2019-2020 Silver Ferns Squads Announced

Home Forum New Zealand 2019-2020 Silver Ferns Squads Announced

This topic contains 50 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Pardalote Sep 15, 2019 at 11:55 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Marrietta

Cullen….. Suncorp contract so have approval?

I was pretty sure that would happen. I’d say NNZ learnt their lesson from Laura Langman. Not that there will be open slather for NZ players playing in the SSN but for someone like Kayla Cullen who is still a valuable player but now lives in Australia there wull be flexibility. Of course the aussie coach has already singled she aint happy having NZ top level players being ‘trained’ according to her, in the SSN. In my opinion it works both ways- the knowledge that NZ player gains she also gives. Her aussie team mates will get to know her strengths and weaknesses.Demystification is a valuable tool.!Similarly with Noeline as a coach. For myself I prefer our top players to play in the ANZ PREMIERSHIP. I would love to see Laura Langman back in NZ playing for one of our teams.

Marrietta

This is a really silly question. BUT can you be retired domestically but not internationally?

I don’t think there is any rule against it, but would a coach pick a player to play internationally if they haven’t played a domestic season. If your talking about Folau or Langman, they could, but come next year when they haven’t had any the game time, there probably not worth selecting.

Langman made the Ferns last year after playing club Netball in Waikato, and no SSN or ANZ at all in 2018.

But I see both Maria and Laura playing the SSN in 2020.

I definitely see Maria playing Suncorp because she now lives in Australia. But I’m not so sure about Laura. Might be wishful thinking on my part.i’d love to see her back in NZ playing in one of our ANZ teams.

Marrietta

I’m hoping Karaka  gets the nod at GD. She has decent height, great elevation, and she also has good speed.

I agree with your comment re Karaka.I think she has never quite reached her potential though.

minkie

Has Kayla signed with a SSN team?

hiphop

RE Cullen – I would be really disappointed if a NZA squad player is selected for a SSN team ahead of a local player. Before the Kiwi fans jump up and down I feel the same way about Francis playing for the Fever.

minkie

RE Cullen – I would be really disappointed if a NZA squad player is selected for a SSN team ahead of a local player. Before the Kiwi fans jump up and down I feel the same way about Francis playing for the Fever.

No jumping from me

I agree 100%

Not knocking the NZA players at all.  Poi was one and now she’s not 😊

But for the Aus youngsters trying to come through, there should be a limit, 1 import per team.  And yes yes the youngsters are getting the chance, ppls repeatedly tell me.

Where are they then?

mcleod

Has Kayla signed with a SSN team?

Not that I know off, what club needs a WD/GD that struggles to play full games.  Hubby to be plays his Rugby League in Sydney.

The Swifts and Giants don’t need Kayla  Maybe the Magpies and Tbirds are the options, or Vixens to replace Ingles, but they seem to favor the Aus players.

hiphop

No jumping from me

I agree 100%

But for the Aus youngsters trying to come through, there should be a limit, 1 import per team.  And yes yes the youngsters are getting the chance, ppls repeatedly tell me.

Where are they then?

Garbin, Koenen, Glasgow and Austin have all gotten court time in goals this year. Anstiss, JLP, Mimi and Petty in the midcourt. Turner, Eddy (before her injury), Hincliffe and Jenner in defence. That’s a handy 12 person squad who are all under 23.

I don’t agree with a cap on imports as I think having someone like Laura Langman as the benchmark that our local players now aim for is incredible. The same can be said for the other world’s best players like Karla P, Geva and JFR. But I don’t want us to go down the path that NZ teams have been suckered into which is taking mid range player from another country over some local players.

netballcrazy1

No jumping from me

I agree 100%

Where are they then?

Garbin, Koenen, Glasgow and Austin have all gotten court time in goals this year. Anstiss, JLP, Mimi and Petty in the midcourt. Turner, Eddy (before her injury), Hincliffe and Jenner in defence. That’s a handy 12 person squad who are all under 23.

I don’t agree with a cap on imports as I think having someone like Laura Langman as the benchmark that our local players now aim for is incredible. The same can be said for the other world’s best players like Karla P, Geva and JFR. But I don’t want us to go down the path that NZ teams have been suckered into which is taking mid range player from another country over some local players.

Agree I think the good thing is that our imports are mostly all of superb standard, a great benchmark for locals and NT has rewarded a player such as Koenan when reached a level where she could match the same standard/experience as Proscovia.

tasman

No jumping from me

I agree 100%

Where are they then?

Totally agree. Just because a player is in the regular starting seven, it doesn’t make then automatically a senior player. There are plenty of young players who will still be around after 2-3 CWG/WC cycles and a merit based selection system will ultimately create healthy competition.

I hate that NZ teams select players like Hodges, Latu-Meafou, Manua or Khao Watts back in the days, who are developing players that need senior player support. I would welcome someone like Mkoloma, Thwaites or JFR to come back, who will have an impact on developing young players, which is what the ANZC is about.

The vision for SSN is to grow the netball fan base in Australia, and may be to a lesser extent and indirectly, the world. I.e, it has to attract people that are not following it right now. Us netball fans care about players beyond this competition but chances are that having the best players in the world with a fierce and exciting competition weekly is what will hopefully attract new fans. The SSN is not going to get new teams without more money from sponsors, who care about ratings and game attendance. So if a few young players are being overlooked for a contract now, for the long term gain of the sport – hopefully more teams – which would mean more opportunities for young players in the long run, isn’t that an opportunity cost worth taking? Import caps will be a move backwards for the game within Australia and internationally.

NettySuperFan

Yep, yep and yep. 100% agree with that.

al_ex

Aussie girls “deserve a chance”. Do empowering women like Proscovia (who was poisoned and had to defy her father to pursue her dream), Maweni (who grew up in one of the poorest and most dangerous slums in the world) and Kumwenda (who had to walk 8 km each way to school every day barefoot and help her mum grow maize because her dad died when she was a child) deserve chances? Can we stop pretending that Australian girls in general have it tough when it comes to opportunity. I’m not saying that there are none who do but I can’t see many who are waiting in the wings for an SSN contract.

minkie

Hey it’s absolutely no loss to me whether Aus decides to give everyone in the world a chance.  It’ll bite them on the bum sooner or later.

TACTIXSUPPORTER

Elliot missing from all ANZ teams and now NZA.

Such a waste of talent.  Should have got a contract at ANZ level at least

Jinxibo

Aussie girls “deserve a chance”. Do empowering women like Proscovia (who was poisoned and had to defy her father to pursue her dream), Maweni (who grew up in one of the poorest and most dangerous slums in the world) and Kumwenda (who had to walk 8 km each way to school every day barefoot and help her mum grow maize because her dad died when she was a child) deserve chances? Can we stop pretending that Australian girls in general have it tough when it comes to opportunity. I’m not saying that there are none who do but I can’t see many who are waiting in the wings for an SSN contract.

+1

You have to accept that,

• not all the emerging young netball talent will be Australian and not allowing them to play in SSN will mean it is not the best league in the world,
    • having top international players from other countries playing in SSN will enable any potential diamonds to be exposed of other styles of netball, this can only be a plus
    • some of the concerns raised could be fixed by changes to the SSN set-up, namely squads of 12

:hi:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.