2019 WORLD CUP FINAL – AUSTRALIA v NEW ZEALAND

Home Forum International 2019 WORLD CUP FINAL – AUSTRALIA v NEW ZEALAND

This topic contains 536 replies, has 75 voices, and was last updated by  TB Aug 16, 2019 at 4:41 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 537 total)
  • Author
    Ash72

Something to ponder…… Australia have not won a gold medal since Medhurst was dropped.

Medhurst was on court for all of Australia’ past gold medal matches (1 CWG 2014 & 3 NWC 2007,2011,2015 )

Who needs experience though :rolleyes:

Totally agree.

I’m all for bringing new players through but as Tamsin says you need experience in those big games: I think that the connection between Medhurst and Basset was a match winning formula and had a few more years left in it.

Turningpoint

So in that Semi Final. England lost because NZ had more experience.

Fair enough.

Ash72

So in that Semi Final. England lost because NZ had more experience.

Fair enough.

It’s an interesting one isn’t it:

I would say the Ferns team who beat us in that semi final certainly had more experience at winning big games….despite us winning the previous few games; those players knew how to beat us and believed they could do it.

It’s like netball chemistry: a few bits of fossil, a spoonful of self belief and a drop of Noels etc etc😊

Turningpoint

We could have used a bit of Mary.

TP is having a break. I’m over commenting and taking a break.

I’ll be back 1st week of the finals in SSN.

:ok:

Ash72

We could have used a bit of Mary.

TP is having a break. I’m over commenting and taking a break.

I’ll be back 1st week of the finals in SSN.

:ok:

Hahaha enjoy the break: look forward to your return 😊

TrentA

Only twice? I have watched it 3 to 4 times…..

Bassett isn’t a captain. Bloody great GS but isn’t captain material.
    Browne wasn’t THAT bad, I think the major issue was Watson having to play C because there was no one else. Watson is the world’s best WA!
    The decision to keep Klau on for the 4th quarter also was a stupid move. Klau is talented but had 2 cautions from the umpires.

Next time will be my 5th…..

One of those times was Monday night with my netty mate in Perth. Synced our recordings and watched together as she had only seen last 5 minutes live. What was interesting was her commenting on things I had already seen and how similar our thoughts were about players/actions/plays. Of course I had Jenny and Dan commentating, she had Liz and Cath.

I also have to mention here that I watched the Suncorp Netball Show last night with Will and Cath and they started by reviewing the WC Final. Cath said she was in tears at the end for the Silver Ferns. So happy on how far they had come from last year.

Ian

I have never understood this. Watching a game over and over and over again just because your team won it. Don’t get that at all. I can understand watching just the last minute or two over again, but not the whole game. Do you fast forward through the bits where they’re not going so well? Like when they were down 8-4 in the first Q, do you just skip through that bit to get to the good parts? I’ve just never got the fascination with watching a whole game over and over repeatedly just because your team won. :dontknow:

jaimie

Cant explain it Ian. It might also have something to do with a severe lack of decent TV watching here in the Cooks. We certainly cant Netflix and chill. My sports re-watching isnt just netball, i am a repeat offender across other sports as well!

TrentA

I have never understood this. Watching a game over and over and over again just because your team won it. Don’t get that at all. I can understand watching just the last minute or two over again, but not the whole game. Do you fast forward through the bits where they’re not going so well? Like when they were down 8-4 in the first Q, do you just skip through that bit to get to the good parts? I’ve just never got the fascination with watching a whole game over and over repeatedly just because your team won. :dontknow:

Any I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to watch  it over and over and over.

Maybe if we had won the World Cup 11 times we’d be like – oh another one, ok. What’s next?

But it’s been 16 years and some real heartbreak.

So how about some slack and let us enjoy the moment.

:wavemulticolour:

minkie

Yep agree with Trent

Personally I wouldn’t have the time to watch watch watch.

But given it’s taken so many years, let supporters enjoy without criticizing.

😊

Ian

I’m not criticising. I just don’t understand it. Even if Australia had won, I would have just watched it the once, live. That’s it. I don’t see the point in watching it any more than that.

This year, I think it was around the anniversary of the Comm Games and the BBC put the final online for a week or something. And all the poms that said they just kept watching it for the whole week over and over again. Okay, I know it was BIG, and I can certainly understand wanting to watch the winning moment over and over again, but not the whole damn game! 😮

NZChampion

Ooh I have watched too many times, from beginning to end. Both the semi and the final lol. I watch it before going to sleep. Maybe just the winning moment in the mornings! 😁 I cry when Langman starts clapping after receiving her gold medal! Then dancing to that song that was playing, which is now forever Langmans song lol.

For example in my Skybox I have all winning games that Silverferns have won against Aus since 2016. I think I can count on one hand how many matches that was. 😳 Yes I still refer back to those games lol. Especially in the dark times like last year and wonder what went wrong. 🙄😅

But I definitely watch winning games repeatedly and I never get sick of them. All losing games are deleted promptly. 😭

mcleod

I’m not criticising. I just don’t understand it. Even if Australia had won, I would have just watched it the once, live. That’s it. I don’t see the point in watching it any more than that.

This year, I think it was around the anniversary of the Comm Games and the BBC put the final online for a week or something. And all the poms that said they just kept watching it for the whole week over and over again. Okay, I know it was BIG, and I can certainly understand wanting to watch the winning moment over and over again, but not the whole damn game! 😮

NZ haven’t won it since 2003, nobody expected them to win in 2019.  I have seen the final twice, and I didn’t watch it live.

It’s on my sky box as well, and won’t be deleting it either.

JR

I have the recording of the Final still on my Foxtel IQ box and have contemplated watching it – from the start, all the way through. Mostly to digest the comments on this thread, all the other threads about the game, all the articles that’ve been posted……

Jedwa

😉  A world champion team deserves world champion viewers!

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 537 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.