2019 ANZP ROUND 3 – STARS v MYSTICS

Home Forum New Zealand 2019 ANZP ROUND 3 – STARS v MYSTICS

This topic contains 74 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Dissy Apr 5, 2019 at 10:45 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    minkie

Why Kat?

Its so frusting re Mystics and past history

Kat

Why Kat?

Its so frusting re Mystics and past history

If I knew why, then I would be coach of the Northern Mystics, lol.

I did have a couple good seasons 2011 and 2012.

I think the whole Mystics Netball set up needs to be looked at.  They have a great catchment of players, so they really should be near the top of the leaderboard.

whoever is in charge should be looking at why they are failing year after year.  They do have some very talented players.  They should be looking at the coaches, the training ( I think some are a bit unfit), also they need to have a sports psychologist.

NZChampion

That goes for all Auckland sport teams lol. The blues, Warriors, Mystics all suck noodles. 😂 Dunno what it is, but they like to choke really badly.

However they do breed some damn good talent there. Many Silverferns have come from Auckland and by the looks of things, more talent will come from there.

I’ve appreciated the many players who have moved from Auckland and found a home in other franchises. Spreading talent is a good thing for NNZ. Winning an ANZP title isn’t even a big deal unless the competition is strong. Its getting there, but still has a way to go.

Dissy

And it’s a shame…because you have a lot of really strong players that keep getting overlooked by players that should call it a day…..the development of your players appears to be stifled….a real shame. I personally would like to see the comp return to what it was and include other countries ….but it seems to be top heavy and if the heavy don’t agree it doesn’t happen….and it’s the locals that miss such a wonderful opportunity….

NZChampion

Yep fully agree Dissy. I’m glad Kopua is calling it day and I would like to see De Bruin finally call it a day too lol.

I like the fact that we don’t have too many imports. They will get more out of playing in the SSN and the Super comp in Eng IMO.

I’m overall happy with the defensive ends for all teams. Umpires are putting more pressure on shooters which will benefit them internationally.

Nesian

And it’s a shame…because you have a lot of really strong players that keep getting overlooked by players that should call it a day

Don’t really agree to be honest. I think if you are good enough, then you’re good enough regardless of age. Whether you are on one end like Nweke or the other end like de Bruin and Bailey, they shouldn’t have to call it a day just because of some number especially when they are holding their own like both Bailey and de Bruin are.

the development of your players appears to be stifled….a real shame

I think that is so far from the truth. The Beko league is producing some wonderful players. Players like Faulkner, O’Connell, Dunn and now Nweke. The Beko league is doing what it is supposed to do so it’s actually quite the opposite of stifling.

James

I agree about players calling it a day. de Bruin is an example, as she is Captain she is never off the court when you have Kate Burley who can play just as well bench warming or you move Cullen to GD and Fowler at WD which is there best positions but instead you have de Bruin at GD who is too slow and gets very frustrated with calls Cullen at WD which she plays well but much better suited to GD and then you have Fowler playing C or bench warming

hiphop

I disagree. Why should they retire to let someone else who isn’t as good as them on court? If these young players are good enough to earn a place on court, then they should train hard get there. It comes down to if this is a development league for national teams or if it is a competition of the best athletes going. Emily Beaton was able to fight to get on court ahead of LVB in the Thunderbirds 2010 grand final.

NZChampion

I disagree. Why should they retire to let someone else who isn’t as good as them on court? If these young players are good enough to earn a place on court, then they should train hard get there. It comes down to if this is a development league for national teams or if it is a competition of the best athletes going. Emily Beaton was able to fight to get on court ahead of LVB in the Thunderbirds 2010 grand final.

Depends on each individual player, and who they’re blocking from developing. I’m all for the oldies playing if they’re better than the bench. But when the standard drops, they should call time on their career at the end of the season. Just saves the embarrassment of not getting a recall. Not that coaches have the confidence to do so, well in NZ anyway. I think there should be an overall balance of development and competition.

James

Sometimes though the players on court are not better and are only starting/playing because of reputation. It’s not even just about older players and blocking pathways, it’s all players – Hume for example, you have Nweke on the bench and Hume starting and shooting 3/12 @25% clearly Nweke is the better player but they persist with Hume (this might change now Nweke is a full squad member)

Dissy

Well young players need opportunity to build their skills and where better to do that than on the court in elite competition. The older athletes need to assist in using their skills to assist in developing their young players.  This way you have strong players at all levels that can step up should something happen..for example,  an injury …

Bluebird

Wow, I’m quite surprised to read people actively supporting ageism. Would we make those comments about older, wiser male legends still playing in their sport?  If lack of progression for younger players is a problem perhaps the amount of teams in the ANZP needs to be looked at? Or maybe ditch that stupid rule regarding Ferns having to play in ANZP because thats causing a bit of a bottleneck.

Dissy

Wow, I’m quite surprised to read people actively supporting ageism. Would we make those comments about older, wiser male legends still playing in their sport? If lack of progression for younger players is a problem perhaps the amount of teams in the ANZP needs to be looked at? Or maybe ditch that stupid rule regarding Ferns having to play in ANZP because thats causing a bit of a bottleneck.

Why should other countries develop your youth?

Bluebird

Wow, I’m quite surprised to read people actively supporting ageism. Would we make those comments about older, wiser male legends still playing in their sport? If lack of progression for younger players is a problem perhaps the amount of teams in the ANZP needs to be looked at? Or maybe ditch that stupid rule regarding Ferns having to play in ANZP because thats causing a bit of a bottleneck.

They wouldn’t necessarily be. SSN is the best in the world, they’re happy to suck up world talent thats been developed elsewhere. But great ferns players cant move to SSN or VNSL if they want to represent their country. That means limited elite spaces for current ferns, former ferns and future ferns.

Dissy

They wouldn’t necessarily be. SSN is the best in the world, they’re happy to suck up world talent thats been developed elsewhere. But great ferns players cant move to SSN or VNSL if they want to represent their country. That means limited elite spaces for current ferns, former ferns and future ferns.

True….I don’t understand why they split the ANZ premiership….the opportunity should be open to all and make netball a world wide sport. There are so many women and men from all over the world that play competitively…..it would great viewing

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.