2019 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL

Home Forum Australia 2019 SUNCORP SUPER NETBALL

This topic contains 28 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Dec 5, 2018 at 4:20 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Ian

Fever
    Jess Anstiss
    Courtney Bruce
    Verity Charles
    Ingrid Colyer
    Shannon Eagland
    Jhaniele Fowler (Jam)
    Stacey Francis (Eng)
    Olivia Lewis
    Kaylia Stanton
    Alice Teague-Neeld
    Coach: Stacey Marinkovich

Firebirds
    Romelda Aiken (Jam)
    Mahalia Cassidy
    Laura Clemesha
    Tippah Dwan
    Kim Jenner
    Tara Hinchliffe
    Jemma Mi Mi
    Caitlin Nevins
    Gabi Simpson
    Gretel Tippett
    Coach: Roselee Jencke

Giants
    Kiera Austin
    Caitlin Bassett
    Kim Green
    Jo Harten (Eng)
    Kristiana Manu’a
    Matilda O’Donell
    Teigen O’Shannassy
    Amy Parmenter
    Sam Poolman
    Jamie-Lee Price
    Coach: Julie Fitzgerald

Lightning
    Cara Koenen
    Laura Langman (NZ)
    Annika Lee-Jones
    Phumza Maweni (SA)
    Maddy McAuliffe
    Karla Pretorius (SA)
    Peace Proscovia (Uga)
    Jacqui Russell
    Laura Scherian
    Steph Wood
    Coach: Noeline Taurua

Magpies
    Ashleigh Brazill
    April Brandley
    Kelsey Browne
    Matilda Garrett
    Nat Medhurst
    Geva Mentor (Eng)
    Shimona Nelson (Jam)
    Kim Ravaillion
    Madi Robinson
    Gabby Sinclair
    Coach: Rob Wright

Swifts
    Kate Eddy
    Sophie Garbin
    Paige Hadley
    Nat Haythornthwaite (Eng)
    Helen Housby (Eng)
    Sarah Klau
    Lauren Moore
    Maddy Proud
    Maddy Turner
    Sam Wallace (T&T)
    Coach: Briony Akle

Thunderbirds
    Kelly Altmann
    Beth Cobden (Eng)
    Maria Folau (NZ)
    Sasha Glasgow
    Layla Guscoth (Eng)
    Cody Lange
    Hannah Petty
    Chelsea Pitman (Eng)
    Kate Shimmin
    Shamera Sterling (Jam)
    Coach: Tania Obst

Vixens
    Kadie-Ann Dehaney (Jam)
    Renae Ingles
    Mwai Kumwenda (Mal) *injured
    Emily Mannix
    Kate Moloney
    Tegan Philip
    Caitlin Thwaites
    Ine-Marie Venter (SA)
    Liz Watson
    Jo Weston
    Tayla Honey *replacement player
    Coach: Simone McKinnis

netballcrazy1

Wasn’t sure where else to put this but SSN sent out a chance to win a Diamonds signed netball alongside a survey they wanted people to take, and interestingly, as well as question regarding two-point shots and whatever, there was a media section about where people ge their info from, and netball scoop was one of five options!

TrentA

But still no dates for the actual season?

mcleod

Strange isn’t it.  Maybe Maria is right in saying she won’t play for the Tbirds until after the worlds.  As the SSN might not start until after that.

Channel 9 prob won’t want the comp to have a break of a few weeks.  And surely all the countries will want their players back for a good build up,

not a couple of weeks to sort out combos etc.

TrentA

Strange isn’t it. Maybe Maria is right in saying she won’t play for the Tbirds until after the worlds. As the SSN might not start until after that.

Channel 9 prob won’t want the comp to have a break of a few weeks. And surely all the countries will want their players back for a good build up,

not a couple of weeks to sort out combos etc.

But the World Champs aren’t until July. It is not feasible to have top class players without any game time until after that. It would’ve been better to have the SSN start in February like the ANZP.

Ian

What’s going on? When did Maria say that?

mcleod

What’s going on? When did Maria say that?

When she signed for the Tbirds.  It was mentioned in NZ media articles that she would join the Tbirds after the world champs.

Ian

That makes no sense.

Seems like I’ve got to go looking for that.

Ian

I’m willing to bet this is just plain wrong. And by the way, Maria didn’t say this, the NZ Herald did.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12132341

“Folau will join her new Thunderbirds teammates after next year’s Netball World Cup.”

