2019 SSN ROUND 12 – SWIFTS v VIXENS

Home Forum Australia 2019 SSN ROUND 12 – SWIFTS v VIXENS

This topic contains 71 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  hiphop Aug 12, 2019 at 1:35 pm.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Swifts1

This was a great game. It’s amazing they were able to pull this off without Housby – I thought Garbin had a great game. I wonder why Akle isn’t giving Nat H any court time as GA?

The Swifts defensive end was rock solid and I really think Maddy Turner is a bit of an unsung hero.

Some of the coaching decisions from the Vixens were a bit strange. I understand leaving Thwaites on to some extent to give her time to work it out on court but not sure why she benched Mannix who was playing well.

Definitely thought some of the umpiring decisions were harsh – like the handing the Swifts a bonus point bu advancing the penalty to right under the post. Although to be fair the Vixens also had a penalty to right under the post. Both teams had a penalty reversed for not setting correctly so overall these decisions were spread evenly between teams.

I’m not sure what the right balance is when it comes to umpiring. Last week the umpires copped it from the commentators for not controlling the game and this week they copped it from the commentators for too much whistle. As a fan I prefer to see players being allowed to contest the ball rather than last night where virtually all contests resulted in a penalty.

Umpiring really is a thankless job.

Carrol

Yep another good game. Thwaites seemed great but tired first week after World Cup but has looked less strong the past 2 weeks.

Great to see Kumwenda out there like she has never missed a game. I hope the two of them share the GS role. Thwaites has truly been so strong last year and this. Did some amazing stuff in the World Cup

Tully

Yep another good game. Thwaites seemed great but tired first week after World Cup but has looked less strong the past 2 weeks.

Great to see Kumwenda out there like she has never missed a game. I hope the two of them share the GS role. Thwaites has truly been so strong last year and this. Did some amazing stuff in the World Cup

I don’t think Thwaites will lose the starting spot. But they now know they have a genuine change up which they can use with confidence which is something for them to take away from this game. Could be critical in finals. The WC break went in Kumwenda’s favour as she was able to effectively do a short pre season.

I would have liked to see Vixens change their mid court. Ingles was not getting her hands to ball. I would have tried Weston at WD and Ingles in C. Vixens always suffer the same issue in big games, Moloney goes MIA in attack. Watson had another cracker and Philip was handling the ball a lot more than she generally would (I thought Philip had a great game).

TrentA

You could see the vein on Ingles’ head throb in outrage. Ridiculous call. Just because someone makes a play for the ball in the dying seconds doesn’t mean they’re intentionally delaying.

IMO the Umpire did the right thing.

Ingles play was a deliberate, late and cynical attempt, trying to delay the goal and deny Swifts the bonus point. The Umpire was on to that and gave Swifts the point that Ingles was trying to deny them.

Last week in the Giants/Firebirds game the Umpires came in for a lot of criticism for not controlling the game. This week in this game in this instance, the Umpire wasn’t allowing Ingles to get away with such a cheap shot. Good on her.

Iheartdiamonds

I’m not usually one to complain about the umpiring, but one umpire was clearly blowing the whistle way more than the other. I hope differences like this are looked at. I would love to see how many call she made vs the other umpire. She seemed to like the sound of her own voice and whistle.

Jbss

I’m not usually one to complain about the umpiring, but one umpire was clearly blowing the whistle way more than the other. I hope differences like this are looked at. I would love to see how many call she made vs the other umpire. She seemed to like the sound of her own voice and whistle.

Players should be able to adjust to a scoring end in the game though, Vixens were shooting at the scoring end in the second so they should have known from seeing their defenders get pulled that they’d get more opportunities. It isn’t ideal to have disparity between the ends but at least both umpires stayed consistent with what they allowed/disallowed from players for 60 minutes. I think it would be worse if they adjusted after a quarter and both took on a middle ground because then Vixens would be the only team to have to play through that in their defense end.

olivia

Helen George has always been one to blow the whistle quite a bit, so I wasn’t surprised at all by this game. It was just more noticeable because of where she advanced the penalty and the result of said penalty (the bonus point).

Clayhay

In the moment, the umpire wouldnt know if the bonus pt was on the line. She advanced it b/c she believed Ingles deliberately contacted so Swifts wouldnt score. So she gave them a chance to score, which they could have if Ingles didnt deliberately contact.  Not to give Swifts a bonus pt…

Players do it all the time. Its not new, and the umpire wasnt having a bar of it.

EastWest

Yes exactly. And the same thing happened in the vixens favour with the same umpire (except not at the end of the quarter) but Thwaites missed the shot under the post.

hiphop

Maddy Proud basically told Sue she’ll be taking her job one day. Sooner the better I’d hope

I like Sue’s honesty and humour. We need a west coast commentator. That’s my beef with AFL. So Victorian biased!

I’d prefer less bias. I can’t listen to Sue commentate a West Coast fever game any more.

hiphop

You could see the vein on Ingles’ head throb in outrage. Ridiculous call. Just because someone makes a play for the ball in the dying seconds doesn’t mean they’re intentionally delaying.

IMO the Umpire did the right thing.

Ingles play was a deliberate, late and cynical attempt, trying to delay the goal and deny Swifts the bonus point. The Umpire was on to that and gave Swifts the point that Ingles was trying to deny them.

Last week in the Giants/Firebirds game the Umpires came in for a lot of criticism for not controlling the game. This week in this game in this instance, the Umpire wasn’t allowing Ingles to get away with such a cheap shot. Good on her.

Umpires are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. There was more whistle at one end but each team gets even court time at each end.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.