2019 SSN PRELIMINARY FINAL – SWIFTS v VIXENS

Home Forum Australia 2019 SSN PRELIMINARY FINAL – SWIFTS v VIXENS

This topic contains 166 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Sep 9, 2019 at 8:58 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    NZChampion

Yeah something isn’t quite right about the Vixens. It’s a small tweak that needs adjusting and I don’t think Mckinnis recognises the problem either. She seriously needs to look at a stronger bench. They must play when needed and create either a point of difference or impact.

I think some players are stale at Vixens. Maybe time for a change in scenery.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Stronger bench? They had Kumwenda and Dehaney on the bench. Both are so strong!

McKinnis just didn’t play that midcourt right. Moloney at WA was a dumb move…. again.

They should try and get Rav so Moloney can play WD next year.

Will Thwaites Kumwenda AND Phillip return?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Phillip or Thwaites step away from netball.

NZChampion

I didn’t think much of Dehaney. Certainly not an impact player for Mannix. Oh and I wasn’t referring to Kumwenda. Even though she was on the bench, she is a Starting 7 GS, it goes without saying.

Tully

Great fight from the Swifts! The most intensity they’ve shown since the Giants game before the WC break. One of the best games I’ve ever seen Turner played, might have played herself into the Diamonds. The same girls who stepped up in the Round 10 clash (Klau/Hadley/Haythornthwaite) easily won their positions again today.

I can’t believe the Vixens were in the same position four of the last five weeks and McKinnis shows so little awareness of where the problems actually lie. If Mannix had 10 intercepts she would have still been benched, Moloney didn’t drive the whole game so I don’t know why WA would be the position to move her into. If they really don’t want to develop depth on the bench or a structural plan B they could have at least done something as simple as swapping Ingles and Moloney for a quarter. It’s a shame to see them make the same mistakes over and over again because when they bring their best they’re great to watch. They just seem to struggle in general under pressure, even their best performers Watson and Weston were very quiet in the first half.

I really hope it doesn’t happen but I can’t help but think Thwaites might get dropped from the Diamonds after this for Koenen. And this has surely put the nails in the coffin for Philip and Moloney’s hopes.

Well said.

I love McKinnis but are the Vixens perhaps in need of a coaching change?

Mannix with able support from Weston single handedly tried to pull Vixens back into the match in the 3rd quarter but why was Mannix ever taken off? No matter how well Mannix is playing McKinnis always brings Dehaney on as an “impact”. But she is a substantial step down Fromm mannix and so has little impact. I hope that Dehaney changes clubs next year. I don’t rate her that highly. Give Newton a contract.

Vixens desperately need another attacking midcourter. I know they lost Honey in pre season, whether she is the answer I am not sure. They need to get Ravaillion on the phone. Moloney needs to move back to WD. Plenty of yelling at her teammates but zero drive. Way too reliant on Watson to create anything in that attacking third. Why they didn’t at least try Ingles in C I don’t know. Moloney is not a WA at all.

They also need to find a GD / WD slide to replace Ingles.

The only Vixens that should make Diamonds would be Mannix, Weston and Watson. I think Thwaites will make way for Koenen.

Swifts1

Stronger bench? They had Kumwenda and Dehaney on the bench. Both are so strong!

McKinnis just didn’t play that midcourt right. Moloney at WA was a dumb move…. again.

They should try and get Rav so Moloney can play WD next year.

Will Thwaites Kumwenda AND Phillip return?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Phillip or Thwaites step away from netball.

It is a strong bench but inflexible and doesn’t offer as many options for change ups. As much as I would love to see Eddy remain a Swift she would be a great pick up for the Vixens.

I would love to to see the Vixens keep all three shooters. MJ is a great change up when Thwaites is off. Thwaites still has plenty to offer.

Tully

Yeah something isn’t quite right about the Vixens. It’s a small tweak that needs adjusting and I don’t think Mckinnis recognises the problem either. She seriously needs to look at a stronger bench. They must play when needed and create either a point of difference or impact.

They need a more versatile bench. Dehaney is a GK option only and is a step down from Mannix (who should never have been taken off). They don’t seem to want to use Dunkley. Kumwenda is obviously a great GS but they don’t have a second GA option.

Vixens need to sign Newton over dehaney. Plays both GD and GK. Sign an attacking midcourt who they will actually play over Dunkley. Try and get a WD / C slide to replace Ingles ( Allie Smith or a Sharni Lambden who are both WD / GD and being converted into a C would work) and start to develop another GA option.

NetballNerd

Agree.  They definitely need more depth on the bench. I hate it when Watson and Moloney change positions, and i hope its not something that Lisa Alexander has requested to get Watson more time at C.

Its a shame this is how the Vixens season ended.  No consistency at all. And when most needed things just didn’t click for them yesterday.  They need a bench that can bought on at any time to change things up. This is what swifts have done well all season, has a structure and regardless of injuries have made things work with bench players.  Gutted over the loss yesterday but hope we can come our firing and with a new desire and passion in 2020!

Marrietta

Well done Swifts. The Vixens were outplayed.

netballcrazy1

I agree that McKinnis needs another perspective on this playing group, she is not recognising the problems on-court and then making the right changes. Maybe she needs to move or maybe there needs to be some changes in the playing group, maybe she had been with them too long? I would love to see Rav move there and re-generate her career but I don’t know if McKinnis is the right coach for it. I think maybe people think that this is a very successful team based on the players in it over the past few years, many Diamonds, but I think we failed to recognise the signs that a team so strong hasn’t won a final’s game in six years until this year so maybe McKinnis’s coaching choices are the problem. Maybe, I don’t know, these are just some of possibilities I have come to think of.