This is more like it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/netball/107362652/silver-ferns-shooter-maria-folau-signs-with-adelaide-thunderbirds-for-2019

“Folau will link up with the Thunderbirds for the first time in November, after next month’s Constellation Cup series which pits the Silver Ferns against the Australian Diamonds across four tests, two on either side of the Tasman.”

Why would you do some pre-season with a team, then not play for them for about 6 or 7 months. And why would Tbirds even have her in the team if that was the case?

NetballNerd

Cant wait for the new season to start.

I am tipping Vixens v Giants GF 😊

Fever (unfortunately) wont make it into the finals this year.

Raz99

My super early prediction… Fever vs Vixens GF – Fever taking it out.

JFR is virtually unstoppable and Teague-Neeld will fit nicely into the frontline. Vixens have huge depth and will also be tough to beat.

Magpies also a chance. Nelson is such a talent and a great signing. With classy players around her she is certain to improve in leaps and bounds.

NettySuperFan

JFR is virtually unstoppable and Teague-Neeld will fit nicely into the frontline. Vixens have huge depth and will also be tough to beat.

Magpies also a chance. Nelson is such a talent and a great signing. With classy players around her she is certain to improve in leaps and bounds.

I honestly don’t think Fowler is unstoppable, she was certainly shut down a few times last year. I think with Medhurst not feeding her, they are going to find it a whole lot harder to get it into Fowler than they did before. Maybe after a fews years of playing with each other, Coyler, Charles and ATN will get a whole lot better, and they might be hard to stop.

I find it hard to make a prediction this early, but if I did this would be it. Magpies are essentially a whole new team, but they have quality players, so they might start the season slow, and just make it into finals, but then go on to do very well. Vixens also very strong, with not a lot of changes, and Thwaites and Kumwenda are somewhat similiar. Fever fairly unchanged, but Medhurst was a MASSIVE part of there game plan, so it may take quite a bit of time to form a decent connection there. Giants have a strong front line, but weak back-line, and MAY make it to finals, but probably won’t go very deep. Thunderbirds and Lightning are the two “dark horses” for me, with significant changes to their line-ups using players that haven’t played SSN before. I think they will have that advantage of players not knowing how to play them for the first few rounds, but I don’t think they will make the Grand final (although Lightning do have Noeline as the coach, so anything is possible). In the end, I think it will come down to a Magpies/Vixens Grand Final, with Vixens taking out the title. Actually, I change my mind. I reckon Magpies will take out the title, lead by Medhurst and Mentor, the M&M’s.

NetballNerd

Are you a fever supporter?  I am, but i honestly think it will take a few years to really build the GA position up to what it was previously with Medhurst.

Agree re Magpies too, they have a formidable line up and i cant wait to watch Fever v Magpies in Perth!

NetballNerd

I honestly don’t think Fowler is unstoppable, she was certainly shut down a few times last year. I think with Medhurst not feeding her, they are going to find it a whole lot harder to get it into Fowler than they did before. Maybe after a fews years of playing with each other, Coyler, Charles and ATN will get a whole lot better, and they might be hard to stop.

I find it hard to make a prediction this early, but if I did this would be it. Magpies are essentially a whole new team, but they have quality players, so they might start the season slow, and just make it into finals, but then go on to do very well. Vixens also very strong, with not a lot of changes, and Thwaites and Kumwenda are somewhat similiar. Fever fairly unchanged, but Medhurst was a MASSIVE part of there game plan, so it may take quite a bit of time to form a decent connection there. Giants have a strong front line, but weak back-line, and MAY make it to finals, but probably won’t go very deep. Thunderbirds and Lightning are the two “dark horses” for me, with significant changes to their line-ups using players that haven’t played SSN before. I think they will have that advantage of players not knowing how to play them for the first few rounds, but I don’t think they will make the Grand final (although Lightning do have Noeline as the coach, so anything is possible). In the end, I think it will come down to a Magpies/Vixens Grand Final, with Vixens taking out the title. Actually, I change my mind. I reckon Magpies will take out the title, lead by Medhurst and Mentor, the M&M’s.

Imagine if Lightning won again with a whole new line up!  And then the SF ferna go on to win the world cup  :eek:  surely Noels would go down in history.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.