2019 ANZP Pre-season tournament (Otaki Feb 8-10)

Home Forum New Zealand 2019 ANZP Pre-season tournament (Otaki Feb 8-10)

This topic contains 122 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  mcleod Feb 13, 2019 at 5:51 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Apples123

yeah she does have heaps to work on but Australia is seriously lacking options at gs after the two Caitlin’. Brice was a training partner in 2017 so that shows that they were looking at her for the future. Also in my opinion Australia does really well with tall shooters and brice being 196 cm she’s a standout for them. Their other options are corbin, stanton, Austin (but she’s a GA). In my opinion  if Australia go for a smaller attacking circle After the Caitlins retire they will struggle internationally especially against the NZ zone style as the space marking is great at combating against shorter shooters that cannot easily take the lobs from the middies.

mcleod

yeah she does have heaps to work on but Australia is seriously lacking options at gs after the two Caitlin’. Brice was a training partner in 2017 so that shows that they were looking at her for the future. Also in my opinion Australia does really well with tall shooters and brice being 196 cm she’s a standout for them. Their other options are corbin, stanton, Austin (but she’s a GA). In my opinion if Australia go for a smaller attacking circle After the Caitlins retire they will struggle internationally especially against the NZ zone style as the space marking is great at combating against shorter shooters that cannot easily take the lobs from the middies.

Well that is the issue with all the imports, I can see next year 7 of the 8 teams will be GS imports, and where does that leave Thwaites, with her and Mawi K at the Vixens.

Nesian

Maddy Gordon will turn 21 on the year of the world youth cup but in January is that couple of months too old?

It’s under 21 on the 1st of January 2021. So a player can be aged 21 and play, as long as they were aged 20 before the start of the year. I’m waffling but to me it makes sense.

I stand corrected then, I thought the cutoff dates were simlar to basketball so she could still be eligible which is good.

Grace Nweke has strong hands for a young tall player in their first year of ANZ and she can jump and take some high balls.

Definately someone to keep an eye out for the future.

Apples123

Im loving how teams are mixing it up. All teams seem to employ a man on man defence and then suddenly switch into a zone, really confusing attackers and middies.

minkie

Unless TP S-R does something amazing in the ANZ, her chances are slim making it to the world’s . Ekenasio is the number 1 GA, and from what I have seen on Monica Falkner and her amazing ability to gather the high ball, and her speed, she is ahead of TP by some margin already, Falkner had a poor ANZ in 2018, but under a new coach and with a different GS, she will be a new player.

I thought the same thing re TPSR. Looked lethargic and didn’t take control down in that attack end.

I feel Folau, Eke and Dunn are 3/4 shooters for NWC. Then it’s a battle for that final GA spot. Falkner could come and nab it from under Mes (sorry Minkie) and TSPR’s noses, if, she keeps playing the way she has this weekend.

Folau/Eka/Dunn yes, definitely.

TP no shes still not right.

If Falkner plays well then she deserves the spot.

I had doubts before, after Noels saying more than once ‘everyone would get a go’.  How many series later and I think Bailey was about the only one who didnt.

Given who Noels picked, Maia over Dunn and Mikare and our Laura.  Not being picked might be the better of 2 evils lol.  I’m very suss on Noels ‘rebuilding’ ideas.

All good hopefully there were/are good memories for B.

😊

mcleod

Will Taurua be Ferns coach after the world’s, or is it just a 9 month thing.  If not there won’t be Kopua or Langman because they only want to play under a certain coach.  Maria will prob retire.

Good clean out, and lets start again.

Maryann

Will Taurua be Ferns coach after the world’s, or is it just a 9 month thing. If not there won’t be Kopua or Langman because they only want to play under a certain coach. Maria will prob retire.

Taurua only has a 9 mth contract.  I think we will lose Kopua, Rore, Langman and possibly Eke after the worlds.

mcleod

Will Taurua be Ferns coach after the world’s, or is it just a 9 month thing. If not there won’t be Kopua or Langman because they only want to play under a certain coach. Maria will prob retire.

Taurua only has a 9 mth contract. I think we will lose Kopua, Rore, Langman and possibly Eke after the worlds.

I think Langman might stick around, but of course that will depend on who is coach!!!!!. Kopua is retiring we know that, and yes I feel Eke really doesn’t like leaving the Whanu behind.  But is finally starting to play her best Netball.  England will lose players as well, unless they want to hang around for the Com Games in England 2022.

Kat

The Pluse looked like the best team of the tournament, but I know they only took 10 players.  A lot of the other teams had some of the Beko players there and played them.  I am sure a lot of these teams will look a bit different when the season starts.

The steel also looked good but still some work needs to be done in the shooting circle, yes a know a new shooter.

The rest of the teams had moments of great play and then moments of really poor play.

I think any team can beat any other team on the day.  I hope there will be close games and there is a new winner of the league.

there is also some really exciting new talent coming through.

Looking forward to the season.

EastWest

yeah she does have heaps to work on but Australia is seriously lacking options at gs after the two Caitlin’. Brice was a training partner in 2017 so that shows that they were looking at her for the future. Also in my opinion Australia does really well with tall shooters and brice being 196 cm she’s a standout for them. Their other options are corbin, stanton, Austin (but she’s a GA). In my opinion if Australia go for a smaller attacking circle After the Caitlins retire they will struggle internationally especially against the NZ zone style as the space marking is great at combating against shorter shooters that cannot easily take the lobs from the middies.

Corbin?

EastWest

Corbin?

Oh. You must mean Garbin. Ok gotcha.

I think it will take Brice and Hodges a little bit to figure out the NZ style. Not just the defence but the attackings set ups, the players around them also need to adjust to their style. Hodges in particular hasn’t had much exposure to international styles and would still have very fresh junior drills imbedded in her play.

mcleod

Yes most overseas players, who have played in NZ take time to figure out the NZ style.  The space marking is the biggest hurdle, plus the zone.

Some players never come to grips with it.

Ian

Games from yesterday…

Pulse vs Stars

2019 Pre-season Tournament Session 3 – Pulse vs Stars

Posted by Te Wānanga o Raukawa on Friday, 8 February 2019

Ian

Steel vs Mystics

2019 Pre-season Tournament Session 3 – Steel vs Mystics

Ian

Tactix vs Magic

2019 Pre-season Tournament Session 4 – Tactix vs Magic

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.