TB

The Vixens have struggled against Swifts all year. If they had of played anyone else in this game (including Lightning), they probably would have won.

In saying that, again, is this another team that played their finals (or best game) the week before? Seems to be a pattern.

museboy

I was just thinking that as well TB… Magpies, Vixens and now Swifts…

tasman

Watson was the best vixens player yesterday but i think she played one of her worst games (bottom 3? Lol) of the season. Too many turn overs and played in to the defense of the Swifts. Credit is due to Rore who played reasonably on Watson but i think i just have such high expectations of her! Moloney and Philip were the weakest link yet again – they make or break games for this vixens team. I felt sorry for Thwaites not being given another chance. She just had a bad start in shooting. Mwai did have an impact but i think vixens play better with a moving circle – would have liked to see that again in the third quarter after the half time break.

Swifts defence was great – Klau much more disciplined and Turner was so good with her hands over. I agree with previous comment that Klau/Rore combo in circle might be better. I love Katrina in the midcourt, especially in attack, but find that when she is playing in an Aussie defence structure, she is not agile enough to match up on the nippy WAs like Scherian in a one-on-one style defence. Her height and elevation makes it hard for WAs to feed the circle but Turner has demonstrated her hands over pressure is excellent and she is just as tall. Katrina is a big game player that will hunt for intercepts and i think she can match up well on Wood. Shame that there wasn’t more time for them to develop a combo and i doubt Akle will risk putting on the lesser familiar combo in a grand final. Concerned about swifts attack though. Thankfully Wallace dominated in the first half for them but Hadley, Haythornthwaite and Housby were not looking so slick in the second half. Langman, McAuliffe and Pretorius will eat them up for breakfast :p

I’m predicting the lightning will win the GF.

James

I think the second half was good for Swifts. If they had cruised home and dominated the entire game they would have played their final this week

I think having something to work on will do well for them so they aren’t complacent

Hoping for a Swifts win on the weekend

TrentA

I think the second half was good for Swifts. If they had cruised home and dominated the entire game they would have played their final this week

I think having something to work on will do well for them so they aren’t complacent

Hoping for a Swifts win on the weekend

I agree.

Saw the first half live and then had to watch the second half later on knowing the result.

Swifts need to address their 3rd qtr wobbles. Did it against Lightning in the semi and again yesterday. Luckily they had a good lead and steadied, and their senior players stepped up. I thought it odd that when Cox interviewed her just as the 2nd half was about to begin, Akle said that the Coaches didn’t really say much during half-time as they were happy with the first 30 mins. Then – bang Vixens came out firing and the Swifts wobbled for a few minutes before steadying themselves.

Akle continues to  impress me. Her timeout talks are always very specific and encouraging. Always focuses on one area while Keenan deals with another.

I’m not sure why McKinnis panicked and took Thwaites off. Sure her stats weren’t great, but she is a proven quality player and some of the balls into her were magnificent. The feeders had just seemed to be finding her when off she went. To spend the rest of the game on the bench. But using Kumwenda was better then swapping Thwaites and Philip around.

Maloney is a phony. I am amazed that she is Captain. Her time-out talks seem so full of cliches and soundbites. Intense and loud too the point  of annoying. The Maloney/Watson swap did not help and I agree that the swap should have been Maloney/Ingles.

Is McKinnis back next year? In the 3 years of SSN they haven’t finished higher than 3rd and didn’t make finals last year. Looking back at the teams results since McKinnis took over in 2013, they have made finals 5 out of 7 seasons winning the ANZP in 2014. Every other finals series they have failed to make a GF. Some would say getting to finals 5 out of 7 seasons is good. And it is. But only making 1 GF out of 5 isn’t looking so good.

Now, all Cath Cox has to do is pick Lightning for the win in the Grand Final. She picked Magpies last week and Vixens this week. Both on the back of dominant performances in their previous games. So Cath, don’t pick Swifts on the back of yesterdays game. You’ll put the hex on them like you did the other two. 😉 . Liz Ellis was just as bad. Picked Vixens as well before the game started. ‘They are full of confidence after last weeks big win and that will carry them into the Grand Final’. Yeah – Nah.

GoSwifts

My problem with Philip is she is always the go to player in the circle, which is fine when she is on.  She normally is but in some games, gets the wobbles in big moments, like yesterday.  She often is the outstanding GA of all the teams for most of the season and then in those important games at the end of the season goes missing – a little like yesterday.  Whether that was because she was dragged further forward because the feed into the circle was well handled by Swifts defence, or whether the change between Moloney and Watson wasn’t the best I don’t know.  I only know, that she is one of the few GAs that once she catches the ball in the circle, very rarely looks forward to the GS.  If she doesn’t like the circle position as she catches the ball, she is already looking outside to a feeder to re-position herself, rarely to her partner in the circle.  One of the reasons Thwaites, who had a blinder last year at Collingwood, rode the pine a bit this year.  You can’t drag Philip because Vixens don’t have a viable alternative so Thwaites is yanked.  And as I said in an earlier post, the beginning of the end for Caitie, one of my favourite players and one of the nicest!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.