me if Folau only plays the first half of the season then retires immediately after the World Cup…then Hodges can step up.

mcleod

It wouldn’t surprise me if Folau only plays the first half of the season then retires immediately after the World Cup…then Hodges can step up.

That could well be the reason that no other team wanted her.  But could be totally wrong.

netballcrazy1

That could well be the reason that no other team wanted her. But could be totally wrong.

Wouldn’t the NZ seasons till be going a bit after the WC? or is it over before

Maryann

That could well be the reason that no other team wanted her. But could be totally wrong.

Starts in 2 weeks and finishes before WC

mcleod

Nope starts 24th Feb finishes 2nd June.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 310 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.