2019 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL

Home Forum Australia 2019 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL

This topic contains 67 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Mar 14, 2019 at 10:59 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Ian

So… Jo Weston and Kath Harby-Williams are representing the players. Of the other 7 people considering possible changes to the biggest women’s sporting competition in Australia, 6 of them are men.

hiphop

If you remove the gender and look at the roles and where they are from, then they are the best placed person to be on this committee. This committee shouldn’t be knocked for selecting men but rather the state associations and NA for not promoting women into executive positions.

Jbss

I’m sure these men haven’t just been put in without qualifications and it is nice to see men included in netball but it’s sad to me that even in one of the only female dominated sports women aren’t at the top in those executive positions.

Ian

Check out this thread by Megan Maurice…

mcleod

<script async=”” src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Interesting article, and I find it odd and rather sad that a female comp, is run by mostly men.  I wonder what rule changes will be forced on the players, a week out from the 1st game.

Moneypenny

I’m also interested in the fact that a committee spending a third of its time on rules doesn’t have any umpiring representation…

netballcrazy1

I’m also interested in the fact that a committee spending a third of its time on rules doesn’t have any umpiring representation…

Good point MP, it would be good to have some umpire representation.

hiphop

<script async=”” src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Interesting article, and I find it odd and rather sad that a female comp, is run by mostly men. I wonder what rule changes will be forced on the players, a week out from the 1st game.

There are plenty of female executives at Collingwood and Sunshine Coast who aren’t on this committee. There are no doubt several committees which have large female representation. I also think it is not right to assume that because there are men that they will ignore the wants of netball fans and “force” crazy ideas onto the players. I also think it is unfair to think that just because there are majority male voices that KHW and Jo Weston are there as window dressing and don’t have massive sway on the outcomes of this group.

Moneypenny that is an excellent point. We talk about representation but there is no one representing the officials.

Ian

Pardalote

There are plenty of female executives at Collingwood and Sunshine Coast who aren’t on this committee. There are no doubt several committees which have large female representation. I also think it is not right to assume that because there are men that they will ignore the wants of netball fans and “force” crazy ideas onto the players. I also think it is unfair to think that just because there are majority male voices that KHW and Jo Weston are there as window dressing and don’t have massive sway on the outcomes of this group.

Can’t agree. Megan Maurice’s twitter takedown is brilliant and comprehensive, and enlightening. Let alone the point about no umpire involvement

Ian

Yeah, like how there are numerous separate departments/roles at NA that could have been used here, and they have (just by pure coincidence of course) decided to include only 4 of them that are run by blokes.

Rebound1977

I tend to agree with the earlier point about the positions of the committee participants as the ones that are best placed for the role.

I think it is largely irrelevant that a lot of them are men assuming that everyone who was eligible for and applied for those positions went through an equal and fair selection process.  Would anyone be questioning it if the panel were all female?  I wouldn’t.  I do concede that there is some imbalance and inconsistency though – any major committees in male-dominated sports I think you would find that the numbers of females with roles would be very low so I think this may be indicative of an equality issue in other sports rather than one in netball.

Very much agree with the comment about the absence of a representative for the officials.  A missing element I think.

Ian

Ian

Ian

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.