2019 SSN ROUND 7 – FIREBIRDS v SWIFTS

Home Forum Australia 2019 SSN ROUND 7 – FIREBIRDS v SWIFTS

This topic contains 89 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Maryann Jun 13, 2019 at 3:14 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    amandalouise

Thought Potgieter played really well for someone who just jumped off the plane the day before and has been introduced into a completely new team. A few turnovers and penalties but overall I was impressed with her.

The interesting thing is with Potgieter and Tippett will anybody actually take a shot more than 1.5 meters away from the hoop? They both like being as close as possible and throw the ball out of the circle when they probably should shoot it.

The bonus point system seems to be a bit of a hindrance also, I thought when you are up by 20 you can afford to empty your bench and give everybody a run but with the BP it looks like teams aren’t so keen which I think will be detrimental to the development of the bench players. In other words I thought they should have given Amorangi a run.

I know Potgieter shot very well, but it was noticeable that ALM would turn and go to the post, but Potgieter and Tippett just kept playing it around to get closer.

And I was a bit disappointed not to see Sophie Garbin come on for the Swifts. But maybe she was injured, as she didn’t appear to have her hair done in a playing style :)

melakay

Yes Garbin is injured. Malesala is temp replacement.

James

O’Brien has been playing for Waratahs so she may come back in

Absolutely devastating for Proud and the whole team was really shaken at the end, was heartbreaking to see

Tully

Thought Potgieter played really well for someone who just jumped off the plane the day before and has been introduced into a completely new team. A few turnovers and penalties but overall I was impressed with her.

The interesting thing is with Potgieter and Tippett will anybody actually take a shot more than 1.5 meters away from the hoop? They both like being as close as possible and throw the ball out of the circle when they probably should shoot it.

The bonus point system seems to be a bit of a hindrance also, I thought when you are up by 20 you can afford to empty your bench and give everybody a run but with the BP it looks like teams aren’t so keen which I think will be detrimental to the development of the bench players. In other words I thought they should have given Amorangi a run.

I thought Swifts did a good job of not worrying about the Score and making changes.  Halpin come on at WD during the second quarter so not just because of the Proud injury. They also took the opportunity to test the Klau – Eddy circle combination resting Turner. Moore also got court time. Had Garbin been fit and in the 10 I am sure she would have got on. Not surprised Malesala didn’t get on.

Jbss

Just watched the replay, the bit at the end where Sarah Klau is being interviewed and trying not to cry with images of Eddy and Turner crying already was so sad. It was a great win for swifts but the rest of the game wasn’t much fun to watch.

AM_nettylover

If Proud is out for the rest of the SSN, do they look at a import, or do they have enough cover???.

Nat H…………………….. is not playing until after the WC, and who knows she might still not be right.

I would wonder how Claire O’Brein would be going with her recovery? Obviously, wouldn’t want to push her either

NZs Whitney Souness is a option (if allowed), she would fit in well with her speed.

No! Halpin (who played very well) and O’Brien (who is back playing).

In saying all of this though. We don’t actually know what is wrong with Maddy’s knee yet. Let’s not replace her before we even know what happened. This Swifts team is so strong and tight they don’t need to pull someone in from elsewhere.

I’m devastated for Maddy and have all my fingers and toes crossed that it looked worse than it was, I had tears in my eyes when it happened and when the girls were crying at the end. They seem like such a lovely tight knit team and it’s reflected on court. I love Halpin (she’s better than Moore who is in the contracted ten IMO) but I don’t think she will last a full game at centre against JLP next week, I would have her in WD a full game (if needed) but not as sold on her attacking game and feeds. Is Claire O’Brien fully recovered? O’Shannessy from the Giants did her Achilles after O’Brien and she’s already back. If so she’s definitely a good option for them. Swifts are much better at using their bench than other teams and utilised it a lot last year too which hopefully means IF there is a need for another WA (which I hope there isn’t) they can find new combos and good cover

Tully

Swifts also have Tayla Fraser. But I think O’Brien would be rated ahead at this point. O’Brien is back playing ANL and State League.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

PROUD! Noooooo! Career best form. HOPEFULLY not serious

Bluebird

I thought the Firebirds starting 7 should have stayed on. All those changes were silly and given Tippet & ALM having been getting better and better why try another new combo against one of the strongest teams in the league?

Such a shame Garbin is inured, perfect opportunity for her to have got some court time with that blow out score.

Ian

TrentA

Caught up with this game last night.

Swifts are wonderful to watch. So well drilled and cohesive. Hope that the injury to Proud doesn’t impact to much on this. Two Captains in two seasons injured. Seriously, will anyone take the risk of accepting this job?

Firebirds are in serious disarray. Jencke strikes me as being out of ideas. May be that’s a little unfair, but they only had one change from last year in Geitz and it’s all gone pear shaped.

And to be frank this game highlighted what a crock of shite the bonus system is. Thrashed by 22 goals and it’s exciting and acceptable that they get a bonus point for winning the last QTR by 1. The Commentators, the crowd and also Team management all happy and excited. To her credit Jencke didn’t look impressed about it.

jabes

Firebirds are in serious disarray. Jencke strikes me as being out of ideas. May be that’s a little unfair, but they only had one change from last year in Geitz and it’s all gone pear shaped.

5 of their original 10 have been injured – Simpson, Jenner, Aiken, Cassidy and Dwan. And Nevins missed a lot of pre-season with an injury as well.

Pardalote

Two Captains in two seasons injured. Seriously, will anyone take the risk of accepting this job?

And beyond the Swifts we have had Captain Madi at Magpies with an ACL and two years ago Captain Kim at Giants. Not good karma, I reckon

AM_nettylover

Two Captains in two seasons injured. Seriously, will anyone take the risk of accepting this job?

And beyond the Swifts we have had Captain Madi at Magpies with an ACL and two years ago Captain Kim at Giants. Not good karma, I reckon

Has the ACL been confirmed? Usually it’s confirmed earlier in the week so maybe it’s not as bad as it looked. My fingers are crossed anyway!!!

Maryann

Has the ACL been confirmed? Usually it’s confirmed earlier in the week so maybe it’s not as bad as it looked. My fingers are crossed anyway!!!

Yes confirmed ACL

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.