2019 ANZP ROUND 12 – TACTIX v STEEL

Home Forum New Zealand 2019 ANZP ROUND 12 – TACTIX v STEEL

This topic contains 63 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  James May 17, 2019 at 7:16 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Kat

They don’t need an import. They just need to target a kiwi GA. SRicket, Metuarau, Falkner, Latu Meafou, Tui are ones they should target. And all will work well with Bird.

They will get one.

No need for import unless it’s a top international player

and if none of those players want to move? What then? back to Leaver/Beveridge?

Unsure Latu Meafou or Tui is the answer. Maybe as a back up shooter.

Tactix, need a fully developed GA if they want to win games, so that means an international. Seriously they need to look at VNSL and world cup teams.

The tactix has always been near the bottom of league, 10 or so years is getting a bit tiresome of not performing. They are close with the team they have this year plus Faka, but they need a GA.

They did not to bad in the 1st few years of the old ANZ, I went to games in Chch, and they beat the Swifts, Tbirds, Fever, Firebirds. Then the EQ’s came and scared most people away, Jane Watson was there before the Steel, but quite frankly she was terrible, pre Steel days.

Yes they do need a GA, but who is a good question.

Last year they beat every team, and got very close to the final. Leaver was a GA at the Steel, but she has been a waste of time.

While I agree way back when we had the ANZ competition, the Tactix did win a few games.  From 2008 to 2017 there were 4 years that the tactix was not placed last.  One 6th, two 8th, one 9th.  Really not a good record.

Yes I was back living in Christchurch in the 1990’s, so yes I was here for all the earthquakes.  Lived through it all, with my family.

Yes, Leaver was at the steel, but she wasn’t very good back then either.  I think the three years she has had with the Tactix is enough.  Unfortunately she has not developed enough to hold a space.  I would rather a fresh face NZ player than Leaver. But would prefer an experienced import player.

As I said we are close, but need a decent GA

Kat

I would say TP S-R has prob booked her spot to the WC, looked out of sorts from the 1st half of the anz, but is coming into some good form.

I hope not. I fully admit I am not a fan of her.

I still would like to see her at GS if she does get picked for the ferns, she is so slow at GA.

What? slower than Folau? I was at the game last night and was amazed at how fast and agile she moved around the court and circle. Watching the game on TV they show close-ups and she always seems to look tired and a bit slow. But usually that is right after the shooting and she is making her way back to the transverse line for the CP. And also when her and Potgeiter mixed it up with Potgeiter coming out of the circle and S-R staying back I got them mixed up a couple of times as S-R took the ball under the hoop after taking the CP and getting back into the circle.

IIRC last year when she was in the Ferns she played at GS with Folau or Ekenasio in front of her.

At the WC the Ferns will play Malawi, Barbados and Singapore in Preliminaries: Stage One and the Top 3 move to a new group to play 3 more games in Preliminaries: Stage 2 against 3 of the following – Australia, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe. After those Stage 2 games the Top 2 move to the Semi Finals, then Grand Final or 3/4 Play-off.

Clearly Folau and Ekenasio would be the staring 2 shooters with the 3/4 shooters as back-up in those Preliminary games. If the players are managed right the Top 2 will be the shooters of choice for the Semi Finals and whatever game comes after that. If the selectors pick Dunn and Selby-Rickitt in the team, I’d be happy with either on-court in any of those Preliminary games.

‘The best of the rest’ as you call it would include: Mes, Hume, Wilson, Halpenny, Falkner, Metuarau, Leaver, Selby-Rickitt and Heffernan. All eligible for the Silver Ferns and all have played GA at some stage for their teams. IMO the only serious names there are Mes, Wilson, Falkner and Selby-Rickitt. Given the post CGs review identified lack of experience at pinnacle events as a reason for the Ferns under performance at the CGs, and if Dunn is selected then IMO Falkner and Wilson would be out. So that leaves Mes and Selby-Rickitt. Based on current form I’d go with Selby-Rickitt.

So do you think other than Folau, Ekenasio and Dunn, that all the GA’s in the competition, have said pick me pick for the silver Ferns.   They have all played so well, it is going to so hard to pick the final shooting position?  This is what I mean by the best of the rest.  All the of them have had a good game and then they have had some pretty averages one.

I usually look at TPSR play NOT just her jogging back to the centre for the next past off.  Yes, I do think she is slow.  I agree the Folau has slowed but how many years of netball has she played and she is older than TPSR.  I also think Medhurst in Australian has slowed down but she is still quick.

I know you are a TPSR fan and that is fine, I’m not.  I still think she should be looked at for GS role.

Also I think Folau is going to be played at GS for the World cup, which is better for a slower player.

Kat

They don’t need an import. They just need to target a kiwi GA. SRicket, Metuarau, Falkner, Latu Meafou, Tui are ones they should target. And all will work well with Bird.

They will get one.

No need for import unless it’s a top international player

and if none of those players want to move? What then? back to Leaver/Beveridge?

Unsure Latu Meafou or Tui is the answer. Maybe as a back up shooter.

Tactix, need a fully developed GA if they want to win games, so that means an international. Seriously they need to look at VNSL and world cup teams.

The tactix has always been near the bottom of league, 10 or so years is getting a bit tiresome of not performing. They are close with the team they have this year plus Faka, but they need a GA.

Of all the names TS listed, Metuarau is the only one I’d look at. Selby-Rickitt move to the Tactix? Can’t see it happening. The others are not at the level Tactix need.

Now you suggest looking to the VNSL. Are you familiar with the GAs playing in that Competition? Holtzhausen is the only International who plays regularly at GA. Ella Clark has been in the Roses, but if you think S-R is slow then Clark is even slower and she is probably as tall as Bird. There are some very good GAs who are English but not in the Roses: Kathryn Turner and Sophie Drakeford-Lewis spring to mind. But Turner isn’t interested in International honours and is married so may not be able to move. Drakeford-Lewis is still young and developing so doesn’t fit your requirement for ‘fully developed’.

So, the other option is to wait until the World Cup and get over there to scout for a GA from Malawi or Jamaica. And watch Holtzhausen. They should already be familiar with her play given she has been in the Proteas for years. Any other GA worth looking at is already playing in the SSN.

Yes, I have seen the VNSL games, only one a week unfortunately.

Holtzhausen would be good.  I also think Drakeford lewis would be awesome, certainly fits the bill, very quick, accurate, and I would rate her better than some of the GA currently in the ANZ.    Also Semple would be good.  However I don’t think any of these players would be interested for coming to NZ.

A Malawi or Jamaican player would be good but I think they would struggle with the cold, and change of living environment.  They would have to be keen and want to make it work.

I just don’t want the Tactix to limit themselves to another NZ GA or a retired GA from elsewhere.  I

James

If Tactix can find a quality GA and keep the rest of the team together they could be real threats

IMO the team next year should be

Bird + 2 new shooters

Pedersen, Nathan, Poi, Elley

Faka, Watson, Fenwick

In regards to shooters I think you need a quality GS/GA back up and then a ready made GA

Cara Koenen from Lightning would be a good GS/GA back up but I think they should go a NZer as the back up.

For the starting GA if they do go an import I would go someone like Renske Stoltz from SA or Haythornthwaite (guessing O’Brien will come back for Swifts, which will leave Nat with nowhere to go in Aus)

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.