2019 SSN ROUND 12 – FEVER v MAGPIES

Home Forum Australia 2019 SSN ROUND 12 – FEVER v MAGPIES

This topic contains 109 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  tasman Aug 15, 2019 at 11:22 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Luvpav

I agree with James that is.

Luvpav

Interesting game to watch. Magpies did well, but unfortunately it wasn’t a top four performance.  I love the control and calmness that Brazil brings to centre court + the speed that Rav brings to WD, it’s a really powerful combo – If only the Pies had developed that earlier. Medhurst is great when she’s actually putting up shots. Great to see Gabby get the start, I reckon Medhurst plays better when brought off the bench.

Fever is  sad a team to watch. They lack structure in their attack and look to me as if they play with a hot head. They have the luxury of having JFR in the back and it’s a weapon they haven’t learned to utilised. I do really like some of the players in the Fever camp, JFR, Charles, ATN (when she’s not shooting)… but in general Fever is a pretty unlikeable team. Hope there are some changes to come in the future.

Yay to the Thunderbirds going up to 6th!

Fever is a hard team to like? That is very harsh!

every player gives their best. You can see them trying their guts out week in and weak out. What’s not to like about Anstiss, Colyer, Francis,. Bruce is getting a bad wrap on here but one bad international game shouldn’t dismiss her as a fantastic GK. She is ball winner.

EastWest

Luvpav, I was a Fever fan last year.

I’ve found them difficult to “like” after the Medhurst incident. And it’s not because I think Fever are the first team to drop a player – it was the way they went about it. I also think it was a little harsh that Thwaites, who had carried the load for Collingwood for 2 poor seasons was dropped but at least they called her in and spoke to her properly about not renewing her contract.

I like all of the Fever players, you are right – they try very hard and are good role models for Netball in WA. My assessment of Bruce comes from several games where she does silly and careless things at the wrong time and that part of her game is yet to change. Eg sticking her hand up to defend a shot that the game depends on when she was 1ft away or sticking your arm out and clotheslining a player who is making a run for the post.

NettySuperFan

Interesting game to watch. Magpies did well, but unfortunately it wasn’t a top four performance.  I love the control and calmness that Brazil brings to centre court + the speed that Rav brings to WD, it’s a really powerful combo – If only the Pies had developed that earlier. Medhurst is great when she’s actually putting up shots. Great to see Gabby get the start, I reckon Medhurst plays better when brought off the bench.

Fever is  sad a team to watch. They lack structure in their attack and look to me as if they play with a hot head. They have the luxury of having JFR in the back and it’s a weapon they haven’t learned to utilised. I do really like some of the players in the Fever camp, JFR, Charles, ATN (when she’s not shooting)… but in general Fever is a pretty unlikeable team. Hope there are some changes to come in the future.

Yay to the Thunderbirds going up to 6th!

Fever is a hard team to like? That is very harsh!

every player gives their best. You can see them trying their guts out week in and weak out. What’s not to like about Anstiss, Colyer, Francis,. Bruce is getting a bad wrap on here but one bad international game shouldn’t dismiss her as a fantastic GK. She is ball winner.

It was probably a bit harsh, but I get what nanator is saying. Fever is easily my least favourite team, and its probably just the way they present themselves, including Stacey M. They are obviously some really great talents (not many, but some), but I just don’t see anything from them that makes me want to root for them. I never particularly liked Fever before, but I think the Nat Medhurst debacle really put me off them.

Jbss

I don’t think it will be long before Klau and Mannix overtake Bruce in the GK position. Courtney’s best chance is at GD. I thought Bruce would keep developing but I was quite surprised how she went completely flat in the WC final, she looked way out of her depth.

When you think about her last couple of years she has been in the losing team of 3 big games. To me, she hasn’t shown the ability to step up when it really counts like so many Goal Keepers before her.

I’d love to see Bruce become a strong GD/GK and develop her GD game. I don’t think she’s taken the next step to be that Geitz/Ellis player at GK.Tbf neither have Mannix or Klau. Also to have both her and Weston as GD options would be fantastic for Australia, especially if you wanted someone to win ball after Weston had done the shut down work. It also means Weston can slide over to WD and create a really tall defence end. Being able to include Mannix, Klau, Bruce and Weston would provide a lot of options imo. Not to mention how many young players there are to also push for a spot.

jabes

mcleod

That slow mo, makes it look very bad.  Should have been a straight warning, if not a few goals on the sideline.  Who the hell sticks their arm out like that, Bruce knew Nat was coming.  Grub

Bluebird

I’m not convinced Bruce is 100% and that her injury at the start of the season is still an issue.

mcleod

I’m not convinced Bruce is 100% and that her injury at the start of the season is still an issue.

Tend to agree, she certainly wasn’t 100% in the WC final, mind you a few of the Aus players went MIA in the final.

Only 2 more games for Courtney, then she can have a bit more of a rest then, others before the Con Cup, if she makes the team.

netballcrazy1

To whoever said that Medhurst is on good term with most of her former team except for Bruce, I think I may agree now. Sad but I guess things went down behind the scenes last year

Nachos

The Hollywood from Bruce at the end pushed it into grub territory for me, I’m afraid. Sometimes the odd clothesline happens in netball, but most players immediately are apologetic for it – not trying to milk a penalty their own way.

The amusing thing about it was how Medhurst blatantly refused her hand and how put out Bruce appeared to be about it.

I’m a big Medhurst fan, but my glasses aren’t that tinted to believe she’s perfect – I suspect she is extremely competitive and not backwards in coming forwards and saying her piece (wanted or even warranted or not). However that incident was dirty and unnecessary (I can’t recall seeing Bruce ever swing an arm out at head height to shut down a baseline). In rugby that would have been a yellow card. It’s a pity netball doesn’t have a review process in place to knock things like that.

And I wouldn’t have let her pick me up either!

tasman

I’ve never liked Courtney Bruce’s defensive style. She can be a great ball winner but she is such a rough player. I don’t like this tactic of “frustrating” the attacking player. It’s a euphemism for pushing, shoving, obstructing and intimidating. More footwork, skill and flair please.

Luvpav

I loved Nat Medhurst as a player but I know there is more to the story about why they let her go. I don’t agree with the way Fever did it. In fact I was very angry. However it is time to move on.

Carrol

I loved Nat Medhurst as a player but I know there is more to the story about why they let her go. I don’t agree with the way Fever did it. In fact I was very angry. However it is time to move on.

I have to agree. There is more than we know. I used to be a big Medhurst fan. I always wondered why she was never given the Liz ELLIS diamond award. however I do not think she was really at her best over the past couple of years. Sad to see Fever let her go but that is sport. Even at Magpies she has been somewhat erratic.

As for Fever I kind of like them.

Goalkeepersarekeepers

The Hollywood from Bruce at the end pushed it into grub territory for me, I’m afraid. Sometimes the odd clothesline happens in netball, but most players immediately are apologetic for it – not trying to milk a penalty their own way.

The amusing thing about it was how Medhurst blatantly refused her hand and how put out Bruce appeared to be about it.

I’m a big Medhurst fan, but my glasses aren’t that tinted to believe she’s perfect – I suspect she is extremely competitive and not backwards in coming forwards and saying her piece (wanted or even warranted or not). However that incident was dirty and unnecessary (I can’t recall seeing Bruce ever swing an arm out at head height to shut down a baseline). In rugby that would have been a yellow card. It’s a pity netball doesn’t have a review process in place to knock things like that.

And I wouldn’t have let her pick me up either!

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.