2018 – COMMONWEALTH GAMES DAY 11 (Apr 15) Gold medal game: Aust v Eng

Home Forum International 2018 – COMMONWEALTH GAMES DAY 11 (Apr 15) Gold medal game: Aust v Eng

This topic contains 331 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  mcleod Apr 21, 2019 at 6:21 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 332 total)
  • Author
    Jinxibo

Sour grapes : we all knew here it was going to be Diamonds England or Jamaica : hope England organizes a big welcoming homecoming especially at the airport

For all 6 of them :lol:

The rest are in Aus or NZ in Ama’s case.

That’s right. EBC, Jade C, Nat H, Corbin, Cobden and Gibson arrived at Heathrow to waving crowds of mainly school kids.   :welcome:

triton

At the very last instance I think she jabbed her arm out towards HH then thought better of it and quickly drew her arm back?

I watched it several times too, correct call, she did she raised her arm then quickly retracted it, sometimes just a natural reaction she realised it after.

The bigger problem was what led up to it. She just stopped and became a spectator. Didn’t attempt to rebound Harten’s shot and didn’t contest, or even turn towards, Housby’s shot, or notice that she was inside three feet for it.

JR

I also think that Rav was lucky to get away with having her offside at the top of the circle unnoticed in that last moment

Really, I am going back again again to look at that. She wasn’t even in the play from what I remember, so it’s interesting she went offside. MMMMMM….

Hey Triton, I reckon you’re being a bit harsh on Bruce. Like I’ve written before, lots happened then in that last minute to contribute to England getting that winning goal. And that included what happened BEFORE England’s final Centre Pass. And indeed, what happened throughout the game contributed to Australia coming up a teeny bit short.

triton

I’m not saying that was the sole cause of the loss, and I don’t think I’m being harsh. If she made a mistake actually defending, trying her best to stop a goal being scored and got an obstruction call, that would be okay. Happens all the time. But she totally stopped doing her job at the most critical moment of the game.

JR

I’m not saying that was the sole cause of the loss, and I don’t think I’m being harsh.

Okey dokey.

mcleod

Well I reckon Harten was very close to stepping when she got the ball 1st time, then passed to the WA.  The final 20 seconds plus celebrations are on You Tube.

TheBroadbean

A girl that I know went to Heathrow (she is a schoolgirl) and met the team. She’s a massive fan and does a lot for netball in York considering she’s only 14.

She got to wear Jodie Gibson’s gold medal and got pictures with all the players (plus Alex Danson the hockey player).

It was a really nice welcome back for them and I think they were surprised as netball barely gets a mention in the UK but they’ve been all over the newspapers, interviews on the TV and the Radio. Really chuffed for them as they fully deserve it.

Participation in netball (ie Back to Netball sessions) have increased massively which is brilliant.

minkie

That’s neat to hear ??

Danny

At the very last instance I think she jabbed her arm out towards HH then thought better of it and quickly drew her arm back?

I watched it several times too, correct call, she did she raised her arm then quickly retracted it, sometimes just a natural reaction she realised it after.

The bigger problem was what led up to it. She just stopped and became a spectator. Didn’t attempt to rebound Harten’s shot and didn’t contest, or even turn towards, Housby’s shot, or notice that she was inside three feet for it.

Thats why i was abit surprised Lisa didnt bring Laura back onto the court having her experience in the circle might have made a difference in those big pressure moments rather then having 2 inexperienced circle defenders at commonwealth games level. Courtney certainly has improved  alot but sometimes gives away silly penalties and can be costly, wasnt meant to be and there will always be the what ifs. Very happy for England and world netball  :-D

JR

Great post TheBroadbean.

Ash72

Yes great post Broadbean……With regard to all the scrutiny of what Bruce did or didn’t do to end up with England getting that penalty: all I’m going to say is that I didn’t actually think we’d be in a match-winning situation with seconds left on the clock and Australia literally took their eye off the ball in that match and Bruce is not singularly responsible for our win. I think the ease with which the Diamonds sailed through to the final did them no favours ultimately and when they finally did come  up against a team who could challenge them they were found wanting…..I’m not arrogant enough to think this will happen at WC 2019 as I know we just took an opportunity which presented itself (finally!!!), I’m just hoping we’ve got a new strategy to deal with what the Diamonds bring in our next encounter…

Pardalote

.I’m not arrogant enough to think this will happen at WC 2019

Be careful of the ‘Home Team Curse’: 2015 (when the Diamonds won in Sydney) is the anomaly. Go back to Christchurch in 1999 when NZ were raging favourites and lost by that famous McMahon shot, then 2007 in Auckland. The only time the Ferns won was when they were a long way from home, in Delhi, Jamaica and Melbourne. Australia lost in Melbourne in 2006 and in Gold Coast in 2018, and England won on the other side of the world in 2018. So, based on that data set, you guys are toast next year – the only question remains who will beat you. In the interest of romance and the development of netball, I am voting for South Africa

Marksa7

Wow!  Teresa May pointed out English netball victory to Malcolm Turnbull on camera during his current visit.

brad1980

I really want to re-watch the Gold Medal Match.. It looks like the Comm Games App is no longer available to watch replays.
    Any idea if there is a way to view this online? it is not uploaded on YouTube and i didn’t record the game either….

Ian

This is one of those things I can never get over. Fans aren’t allowed to put them on YouTube and yet it’s a battle to find them anywhere else.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 332 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.