2019 QUAD SERIES (Jan 13 – Liverpool)

Home Forum International 2019 QUAD SERIES (Jan 13 – Liverpool)

This topic contains 390 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Jan 20, 2019 at 12:42 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Iheartdiamonds

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the diamonds are not game hardened (in terms of extra time and mental strength in those dying moments) as previous diamonds teams? You only need to look at 2010 CG and 2011 WC and this is a real possibility leading into 2019. The only tight game the diamonds have really had was the CG final and they lost, and whilst they will have taken lessons from that, I don’t know how they would cope if a 2011 WC moment appeared in front of them in 2019. The diamonds were down by six at half time in that game, and Medhurst got the intercept in the last 30secs to level the game (cbass missed the winning goal) before full-time, sending them into extra time.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the new ferns team with Langman and Kopua back. They will offer a lot of leadership and calm in the big moments.

Anyone else’s thoughts?

Ash72

I agree: I think that whilst other countries have got stronger the Diamonds no longer seem invincible. Paradoxically I don’t know if this is because other countries are stronger or whether there is an underlying weakness in the current Diamonds squad.

A lot was made of us winning in that last couple of seconds in that infamous CWG match, but actually in previous competitions we would never have been in a potential winning  position to start with! Based on previous experiences we’d have probably been down by 5-10 goals at that point in the match; shut down in all areas of the court by a steely opposition! This doesn’t seem to be the case now; you can actually see self doubt on the faces of the Diamonds and emotional reactions which I’ve never noticed before.

It’s an interesting question: is the playing field more level or can we expect a return to dominance from Diamonds  in 2019? It’s certainly making things more exciting from a spectators point of view!

mcleod

Aus a very beatable, we saw the Ferns do that by 11 goals, and actually lead by 14 at one stage.  The Ferns will be competitive in 2019, England playing the world champs at home, lots of media interest, the pressure will be huge for them. Jamaica have a great chance.

Such a open World Champs for the 1st time ever.

NettySuperFan

I would even say that if South Africa have their entire team their they could be dark horses as well. They came awfully close to NZ and Aus last year with all their best players, and beat England (I think).

mcleod

I would even say that if South Africa have their entire team their they could be dark horses as well. They came awfully close to NZ and Aus last year with all their best players, and beat England (I think).

Agree, they stayed with Aus for half the game in the Sept Quads prob should have beaten England, but got taken to by the Ferns. They seem to often struggle against the NZ style of play.

CharlesWB

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the diamonds are not game hardened (in terms of extra time and mental strength in those dying moments) as previous diamonds teams? You only need to look at 2010 CG and 2011 WC and this is a real possibility leading into 2019. The only tight game the diamonds have really had was the CG final and they lost, and whilst they will have taken lessons from that, I don’t know how they would cope if a 2011 WC moment appeared in front of them in 2019.

I tend to agree that they don’t seem as hardened. I know it’s a pet peeve of mine, but I really do think the time-outs in SSN have taken away the ability of the team to “work it out” on court when things go awry or are very tight. It’s like they are looking for a time-out to reset the game flow.

Bluebird

I think the Suncorp time outs are detrimental but my main issue with them is the disruption for spectators and the fact it feels a bit like cheating. It was bad we enough when we had those fake injury time outs.

Tbh, I think the fact that teams are no longer afraid of Australia or New Zealand is the issue for them now. But I dont really care, uber competitive international netball is where the sport needs to be, and to be frank, Diamonds and Ferns will now know what it feels like to have to have really fought for a place in those medal games, the medals will mean more to them rather than it being just a toss up to who is getting gold or silver.

As for this years CWG I think hubris was the Diamonds enemy. Jamaica went missing, and SA was depleted with injury so their pool matches were an easy ride to semi finals. Because of that the media assumed the goal margin against England would be huge,even though the last few years had shown otherwise. How much did the team believe the hype? Who knows, but had Australia, and not New Zealand been in pool B I think their preparation for the final against England would have been very different.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

I don’t think NZ have the right team…. yet. Their shooters are hard to pick.
    Taking Mes or Dunn will help.
    It will be interesting to see Kopua back!
    Souness will overtake Crampton at WA
    Poi will be learning a lot.

I honestly don’t think England will get any better. Harten is so important for them.
    Aus will come back strong and will be the team to beat
    SA will be a force if they have their top players

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Jamaica have the 2 best shooters in the world. They also have 1 of the best GK in the world. All will depend if their midcourt fire.

mcleod

I don’t think NZ have the right team…. yet. Their shooters are hard to pick.

Taking Mes or Dunn will help.

It will be interesting to see Kopua back!

Souness will overtake Crampton at WA

Poi will be learning a lot.

I honestly don’t think England will get any better. Harten is so important for them.

Aus will come back strong and will be the team to beat

SA will be a force if they have their top players

We are getting close to being sorted, a 4th shooter will come in for the world’s.  Maria is a certain, he other 3 still ??????.  And agree Whitney Souness will become the number 1 WA, so that Pulse connection with Ekenasio will be important.  Poi is a option at C, because I believe LL is a better WD.  I like the defence, Mikaere is there because of her ability against CBass.

and Mentor needs to be in cotton wool, because they are cooked in defence if anything happens to her.

JR

Jamaica have the 2 best shooters in the world.

Really?

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Sorry, 2 of the strongest and biggest shooters in the world. JFR is a beast!

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Mentor and Harten are the 2 most important players for England

netballnut

For me, we need to wrap Mentor, Guthrie and Harten in cotton wool – I think we need all 3 on court to have a chance of winning the big games.

Ash72

For me, we need to wrap Mentor, Guthrie and Harten in cotton wool – I think we need all 3 on court to have a chance of winning the big games.

Yes I completely  agree: Guthrie is a match winner when she plays for England: some of her intercepts under pressure are incredible. I wouldn’t want to go the WC without her.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 391 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.