2019 ANZP ROUND 12 – TACTIX v STEEL

Home Forum New Zealand 2019 ANZP ROUND 12 – TACTIX v STEEL

This topic contains 63 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  James May 17, 2019 at 7:16 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Kat

I would say TP S-R has prob booked her spot to the WC, looked out of sorts from the 1st half of the anz, but is coming into some good form.

I hope not.  I fully admit I am not a fan of her.

I still would like to see her at GS if she does get picked for the ferns, she is so slow at GA.

Baller

I would say TP S-R has prob booked her spot to the WC, looked out of sorts from the 1st half of the anz, but is coming into some good form.

I hope not. I fully admit I am not a fan of her.

I still would like to see her at GS if she does get picked for the ferns, she is so slow at GA.

To be fair TPSR played very well last night (though didn’t shoot the long bombs likes Ekenasio or Folau).

TPSR is kinda like Rore who may/may not be in favour with the selection panel. However, they both deserve to be in the top 20.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

They don’t need an import.  They just need to target a kiwi GA. SRicket,  Metuarau, Falkner,  Latu Meafou,  Tui are ones they should target.  And all will work well with Bird.

They will get one.

No need for import unless it’s a top international player

Kat

They don’t need an import. They just need to target a kiwi GA. SRicket, Metuarau, Falkner, Latu Meafou, Tui are ones they should target. And all will work well with Bird.

They will get one.

and if none of those players want to move?  What then? back to Leaver/Beveridge?

Unsure Latu Meafou or Tui is the answer.  Maybe as a back up shooter.

Tactix, need a fully developed GA if they want to win games,  so that means an international. Seriously they need to look at VNSL and world cup teams.

The tactix has always been near the bottom of league, 10 or so years is getting a bit tiresome of not performing.  They are close with the team they have this year plus Faka, but they need a GA.

Kat

To be fair TPSR played very well last night (though didn’t shoot the long bombs likes Ekenasio or Folau).

TPSR is kinda like Rore who may/may not be in favour with the selection panel. However, they both deserve to be in the top 20.

I agree TPSR should be in the 20 squad but not keen on being in the Ferns.

As I have said previously the 3rd and 4th shooting position is tricky.  I think Dunn should take the 3rd but the 4th is a lottery.  Whoever they pick is like picking the best of the rest, not that they stood out and took it by the horns, so to speak.

mcleod

They don’t need an import. They just need to target a kiwi GA. SRicket, Metuarau, Falkner, Latu Meafou, Tui are ones they should target. And all will work well with Bird.

They will get one.

and if none of those players want to move? What then? back to Leaver/Beveridge?

Unsure Latu Meafou or Tui is the answer. Maybe as a back up shooter.

Tactix, need a fully developed GA if they want to win games, so that means an international. Seriously they need to look at VNSL and world cup teams.

The tactix has always been near the bottom of league, 10 or so years is getting a bit tiresome of not performing. They are close with the team they have this year plus Faka, but they need a GA.

They did not to bad in the 1st few years of the old ANZ, I went to games in Chch, and they beat the Swifts, Tbirds, Fever, Firebirds.  Then the EQ’s came and scared most people away, Jane Watson was there before the Steel, but quite frankly she was terrible, pre Steel days.

Yes they do need a GA, but who is a good question.

Last year they beat every team, and got very close to the final.  Leaver was a GA at the Steel, but she has been a waste of time.

Nesian

Doubt the Magic will sign Jen, they have Kelsey McPhee who has impressed me big time, prepared to shoot from anywhere.

McPhee is a very average shooter to be honest. She’s only at 81% which isn’t good for a GS. The ability isn’t being able to shoot from anywhere, it’s actually shooting and making it from anywhere.  I think they will have a go at Jen but whether she wants to move or not will be another story.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Jen was close to going to Magic last year.  Someone on here said something regarding it??

TrentA

They will get one.

and if none of those players want to move? What then? back to Leaver/Beveridge?

Unsure Latu Meafou or Tui is the answer. Maybe as a back up shooter.

Tactix, need a fully developed GA if they want to win games, so that means an international. Seriously they need to look at VNSL and world cup teams.

The tactix has always been near the bottom of league, 10 or so years is getting a bit tiresome of not performing. They are close with the team they have this year plus Faka, but they need a GA.

Of all the names TS listed, Metuarau is the only one I’d look at. Selby-Rickitt move to the Tactix? Can’t see it happening. The others are not at the level Tactix need.

Now you suggest looking to the VNSL. Are you familiar with the GAs playing in that Competition? Holtzhausen is the only International who plays regularly at GA. Ella Clark has been in the Roses, but if you think S-R is slow then Clark is even slower and she is probably as tall as Bird. There are some very good GAs who are English but not in the Roses: Kathryn Turner and Sophie Drakeford-Lewis spring to mind. But Turner isn’t interested in International honours and is married so may not be able to move. Drakeford-Lewis is still young and developing so doesn’t fit your requirement for ‘fully developed’.

So, the other option is to wait until the World Cup and get over there to scout for a GA from Malawi or Jamaica. And watch Holtzhausen. They should already be familiar with her play given she has been in the Proteas for years. Any other GA worth looking at is already playing in the SSN.

Mooz

Tactix should look at Kalifa McCollin. She plays GA and usually partners Sam Wallace in the Trinidad and Tobago shooting circle.

TrentA

What? slower than Folau? I was at the game last night and was amazed at how fast and agile she moved around the court and circle. Watching the game on TV they show close-ups and she always seems to look tired and a bit slow. But usually that is right after the shooting and she is making her way back to the transverse line for the CP. And also when her and Potgeiter mixed it up with Potgeiter coming out of the circle and S-R staying back I got them mixed up a couple of times as S-R took the ball under the hoop after taking the CP and getting back into the circle.

IIRC last year when she was in the Ferns she played at GS with Folau or Ekenasio in front of her.

At the WC the Ferns will play Malawi, Barbados and Singapore in Preliminaries: Stage One and the Top 3 move to a new group to play 3 more games in Preliminaries: Stage 2 against 3 of the following – Australia, Northern Ireland, Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe. After those Stage 2 games the Top 2 move to the Semi Finals, then Grand Final or 3/4 Play-off.

Clearly Folau and Ekenasio would be the staring 2 shooters with the 3/4 shooters as back-up in those Preliminary games. If the players are managed right the Top 2 will be the shooters of choice for the Semi Finals and whatever game comes after that. If the selectors pick Dunn and Selby-Rickitt in the team, I’d be happy with either on-court in any of those Preliminary games.

‘The best of the rest’ as you call it would include: Mes, Hume, Wilson, Halpenny, Falkner, Metuarau, Leaver, Selby-Rickitt and Heffernan. All eligible for the Silver Ferns and all have played GA at some stage for their teams. IMO the only serious names there are Mes, Wilson, Falkner and Selby-Rickitt. Given the post CGs review identified lack of experience at pinnacle events as a reason for the Ferns under performance at the CGs, and if Dunn is selected then IMO Falkner and Wilson would be out. So that leaves Mes and Selby-Rickitt. Based on current form I’d go with Selby-Rickitt.

mcleod

No GA is slower than Maria, Princess M hasn’t inspired me in her 3 outings yet..    But she will prob be back at GS for the Ferns, and Ekenasio, and whoever the other GA is, can do their thing.

Ash72

I’ll say it again:New Zealand needs to entice Chiara Semple back! What is the deal with her? Is she studying over here or has she made a permanent move? She would be perfect at Tactix and she is the “missing” shooter from the Ferns…..

mcleod

I’ll say it again:New Zealand needs to entice Chiara Semple back! What is the deal with her? Is she studying over here or has she made a permanent move? She would be perfect at Tactix and she is the “missing” shooter from the Ferns…..

Well isn’t she a English citizen now, so must be chasing to play for them.  Actually know nothing about her, apart from what Google told me.

Kat

Well isn’t she a English citizen now, so must be chasing to play for them. Actually know nothing about her, apart from what Google told me.

I think Semple would be a great pick up for the tactix.  But I think her heart is with the english roses.  She played u21 for England, so I don’t think she will be coming bank to NZ anytime soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.